Ford Mustang Forums banner

What cam should I get? I know ..I know....

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  DAVE94LIGHTNING 
#1 ·
Iv'e searched high and low but I haven't been able to make up my mind based on the info that is out there.

My combo is:

Stock long block
4:10 gears
26" tall tire
200 Shot of nitrous.

Car is full weight coupe with AC/PS etc... and street driven but mostly a track toy. Runs mid 11s at ~ 115mph

Which aftermarket cam will make the car faster without all the negative effects of big cams such as bucking at low rpm's loss of low end torque etc...

Thank you.

#3 ·
Thank you I should have mentioned that cost is an issue. This is a very basic build with mostly stock parts so I'm not looking for a $300 cam. Any ideas of an off the shelf cam that would work well because I can probably find something used.

Thank you

#8 ·
At that price the used market is where you will be. Anderson n41 would be my suggestion.

I suggest this not because I know what I am doing. But because I have read it from other people who also had no idea what they were doing at that time so they bought it and reported back that it was great for them.

Which of course means that it will be great for you. This is true because logic states that without knowing greatness to begin with, anything greater than what you have now will be greater than, less than, equal than, ampersand, Infinitly greater.

Honestly after careful thought. I would just use the stock cam and patiently wait just a little longer in order to fill out that cam card link “thadude”posted and go straight to greatness.

Have a great day.

#10 ·
I'm taking the top end apart to replace the intake gaskets anyway. I'm going through my cooling system so I'll be replacing the water pump, timing chain etc.. Labor is free since I'm doing it myself. The stock cam has taken me pretty far so I'd like to see if a simple cam swap will give me decent gains.

To the guys that suggested the Anderson cam and blue racer thank you. It's one of the ones I had been looking at along with the wolverine 1087 etc...Thanks for a simple answer instead of all the typical keyboard warrior BS. I'm going to look into how those cams idle and drive on a basically stock motor. I really want to keep the down low punch and not have a super lopey lumpy sounding car.

#12 ·
You going to upgrade rocker arms, springs, lifters, pushrods, etc.? Or just stick a new cam in there and hope for the best? You arent going to get a huge upgrade from a cam if you still retain stock intake, heads, exhaust... I had the N-41 in my last HCI 302 and loved it, but i replaced pushrods, lifters, and springs to make sure everything worked well together.

#13 ·
The car does have 1.72 rockers and upgraded springs currently. I will do hardened pushrods, better lifters and the correct springs for whatever cam I decide on. I know I wont get too much without adding heads, intake etc but want to keep the stock motor look. Currently the car runs 11s with the factory rusty headers, full exhaust, stock airbox etc...

#19 ·
Save the pain and do your heads first...you can find some decent brands for a good price and ad the cam from there...you don't want to do it all twice for no reason..but with that being g said an e cam would work well for you and there cheaply priced and you won't have to upgrade valve train.....But you should!!!.... you won't get noticable power but you'll get some sound..

#20 ·
Thank you. I’m not looking for sound but looking to add some power while keeping the stock looks. Not looking to swap heads right now, I think with a good 60’ time I can get this coupe into the low 11s.

#22 ·
Great info thank you. I'm waiting on gaskets right now and deciding if I want to keep the stock heads on it or go with ported E7s or another iron head that I can keep the stock look with. I'm leaning towards GT40s with port work if I can find a nice set. Looks like the cam you recommended will suit those well. I'm also trying to get my Username DAVE94LIGHTNING back so I can continue my build thread.

Thanks
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.