• 1 Post By Dono2
  • 3 Post By strokeme
  • 1 Post By strokeme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Trader Feedback: (23)
Question Cometic Intake Gasket

I bought a second set of cometic intake gaskets after having my first set fail. It develop a vacuum leak that was throwing the AFRs haywire and oil was being sucked in as well.
Now, these gaskets state that retorque and additional sealants arenít required, except in a street application a slight RTV around the water ports is recommended. So I didnít retorqued or used Gasgacinch, but I did use some RTV. I tried to retorque after driving for a while, but it actually got worse.

Has anyone used them successfully? Should I use Gasgacinch and retorque even does it says is not needed?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Ď93 Mustang GT ZSR Dart 347, TFS 190 11R Heads, FTI Cam, TFS Box R Intake...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous View Post
I bought a second set of cometic intake gaskets after having my first set fail. It develop a vacuum leak that was throwing the AFRs haywire and oil was being sucked in as well.
Now, these gaskets state that retorque and additional sealants aren’t required, except in a street application a slight RTV around the water ports is recommended. So I didn’t retorqued or used Gasgacinch, but I did use some RTV. I tried to retorque after driving for a while, but it actually got worse.

Has anyone used them successfully? Should I use Gasgacinch and retorque even does it says is not needed?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Use Explorer gaskets or Fel-Pro 1262-S3 intake gaskets. Use a small amount of the Right Stuff around the water ports and in the corners where the heads meet the end rails. I Gaskesinch my intake gaskets in place first. It helps to keep them from moving around. You definitely need to retorque after some heat cycles.
Also; check lower intake fitment to heads. Is there more gap one one side or the other? What are you using on the end rails? Cork gasket or the Right Stuff?

CHP/CPR (Coast High Performance) / (Custom Performance Racing Engines)347 lasted a whopping 500 miles due to poor machining, metal debris in main bearings, damaged cam bearing and a balance job that was off 64ozs!
Buyer Beware.
post #3 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthangas View Post
Use Explorer gaskets or Fel-Pro 1262-S3 intake gaskets. Use a small amount of the Right Stuff around the water ports and in the corners where the heads meet the end rails. I Gaskesinch my intake gaskets in place first. It helps to keep them from moving around. You definitely need to retorque after some heat cycles.
Also; check lower intake fitment to heads. Is there more gap one one side or the other? What are you using on the end rails? Cork gasket or the Right Stuff?
Lower fitment to the heads is perfect with these gaskets. Thicker than average and helps with the port alignment. I just use RTV ultra black at the end rails, which is what the engine builder recommended.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I had bought an Edelbrock rpm intake a few months after they had came out and done everything by spec when I installed it,including a retorque after the first heat cycle.Weeks later,my coolant level began to drop,but external leaks were not present.I checked the oil and sure enough,it looked like a milkshake,so I assumed I must have done something wrong during the installation.I drained the oil and reinstalled a new intake gasket along with a new oil filter and oil.Once again,weeks later,the coolant level began to drop and after checking the oil,the milkshake was present again.So I knew I couldn't have done a bad install twice,so I pulled the intake and took it to the machine shop.Turns out,a couple of the passages were out by 0.90" on both banks of the intake & coolant was escaping around these areas.This was a brand new intake too.So before you install a new gasket,make sure to check the intake with a straight edge at least.Im not sure of the maximum allowable amount an intake can have,before leaking will occur,but it wouldn't hurt to give yours a quick check.Was it obvious where the leak occurred once you got the intake removed?? What did you use at the end rails?? Cork,rubber or rtv?? Another thing I like to do for an intake install is to buy 6 bolts that are the same thread and pitch as the intake bolts,but much longer in length (3") I screw them into place,1 at each corner of the intake and 1 in the middle on both sides.Then lay the gaskets in place over these bolts,lay whichever type of end rail gaskets you're using in place and lower the intake into place.Install all of the oem size bolts in every empty bolt hole,then remove 1 of the 6 long bolts,replace it with a oem size bolt then do the same to the remaining long bolts.This will prevent the gaskets from moving around.If you're using the original intake bolts or cheap bolts,I recommend that you replace them with ARP or something similar.Ive had numerous broken intake bolts from reusing them more than once.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2rock View Post
I had bought an Edelbrock rpm intake a few months after they had came out and done everything by spec when I installed it,including a retorque after the first heat cycle.Weeks later,my coolant level began to drop,but external leaks were not present.I checked the oil and sure enough,it looked like a milkshake,so I assumed I must have done something wrong during the installation.I drained the oil and reinstalled a new intake gasket along with a new oil filter and oil.Once again,weeks later,the coolant level began to drop and after checking the oil,the milkshake was present again.So I knew I couldn't have done a bad install twice,so I pulled the intake and took it to the machine shop.Turns out,a couple of the passages were out by 0.90" on both banks of the intake & coolant was escaping around these areas.This was a brand new intake too.So before you install a new gasket,make sure to check the intake with a straight edge at least.Im not sure of the maximum allowable amount an intake can have,before leaking will occur,but it wouldn't hurt to give yours a quick check.Was it obvious where the leak occurred once you got the intake removed?? What did you use at the end rails?? Cork,rubber or rtv?? Another thing I like to do for an intake install is to buy 6 bolts that are the same thread and pitch as the intake bolts,but much longer in length (3") I screw them into place,1 at each corner of the intake and 1 in the middle on both sides.Then lay the gaskets in place over these bolts,lay whichever type of end rail gaskets you're using in place and lower the intake into place.Install all of the oem size bolts in every empty bolt hole,then remove 1 of the 6 long bolts,replace it with a oem size bolt then do the same to the remaining long bolts.This will prevent the gaskets from moving around.If you're using the original intake bolts or cheap bolts,I recommend that you replace them with ARP or something similar.Ive had numerous broken intake bolts from reusing them more than once.
It was obviously leaking within the ports on the lower part. I believe it was due to not retorquing the bolts within a couple of heat cycles. The bolts were loose when I finally check them, but it was too late. I use rtv on the end rails and Iíve never had an issue on that area. I was using arp bolts and now Iím switching to studs.
I read about the long guiding bolts before. Iím going to check with a straight edge.

post #6 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 PM

you guys do know that car manufactures put bar's leak tablets in these cars straight from the factory

the parts were new then, just think what kind of warpage these inatakes have being used

93 lx convrt. 5-speed, stock shortblock, afr 165s, eddy performer intake, custom cam, vortech sci.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimDrip View Post
you guys do know that car manufactures put bar's leak tablets in these cars straight from the factory

the parts were new then, just think what kind of warpage these inatakes have being used
I know GM did but not aware that Ford did. I use three of those disc in my cooling system.

CHP/CPR (Coast High Performance) / (Custom Performance Racing Engines)347 lasted a whopping 500 miles due to poor machining, metal debris in main bearings, damaged cam bearing and a balance job that was off 64ozs!
Buyer Beware.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:

Seriously?

Quote:
I use three of those disc in my cooling system.
Why would you do that? A well sealed up engine shouldnít leak coolant at all

post #9 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Iíve been reading other threads about intake gaskets leaking and Iím starting to believe that over torque is one of the main reason the gaskets fail. Edelbrock and FRPP recommends only 18 ft pounds max. AFR recommends hand tight with a 1/4Ē ratchet if possible. However, most torque specs flowing around suggest 22-24 ft pounds. The later is what I used and when I retorqued I could see the gaskets creeping down and the leak got a lot worse. So this time Iím going to try 18 ft pounds max. One good heat cycle and retorque again. I may even do another retorque after a couple of weeks.

post #10 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Seriously?

Quote:
I use three of those disc in my cooling system.
Why would you do that? A well sealed up engine shouldn’t leak coolant at all

Why would manufacturers do it? GM sent new cars out of the factory with these tabs installed in the cooling system. It's good insurance and dirt cheap.
https://m.acdelco.com/auto-parts/veh...seal-tabs.html

Buyer Beware.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Why would manufacturers do it? GM sent new cars out of the factory with these tabs installed in the cooling system. It's good insurance and dirt cheap.
https://m.acdelco.com/auto-parts/veh...seal-tabs.html
Wow! Didnít know that. I thought they were used in case of an emergency

post #12 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 07:30 AM

I re-ringed my engine at 112k. When i assembled it, I used 1250 S3 gaskets that I had on an kenny bell boosted engine with different heads and a different intake. After assembly, and a few miles, coolant was leaking from the intake and pooling on the timing cover. I dropped in some bar's leak, and today it is still not leaking with 196k...Besides the water pumps I have put on anyways

93 lx convrt. 5-speed, stock shortblock, afr 165s, eddy performer intake, custom cam, vortech sci.
post #13 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I know GM did but not aware that Ford did. I use three of those disc in my cooling system.
I really don't know if Ford did or not. I have always been told that car manufacture's use them by a couple of different mechanics, and the ones that are available here at an old truck stop here, actually say that on the tube they come in I think.

post #14 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 08:08 AM

I always use Felpro Gaskets.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 AM

the reason GM used those stop leak discs is because of the porous northstar engine castings.

Don't use them if you don't have to. They can clog up your heater core.
post #16 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

I bought the gaskets from Ed at FTI. I think Iím going to see him tomorrow or Saturday at the NMRA event so Iím going to ask for his advice. Unless someone else has any experience with them.

post #17 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I've been using Cometics for several years now. No issues and certainly a huge improvement over FelPro 1262.

For your issue, I'd check the angle of the intake port face and heads and make sure they're parallel.
Impetuous likes this.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (17)
3 dots of 3m weather strip on the back of the gasket, lay on head, wait 30 seconds. Gasket will never move.

Threaded rods are pointless in a slotted bolt hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190516_101930_1558020084736.jpg (55.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20190516_101922_1558020131108.jpg (104.1 KB, 41 views)
Chucko and Impetuous like this.

Yes I am "Woody", Yes I am the Owner. 110% QUALITY Driven!
630-462-3978 Shop Direct
877-723-5487 Shop Toll-Free

TONS of Build Photos Ck at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Make sure to sign up for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #19 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLTDLX View Post
I've been using Cometics for several years now. No issues and certainly a huge improvement over FelPro 1262.

For your issue, I'd check the angle of the intake port face and heads and make sure they're parallel.
What torque spec do you use? I haven't been able to find a spec for the cometics. It's what I'm using, and no issue so far, but I am curious.
For reference only, here's the part number I used. Cometic C5652-060
Impetuous likes this.

stock block 347 w Bullet Forged flat top pistons, TW170 p&p heads, comp 35-775-8 cam, approx 9.6:1 compression, 72mm rear mount turbo, injector clinic 650h injectors, CircleD 2800 stall converter, Lentech valve body.
post #20 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLTDLX View Post

Iím going to do that right now. So far the port faces are straight. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
3 dots of 3m weather strip on the back of the gasket, lay on head, wait 30 seconds. Gasket will never move.

Threaded rods are pointless in a slotted bolt hole.
Thank you! Iíll do that. Do you still recommend a little RTV around the cooling ports?

post #21 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM

In order of what I do, VERY thin coat of ultrablack around water port, either on gasket or head, your choice. 3 dots of 3m adhesive, place on head with hand pressure for 30 seconds, VERY thin coat of ultra black around water port on gasket. Lay down the needed bead of ultra black on end seals. Place intake and tighten. You will need to tighten the intake bolts 3-4 times after heat cycles due to the gasket becoming compressed with heat cycles. 90% of leaks are because the gasket compressed and the bolts were never tightened after the initial time.

630-462-3978 Shop Direct

Make sure to sign up for

The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I bought the gaskets from Ed at FTI. I think Iím going to see him tomorrow or Saturday at the NMRA event so Iím going to ask for his advice. Unless someone else has any experience with them.

Make sure you post a group selfie with Ed doing duck lips.
post #23 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
In order of what I do, VERY thin coat of ultrablack around water port, either on gasket or head, your choice. 3 dots of 3m adhesive, place on head with hand pressure for 30 seconds, VERY thin coat of ultra black around water port on gasket. Lay down the needed bead of ultra black on end seals. Place intake and tighten. You will need to tighten the intake bolts 3-4 times after heat cycles due to the gasket becoming compressed with heat cycles. 90% of leaks are because the gasket compressed and the bolts were never tightened after the initial time.
Awesome. Thank you so much!

I did check the mating surfaces for warp and laid the intake on the heads without gaskets and it was perfect with no gaps.

So you recommend retorque 3-4 times after initial install? Meaning removal of the upper plenum 3-4 times or going through the torque sequence 3-4 times after some heat cycles?

post #24 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoy_the_Ride View Post
LMAO! Not sure if Ed would let me convince him of that.

post #25 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM

With efi upper it sucks but its life. The gasket compresses and becomes thinner after heat cycles which is why the bolts appear to be loose once it cools down. The bolts didn't become loose, the gasket thickness compressed.

630-462-3978 Shop Direct

Make sure to sign up for

post #26 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Formerly LSNotch

Quote:
With efi upper it sucks but its life. The gasket compresses and becomes thinner after heat cycles which is why the bolts appear to be loose once it cools down. The bolts didn't become loose, the gasket thickness compressed.
I can see that. Iím going to do a good heat cycle and retorque the next day after a good cool down.

Any input on doing the torque again after say a couple of weeks?

Thank you for your help! I know you have a busy shop to take care of.

post #27 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM

I wouldn't wait weeks if you drive it alot. The gasket is going to compress everytime it heats up and cools down until its fully compressed

630-462-3978 Shop Direct

Make sure to sign up for

post #28 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 06:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Ed doesn't do pics let alone selfies. LOL!
post #29 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't wait weeks if you drive it alot. The gasket is going to compress everytime it heats up and cools down until its fully compressed

Woody,
what do you recommend the intake be torqued to?
post #30 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Woody,
what do you recommend the intake be torqued to?
pick any of the usual numbers, 18-19-22-24 etc. Thats never the real issue though, a scapegoat
Chucko likes this.

630-462-3978 Shop Direct

Make sure to sign up for

post #31 of 32 Old 05-17-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
pick any of the usual numbers, 18-19-22-24 etc. Thats never the real issue though, a scapegoat

I've always used 18-19, I was shocked to read AFR recommended hand tight with a 1/4" ratchet.
And like was said above, removing the upper is a pain. I tear the fricking $18 gasket EVERY TIME

Getting the bolt under the heater tube mount in the back takes nerves of steel and a crows foot wrench.
post #32 of 32 Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 AM

I use to curse and sling tools everytime I had to remove the upper when I bought the first rpm intake Edelbrock came out with.You had to remove the side cover to install a bolt on the inside of the intake.Long curved needlenose pliers were helpful,but it was still a pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement