3Likes
  • 1 Post By strokeme
  • 1 Post By thadude
  • 1 Post By 91ntchdream

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
In a dilemma

I need get my 302 freshened up. I have a 82 351W block.
Let’s start with my pockets ain’t very deep. I’ll be running a 5 speed and 150 shot.
Should I go 306 or try to rebuild the 351?
Who should I buy my 306 kit from? If you can’t tell im lost and appreciate any input and help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
No kit to buy, buy the cheapest piston and ring you find on summit, balance the crank, hone the block, put it together

thadude likes this.

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure to sign up for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #3 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Would I be better off and not cost much more to do a 331 or 347? How much money am I looking at? 306 vs 331 or 347?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 PM

What are you putting it in? Do you already have an oil pan, distributor, motor mounts, etc?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
define deep pockets? You have X amount to spend just on the engine, what is X?

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at

Make sure to sign up for

The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 09:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
No kit to buy, buy the cheapest piston and ring you find on summit, balance the crank, hone the block, put it together
This

Get back out there and party with the dang thing
91ntchdream likes this.

1993 Cobra #1282
post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgo92 View Post
Would I be better off and not cost much more to do a 331 or 347? How much money am I looking at? 306 vs 331 or 347?
It will be much cheaper if you just hone the block and throw the same size pistons in there. A 306/331/347 is going to need to be bored and the block clearanced for the stroker. Building an all new 306vs331/347 the price is a couple hundred difference. I was just looking into it 9 months ago when I ordered my engine. When people bore, its to fix/clean up the cyl walls (usually)... the power difference between a 302 and a 306 is negligible assuming all things are the same but in your case you would reuse the rods an crank so its still a lot cheaper than a new 306. Im not going to talk you out of a stroker, im just saying if youre on a budget like you said in your first post, this is the cheapest way to get a engine back in the car that is fresh. Making it a 306 or any other larger combination will cost more money. If you already have a rebuildable 302 that doesnt need to be bored, save the money and just stay 302 and have the crank turned or polished depending on how it looks and get it rebalanced. My first 302 was a "poor mans" rebuild. I cleaned and reused the stock pistons, rods and crank and did no machine work. Threw new bearings, rings and gaskets in it and I literally drove that car every single day for 7 years even when it snowed. That engine still runs. I have it sitting on an engine stand waiting to go into another project down the line.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

So just keep stock pistons and just re ring it?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowgo92 View Post
So just keep stock pistons and just re ring it?
Are you planning on keeping the car? If I was in your situation would do what was recommended - do it cheapest way now and spray and pray.

Then if your keeping the car start slowly dumping money into the 351w build as it will take you Far further when you get a little to happy with the spray on the 302 or 306... Focus on fun and establishing a connection with the car now with the low money build - but know you will want more - and if you keep the 351w and build it, do that one correctly and slowly then blow the one you rebuild now and put the "built" Windsor in That would be my plan of action anyway - otherwise it will cost more, and I see far to many people - myself included that have life happen and end up having to sell the cars before they get the connection with them, going the cheap 302/306 route now will establish memories and you will want to go faster.
thadude likes this.

1983 4 Eye Notch - 347 fixing what previous owner did and attempting to dial it in
post #10 of 10 Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I’ll have it till the day I die. Unless someone in my family gets sick and needs money. That the only way it leave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement