Ford Mustang Forums banner

valve spring selection

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  TurboCoupeGuy 
#1 ·
I am running stock Explorer Gt40 heads. I will be using Scorpion 1.72 Pedestal mount roller rockers with a used custom cam.

Cam specs with 1.72 RR
intake and exhaust lift .552
Duration @ .006 276 Int 270 Exh
Duration @ .050 224 Int 218 Exh

Preferred spring pressure is 130 - 135 on the seat.

I have found a set of beehive springs: TFS 15405

Number of Springs Per Valve: Single
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 1.450 in.
Coil Bind Height (in): 1.316 in.
Damper Spring Included: No
Spring Rate (lbs/in): 455 lbs./in.
Inside Diameter of Outer Spring (in): 0.860 in.
Valve Spring Style: Beehive

Valve Springs, Pacaloy, Single, 1.450 in. Outside Diameter, 1.940 in. Installed Height.

I would need to shim them to get an installed height of 1.900 with a seat pressure of 138lbs. With .552 lift that only leaves me with .03188" clearance before coil bind.:eek:

What else is available without pulling the heads and machining the spring pocket?

Thanks,
Rob

See less See more
#3 ·
Not yet. I will check in a couple of days. These look like they may work as long as the spring rate is OK; however, I don't know how to calculate that.

Comp Cams #249-926-16
# Single Outer Valve Springs O.D.: 1.476"
# I.D.: 1.062"
# Seat load: 109lbs @1.800"
# Open load: 317lbs @1.300"
# Coil bind: 1.140"
# Rate: 415lbs/in
# With damper

Rob

#6 ·
No I haven't. I didn't think it was appropiate since I didn't buy the cam new from Ed. I am also trying to understand what is involved in selecting and setting up a proper valvetrain package.

#7 · (Edited)
I am sure Ed would be more than happy to sell you what you need. Rate needed depends on weight of valvetrain. Those 941s would work just fine as long as the lifters are OK with the pressure. They should be, but you never know with old parts. Also remember you will need to address the different lock heights intake and exhaust

#8 ·
i have used a OEM replacement BBC springs with similiar camshafts as yours. i do not have a part number off the top of my head. they have a slightly bigger OD and are drop in with no machining. i believe they were around 130 on the seat, over 300 open and will tolerate your lift requirements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.