Ford Mustang Forums banner

Copper Head Gasket Info

486 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  John91coupe 
#1 ·
I have had a problem with blowing head gaskets on my car. I think that the block should be resurfaced where the block meets the head and that this is probably the problem. I am currently running Fel-pro 1011-2 head gaskets with ARP studs. I am not asking what you guys think about the different types of Felpro's or the ones I used. I would like to know about using the copper head gaskets since they are basically unable to be blown. I am sure that I should keep the timing down a little to avoid detonation as it would now not be able to blow the gasket and instead would probably break the piston. My car is driven about 8 days a month. I would like to know about how quick they wear out bearings because I am sure they leak some. What do I need to know about them, changing oil more often, etc. Please give me your knowledge about the +'s and -'s. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#2 ·
You need to figure out for sure what the causes of your blown head gaskets were before you put copper gaskets on it. The copper will be very hard to blow but your pistons (or more) will suffer as a result. The reason for copper is not so much that they won't blow from detonation but because they seal the cylinders very well (with o-rings and grooves) under extreme boost. You should not need them at your current boost level if you get the decks machine flat, heads are flat and your not running into detonation. Good blower type gaskets or Fel-Pro Loc wire gaskets will do fine. I was running the Loc wire gaskets with 19 lbs of boost. I have the copper on the new engine but plan on 25 lbs of boost.

#3 ·
Hey John, I got the head gasket problem fix, took it to the track on the 7 of Dec and running extremely rich it ran 10.36 at 131 mph weighting at 3200 lbs with me and 200 shot of nitrous, I'm probably going this Friday night and have the tune up right, looking for low 10.30s, if I get it, then I'll test with 250 shot, he,he.:evil:

#4 ·
WICKD GT said:
Hey John, I got the head gasket problem fix, took it to the track on the 7 of Dec and running extremely rich it ran 10.36 at 131 mph weighting at 3200 lbs with me and 200 shot of nitrous, I'm probably going this Friday night and have the tune up right, looking for low 10.30s, if I get it, then I'll test with 250 shot, he,he.:evil:
That sounds mighty good! Congrat's! Sounds like with the right conditions you might get some high 90's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.