Weiand Stealth to GT40 Iron Heads? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tjm73
  • 2 Post By tmoss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Weiand Stealth to GT40 Iron Heads?

As the title implies, I have a "vintage" USA made Weiand Stealth intake and I have a set of GT40 iron heads off a '94 Cobra. Both seem to call for a 1250 size intake gasket. I was looking at the intake tonight and also at the intake ports on the GT40's. I didn't measure them, but it looks like the intake port is a smidge smaller than the intake port on the head.

This got me to wondering. How much, if any, benefit is there in port matching in this situation? The build these will be used on will be a deep budget build 302 that is not for max power. It will be for a light weight hot rod project and use a B303 that I already have. I know there are better cams, but I have this B303 and it makes the right noises for the hot rod I want to build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 AM

If the intake ports are smaller than the cylinder head ports, my inner redneck says run it.

88GT with the 5.slow
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 12:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
and use a B303 that I already have. I know there are better cams, but I have this B303 and it makes the right noises for the hot rod I want to build.
Blasphemy! There is no better cam than the B cam

1993 Cobra #1282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 12:41 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
I ha the exact same setup sometime in the mid 90's, ran fine. Put it together or overthink it, end result will be the same.

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure to sign up for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
I ha the exact same setup sometime in the mid 90's, ran fine. Put it together or overthink it, end result will be the same.
Put it together it is! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadude View Post
Blasphemy! There is no better cam than the B cam
Please forgive me it did not mean to take at the B-cam in vein.
thadude likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Just curious.. why not hit the intake ports with a sanding roll to clean them up and match now while its apart? Then when you put it together you wont think about it and wonder what if... It may not be much performance gain but better for your mental health when its back together. lol

1968 Torino GT 302 GT40Y TFS1 - 318HP/318TQ G-Force T5 Strange 9" 4.30's 12.29 ET 110 MPH 1.71 60'
1993 LX 5.0 5 speed reef blue black gut 5 lug swapped.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

I'd rather spend time, energy and money better optimizing the short block for the cam/head combo.

I have my intake and my heads and my camshaft selected. Carb will be a 650. Static compression for 87 octane fuel is the next item on my list of concerns. I've read the alphabet cams need 10+ static, but I don't know if an iron head will tolerate 10+ and 87 fuel in a light weight low geared (4.10's) car. I think it will, but not sure. Temps need to be kept low (proper cooling system) and load needs to be managed (don't lug it).

EDIT: I was in my shop tonight so I measured the ports. The intake is 1" wide x 1 7/8" tall. The intake port on the heads is 1 1/8" wide x 1 7/8" tall.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (48)
Garage
air flow is slowest adjacent to the casting, so there is minimal impact for slight mismatches. If the port is smaller than the intake, you start to create a vena contracta and flow is reduced.
Ed Curtis and mikeymac like this.

Tom Moss
2010 Shelby GT500 vert with 2.9L 16 psi Whipple and rim upgrade. Rated 750HP/713TQ - 673/620 to the tire

src="/forums/images/smilies/salute.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Salute" class="inlineimg" />http://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement