choose a motor and mods for my car. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
choose a motor and mods for my car.

i have 2 motors to choose from..

1. 306 crate roller motor with stock e7 heads and stock mustang roller camshaft.

2. 289 fresh build and bone stock from the heads down.

both are fresh and run good. both stock with carburetors. this motor is going into my 66 mustang and will see only playtime duty. it has from spinning the tires to the occasional trips to the track for bracket racing in street class.

i only have 200-400 dollars to mod. i'm torn between getting a stall converter, or cam and some other small mods. i already have try-y headers and a performer intake. also both motors have an edelbrock carb. been thinking of spending the money on a holley.

both motors have cast pistons. what to do what to do....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
rob

Trader Feedback: (23)

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
While I like a rev happy 289, the 306 with the hyd roller is the way to go. 19 extra cubes does not hurt either.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Also voting for #1. I wouldn't change the cam, but I would put roller rockers on it if it doesn't have them already. I'd also just tune the Edelbrock carb. They are good "street" carbs.

No idea what transmission you have (C4 I'm guessing) but I'd look for something with 2400-2600 stall.
post #5 of 10 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

I'd run the 306. Leave it as is it'll have plenty of power especially for something that light.

Is the 289 a numbers matching type of deal for your car? If not I'd entertain unloading it for some extra mod/gas/tire money.

Having no background knowledge of the rest of your car, I'd think a decent converter, a set of gears and good set of tires would be money well spent.
post #6 of 10 Old Today, 07:54 AM

306 and a different torque converter will be fun in that mustang. Don't forget tires too if your gonna be bracket racing
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
Also voting for #1. I wouldn't change the cam, but I would put roller rockers on it if it doesn't have them already. I'd also just tune the Edelbrock carb. They are good "street" carbs.

No idea what transmission you have (C4 I'm guessing) but I'd look for something with 2400-2600 stall.
yes its a C4. i have 2 different ones.... but both identical and both fresh.
post #8 of 10 Old Today, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemp301 View Post
I'd run the 306. Leave it as is it'll have plenty of power especially for something that light.

Is the 289 a numbers matching type of deal for your car? If not I'd entertain unloading it for some extra mod/gas/tire money.

Having no background knowledge of the rest of your car, I'd think a decent converter, a set of gears and good set of tires would be money well spent.
it's not a numbers matching thing. my car was originally a 6cyl. i swapped it over with an 8 inch rear from a v8 car and the front breaks/spindles from a granada giving me 5lug disk breaks.

it has 4.11's in the rear with a spool. it does need tires.. wasnt really thinking drag radials because it never makes enough hp to spin at the track lol
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 10:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
4.11's.....get and set up an AOD properly and that would be a fun combo. I'd question if it makes enough power to warrant DR's. If it's just a fun toy, regular tires are probably good enough and won't cost as much to replace after you've done a bunch of miles, burnouts and such.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
4.11's.....get and set up an AOD properly and that would be a fun combo. I'd question if it makes enough power to warrant DR's. If it's just a fun toy, regular tires are probably good enough and won't cost as much to replace after you've done a bunch of miles, burnouts and such.
i had one in there when it was fuel injected back years ago.. the AOD didnt live up to my abuse.. no fault of its own... but i'm hard on parts. lol

i would love the ability to cruise it around at highway speeds... and have thought of a t5 or tremec... but really not in the budget now. i was gonna install the original 3.0 gears back in it.... but i cant find them in the shop. dont know if they were thrown away for scrap or i just havent looked in the right corner yet. i built the rear end when i was 18 and i'm 43 now. but hardly ever throw things away so there is a chance i will find them. i'm with you on the regular tires... at the track its between a 9.5 and 10.0 on bracket race nights. now back in the day with a different combo it was a nice mid 7 second ride with a hotter motor and nitrous. i ran slicks then. but that was many moons ago and i have more dedicated race cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement