I used Citristrip to peel the old paint off my intake. It's slower than aircraft stripper, but i had time, and it allowed me to do it in my basement slop sink. I basically rubbed the manifold down with citristrip, bagged it in a trash bag (to keep it moist) and let it sit a day or two.
Before i began, i pulled ALL of the vac fittings out of the manifold. My plan was to drill and tap new fittings based on what I needed.
After a day, it looked like this. I scrubbed it down, and repeated one more time
Then, i chopped off the little nub on the plenum, and started sanding it down with a flap disk to remove a lot of the casting blemishes
Pulled out all the vac fittings and drilled and tapped new fittings for what i needed (brass fittings have been replaced with stainless)
Cleaned up manifold with casting mold lines removed after priming
Also restored the intake plaque
Completed product. Duplicolor Cast Coat paint.
I also had the lower ported by Tmoss's son. A 75MM EGR spacer and converted 65MM Explorer TB are also part of the intake. Probably more time and money into an explorer intake than most people would bother with. I wanted the stock look. It's been sitting on my shelf for over a year now. I have a 1993 cobra intake on the car, so when i pull the engine out this fall to rebuild, this will finally go on the car.