Engine Harness Identification Guide - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (32)
Engine Harness Identification Guide

I decided to post this since I accidentally ended up with so many computer harness. I am not an expert but just trying to give back to the Corral since it has helped me so much over the years. I may be wrong about some of the info. If I am let me know and I will correct it.

The reference books I am using came from Ebay. They may or may be up to date since Ford did issue updates but I have no way of verifying if the updates were applied. It becomes important for the discussion of the 1992 wiring.

I don't have a 1987 harness or, as it turns out, a 1991 harness. I also don't have the dash, injector, 02, body, or head light wiring for all the years so I just focused on the computer harness.

I personally removed the 1988, 1989, and 1993 wiring from the cars although there is no way to verify it was never changed. I used the Ford wiring Diagrams to verify each harness. Specifically I used the green connector that plugs into the dash harness as each engine harness has that connector. Once again this is important when it comes to the 1992 wiring.

I am solely concerned with identification not comparability between years except where mentioned. There are plenty of folks who have posted this info before. The only difference is that this thread has pictures.

I apologize for the horrible handwriting.

1988 (1987 similar)

Not much to say.
-No Airbag connectors
-Black and Grey connectors
-No MAF connector
-1 relay (A/C WOT)

-No Airbag connectors
-Has MAF connector
-1 relay (A/C WOT)

-Has MAF connector
-Has Airbag connectors
1 relay (A/C WOT)

1991 (No Pictures)
-Tan connectors
-Has MAF connector
-Has Airbag connectors
-1 relay (A/C WOT)
-No pictures

-Not interchangeable with early 1992 harness. The dash harness has two pins swapped when compared to the 1992 harness. If this harness and the early 1992 are interchanged then the 12VDC needed for the HEGO will not be there and the VSS signal will not get to the computer. It also could damage the EEC by applying 12VDC to a signal return on the EEC.
-Also not interchangeable with the 1990 harness as the 1991 harness has a lot more wires in the dash connector when compared to eth 1991 harness.

If I had not looked this harness up in the Ford books I would have thought it was a 1991 harness and used it as such. Only by wire color can you tell the difference.

1992 Early

-Tan connectors
-Has MAF connector
-Has Airbag connectors
-1 relay (A/C WOT)

According to the Ford books this harness doesn't exist. However I have it. It has the exact same pinout as the dash connector in the 1992 Late harness. I have no way of knowing if the books are correct or not. I also have seen picture of early VIN cars with 2 relays so I really have no idea. I don't remember where I got this harness. However, I am positive this is not a 1991 Harness.

1992 Late

-Tan connectors
-Has MAF connector
-Has Airbag connectors
-2 relays (A/C WOT and Fuel pump)

-Tan connectors
-Has MAF connector
-Has Airbag connectors
-2 relays (A/C WOT and Fuel pump)

2003 Corvette Z06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement