Ford Mustang Forums banner

Brothers performance speedcal ?

1K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  TriBlkCobra 
#1 ·
Is Brothers Speedcal the same as the Dallas Mustang Speedcal? It is listed for 99 up, but will it work for a 96 like the Dallas one?? I would like to save $20. :D

#3 ·
i have no idea... but i have a '97 gt, and i called brother's a few days ago, and asked if i could use the '99-'02 speedcal in my 97... and they said no... i made a post at stangnet, and everyone said they had no idea what you are talking about... i would suggest calling brothers, and if they say no, ask to speak to someone who knows about them. i will be calling them tomorrow to see what they say, because i am also in need of one.

#4 ·
I think the one from Brothers is the same one from Dallas. Brothers cut the bottom of the chrome sticker off top of speedcal where it usually says Dallas Mustang on it.

#6 ·
VigorDefiance said:
i made a post at stangnet, and everyone said they had no idea what you are talking about...
I actually responded to your thread there. The two devices are identical, or so says TriBlkCobra who frequents this forum, and who happened to design the original device for Dallas Mustang. You can search the archives for the last month, and will run into further confirmation for this straight from the man himself. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he chimes in here at any moment...

#7 ·
I would like to know this for sure also. I had the poll going and have decided on the Brothers unit if it ill definitly work with my 97. When you call them and talk to someeone let us know. Thanks!

#10 ·
I called both Brothers and Dallas to get the stories straight, i got info from Dallas, that they in fact sell their units to Brother's performance... therefore it is the same exact unit. Dallas' prices are $99, and Brother's is $79, i made sure that the speedcal would work on my '97 gt, and dallas said definatly that it will. i again called back brothers and said dallas said it would work, and they changed their story, and said there was an error in their part. i ordered mine through Brothers because it was cheap.. it should be here end of the week...

the '99-'02 speedcal will work from '96-'02, dallas says it is the same exact unit.

#12 ·
TriBlkCobra said:
I also asked the owner at DMP for the price on the DMP unit. I honestly didnt know. He says they are actually selling it for $89.95. I pointed out the web shows $99.95 so it needs to be updated...
Well.... DMP charged me the price on the web page when I ordered mine (at the start of the fun :), so I'm not sure I believe that.

#13 · (Edited)
Well again, I honestly didnt know. The web does show the $99 buck number. Maybe they dropped it recently, I honestly dont get into the retail pricing on the unit... And we have been screwing with your SpeedCal for a while Doug... So try the damned one I sent you and tell me how it works!!! :)

[edit] add smiley face... that just sounded way to serious... sorry Doug.

#14 ·
I just ordered mine yesterday from Brothers Performance for 87.00 total with shipping. I cant wait to get my gears in and see if the Speedcal will work correctly or not.

#15 ·
I just got through installing the Brothers SpeedCal in the wife's 98 Cobra. It definately works on 98 models, in spite of Brothers information. It ran me $89.14 shipped. It was fun pushing and pulling pins in tiny plastic cannon plugs from under the car with only jackstands holding the front end up and a dying flashlight for illumination ;)

A word of caution: If you happen to install the SpeedCal power lead on the cigarette lighter hot wire (as per the instructions) AND manage to accidentally blow the fuse (like I did..... oops :eek: ), the Ford owner's manual is wrong. The fuse for the cigarette lighter is actually a 25 Amp fuse labeled "PWR SEATS" on the high current fuse panel under the hood. Strangely enough, even with the "PWR SEATS" fuse blown, the driver's power seat still worked...... Makes me wonder what else is mislabeled under there. The instructions said to disconnect the battery before the install, but I would recommend just pulling the "PWR SEATS" fuse instead. Keep in mind this is a 98 Cobra, I don't know if the cigarette lighter fuse is mislabeled on other model years....

On a lighter note, the SpeedCal seems to work fine, although I don't have the gears installed yet. I thought I would go ahead and put the SpeedCal in ahead of time.:evil:

#16 ·
It works on my 97 cobra...although it's still a little off...I'm showing 68-69 when I was driving along side my buddy's 2000 GT and he had his cruise set at 65...it's better than it was before though...haven't really had any other chances to test it out though...

#17 · (Edited)
Been to Dallas mustang and they seem to charge depending on who you talk to. Some will quote you one price over the phone and when you get there it changes. I asked if they matched prices and they said no.Not saying that everyone has had problems but I do prefer to get my parts else where.

Good luck.

Edited for content!

#18 ·
I have also read a on a thread or two about the fuses being mislabeled. Does anyone know if this is the case for a 01 GT? I am skeptical about the install and would like to know about the fuses that way i can simply undo those. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

#19 ·
missouri_guy, it shouldnt be that far off. If you have a way to gather some more data (like I have a GPS, but hey I'm a geek engineer!) at 3 or 4 different speeds I'd like to see it. There could be an error in the switch matrix which would apply the wrong correction code. Let me know what you want to do.

01BadGT, I think it ended with the 98's. In 99+ they moved the fuses into the car fuse box and split the cigarette lighter and aux socket to two separate circuits (according to my CD's) On 96 and 97 the circuit seems to be labeled correctly. So I think its just unique to that model year.

#20 ·
TriBlkCobra said:
01BadGT, I think it ended with the 98's. In 99+ they moved the fuses into the car fuse box and split the cigarette lighter and aux socket to two separate circuits (according to my CD's) On 96 and 97 the circuit seems to be labeled correctly. So I think its just unique to that model year.
I agree, I believe it's a 98 only issue.

TriBlkCobra: You've got mail....:D

#21 ·
I had the same problem...

Yellow 98 Snake, I had the exact same problem when I installed mine. Blew the fuse for the lighter and tried to look in the manual for which fuse it was. Looked at that fuse. Not blown???? I thought I had already messed something up in the computer or something because when I was checking for current in the wires. I got nothing. I looked at ALL my fuses and found out the hard way and ended up going to wal-mart at 11:30 at night for the fuse. Although when I was checking for current in the harness underneath I never got anything there either but the speedometer still works and no other problems so I don't know.

Triblkcobra---I do still have the same issue as missouriguy with my speedo still being off by 3mph throught the whole rpm scale. Would it possibly fix it if I reinstall the stock tooth gear and set the speedcal for it instead of having the 23 tooth gear in and having the speedcal set for it.

How hard is it to change out the speedo gear out? I know where it's located but is there more to it than just unbolting it out and putting the new one on???

#22 ·
Guys, a 3mph error over the whole range is a "bias error" and is not caused by a ratio adapter. The ratio adapters correct the slope of the VSS period so you would have a linear error, IE 1mph at 10mph, 2mph at 20mph, 3mph at 30mph, etc... I know for a fact that there are indeed bias errors in the speedos also. In fact, either Car&Driver or Motortrend one ran an article on it recently... If you really want, you can pick a mph that you want it to be exact, email me with indicated mph actual mph and current switch settings and I can fudge it for that point. Please note however that it will introduce a slope error over the rest of the speed range. And again, this is not a ratio adapter issue, it is a speedometer metering issue.

#23 ·
TriBlkCobra said:
missouri_guy, it shouldnt be that far off. If you have a way to gather some more data (like I have a GPS, but hey I'm a geek engineer!) at 3 or 4 different speeds I'd like to see it. There could be an error in the switch matrix which would apply the wrong correction code. Let me know what you want to do.

Well, I also tested it at around 35-40mph with my dad's van, and it seemed like it was right around the correct speed at those lower speeds...I'll keep testing it and see what I get...I'll set the cruise on 60 and clock my time between some mile markers too, it should be right at a minute...I'll let you know what I find...my friends speedo might have been off a little too...

#25 ·
I installed a Speedcal from Brothers this past weekend on my 99. The install was pretty easy, except for those stupid wires that have to be reomved from the connector:mad: It seems accurate so far. To those of you who blew a fuse, why didn't you disconnect the battery???? Then you don't have to worry about anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.