Need Bottom End Torque! Cobra Intake? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2002, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Need Bottom End Torque! Cobra Intake?

Here's the short question: How much will a '93 Cobra intake help with my bottom end? The engine really doesn't pull hard until after 2700 RPM. I know one reason would probably be because I have 1 5/8" JBA headers on a stock engine. So will I be hurting the torque/ horsepower even more by putting on the better breathing intake? Or would my thoughts of a better intake helping the "too-big" headers be true?

Any insight/ experiences would be great. Thanks

-Bryan

And here's the long part if you would like to read....

I have a 1989 Mustang GT engine in my already V8 but none HO 1988 Thunerbird Sport. Converted it to MAS Air and all that fun stuff. Well anyways, my question is as follows: Above 2700 RPM the engine pulls just as hard as you would expect from a rebuilt 5.0 HO. But until then the bottom end torque sucks. I've heard that a '93 Cobra intake really helps with bottom end not to mention horsepower. I also know that gears would really help me get my beast off the line, which is why i have the rear end of an automatic turbo coupe which has the 3.73 gears and disc brakes. Because that will be going in later on down the road I would like to get my off the line/ bottom end improved now. So, does the cobra intake solve my bottom end problems. Especialy when I put the gears in? I also have 1 5/8" headers which I believe bogg down the engine until the higher RPMs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Banned

Trader Feedback: (2)
Don't overlook putting in an aftermarked cam

post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2002, 07:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Get gears. Those will solve your problems. I have 1 5/8 headers on my stock engine and never really noticed a loss in torque. BUT, with the 2.73's the car was a dog til 2500RPM. After 3.73's, she screwed.

I just put a Cobra Intake on this week. First impressions is that top end power increased but under 2500RPM was the same as before. No notice is power down low. But if i get on it at 3000RPM or so it really sucks you into the seat harder

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement