Ford Mustang Forums banner

Help with head selection

736 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ed Curtis 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 408 or 427 (351W block) for my 94 Cobra. I'm lucky enough to live in CA, so I need the exhaust bung on top of the exhaust header passenger side header to be connectable. I know I can get this with an AFR 185 set of heads, and those have the CA BAR blessing of approval for smog purposes. Is there anyway to make this work on a larger AFR set of heads and make it look like it's a 185 for passing the visibility test? Any suggestions are certainly welcome except for a move to another state idea.

#5 ·
Exactly! So the question remains as I'd like to be able to adequately feed the larger cube displacement. Any other heads or solutions for my situation. I can probably get a the slightly bigger Windsor past an inspection if it has all of the hardware hooked up to it.

#6 ·
i thought AFR 195 were smog legal? But it does sound like to me also you are refering to external EGR tube not Thermactor ports in the heads

#8 ·
According to AFR the 165, 185 and 195 are emissions legal, but only the 165 and 185 have the BAR number from CA :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.