Best cheap aluminum bolt on heads - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Unread 06-11-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Best cheap aluminum bolt on heads

I'm looking for a cheap set of aluminum heads to bolt to a 95 351w. I'm doing a rebuild and my heads are in a bad way and need everything, I can't imagine rebuilding them for less than $600. So I was wondering how much a set of cheap aluminum heads would cost me or if I'd be better off with rebuilding these choker e7's.
This is more for weight and economy than performance, but I imagine any aluminum head will whup my e7te's on the performance side.

I'm hoping for something that can re-use my factory rockers and pushrods to save money.

What's the best all in cost going to be?

EDIT: I don't mean so cheap that I have to deal with junk not working or breaking random stuff. I mean cheap but still somewhat reliable.
Thanks

66 Mustang coupe custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Unread 06-12-2019, 09:47 AM

I would seriously consider buying a used set of nicer aftermarket heads. For probably less than $1000. Think AFR, Trick Flow, etc.

I bought some pro comp junk heads with the same mindset you had and it bit me in the buttocks.
The intake ports were so far they were horrible. I wouldn’t use them and sold them for a $200 loss and moved on and bought new Trick Flow 11rs.

I promise you, save a few extra pennies and skip the temptation to by the $600 eBay heads.
Don’t ask me how I know.
Used sets of heads come up often for around $1000. Sometime less.
Search the bejeezers out of the inter web.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #3 of 13 Unread 06-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
And if you aren't looking for all out performance, a used set of Ford X or Y heads will also do and cheaper than AFR and Trickflow.

1968 Torino GT 302 GT40Y TFS1 - 318HP/318TQ G-Force T5 Strange 9" 4.30's 12.31 ET 110 MPH 1.77 60'
1993 LX 5.0 5 speed reef blue black gut 5 lug swapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Unread 06-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymac View Post
And if you aren't looking for all out performance, a used set of Ford X or Y heads will also do and cheaper than AFR and Trickflow.

Good point.

post #5 of 13 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
My cousin used a set of flo-tek heads on his 66'. For nothing more than a driver they worked fine. I went through a new set for a different guy and to get them where I would consider them useable, he could have bought a much nicer head.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
post #6 of 13 Unread 06-12-2019, 02:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
post #7 of 13 Unread 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM

x2

the gt40 series heads seems like its most ideal for you

DIY Tuning -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TMoss Porting - tmoss.efidynotuning.com
post #8 of 13 Unread 06-13-2019, 01:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
From what I have been reading the Skip White heads are pretty good for the money.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #9 of 13 Unread 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post
From what I have been reading the Skip White heads are pretty good for the money.
https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...ord-274_90210/

I'm really looking at these. I know core shift and such can be a problem, but my real fear with the chinese heads are the valve train QC. These seem to be built with decent quality stuff. And I can always send them back if the holes don't line up.

Any thoughts on these?

I know I'll need hardened pushrods, studs, and guideplates too. Is it correct to assume I can reuse my factory rocker arms?

66 Mustang coupe custom
post #10 of 13 Unread 06-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copracr View Post

I'm really looking at these. I know core shift and such can be a problem, but my real fear with the chinese heads are the valve train QC. These seem to be built with decent quality stuff. And I can always send them back if the holes don't line up.

Any thoughts on these?

I know I'll need hardened pushrods, studs, and guideplates too. Is it correct to assume I can reuse my factory rocker arms?
I agree, they go through pretty extensive lengths to show he installs quality components in the heads. I personally have no real world experience with these but I am planning on trying a set of these in the truck I am building. Not sure if you can use factory rockers on these. Ive always run roller rockers with aftermarket heads.

Turbo Teal 95 GT 5 speed, Creb Engineering 331 10.2:1, TFS 190 56cc 11R heads, Victor 5.0 intake, F-cam, Siemens 80s, HP hotside, custom coldside, Moates QH T4M2 custom tune by me, 91 octane 560HP 602TQ
***E85 coming soon***
post #11 of 13 Unread Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwain View Post

Any thoughts on these?

I've got a set of afr 165s with Ford svo b351 1.6 roller rockers for $1000. I'm also In ohio
post #12 of 13 Unread Today, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts on these?

Do some research into his repudiation.
post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaxripstick View Post
I've got a set of afr 165s with Ford svo b351 1.6 roller rockers for $1000. I'm also In ohio

This.....,
Problem solved.... with Rockers.
You will be so much ahead!!
And those are great heads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement