Ford Mustang Forums banner

306 tfs 11r 190 w/fti cam

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  taco 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am looking to upgrade the gt50p heads I have in my 306 in favor of some tfs 11r 190 heads. I have a custom grind Ed Curtis cam .555/.558 220/224 @.050 111° lsa explorer intake (probably would have it ported) 24lb injectors, Long tubes, off-road h, all ran through a t-5 with 3.73 rear end gears. Any idea what hp/tq I might see with this setup? How high of compression can one run on pump gas? 10.5-1? Hp estimate at 10.5-1? All else being equal..?

#3 ·
I’d ditch the explorer intake and get something else (sm2, performer rpm, etc). With the correct top end, there’s no reason you won’t see a good bit more than 300hp+

#4 ·
Did Ed spec that cam for your current combo or is that an Ed cam for some other combo? It IMO isn't a bad fit for your current combo but it isn't what I would have expected to see.

The explorer intake is holding you back. Through a manual transmission with a ported explorer I would expect 315 to the wheels. With a better intake, more cam, more RPM and all the little bolt on pieces that go along with it those heads have been known to be in the 350+ to the wheels range on a healthy stock short block.

#8 ·
My advice which is worth exactly what you paid for it.....

Go with the Holley Systemax II if you want the most peak power. Yes having the gt40 style intake ported would make a measurable gain over an unported gt40 style but still come up short of a Systemax II.

Cam:

1) Run the cam you have with 1.6 intake rockers and 1.72 exhaust rockers. Since you probably don't already have rockers for 7/16 studs this is the free option.

2) Shelf cams. Each bigger step will move the powerband higher taking some low end away for more top end.

A) COMP XE270HR 35-324-8 218/224 @ 0.050
B) Lunati Voodoo 20350711 221/229 @ 0.050
C) COMP XE274 HR 35-518-8 224/232 @ 0.050

3) A new FTI cam for your new heads and intake. This of course will be the best and most expensive option.

#7 ·
with that 306 and milder cam, the Holley or an RPM2 is probably marginally better than a ported Explorer. Those two will make more peak power but the Explorer would likely be stronger in the mid range with averages across the rpm band up to 6k being pretty close on any choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.