Ford Mustang Forums banner

Charging Cables Frying at Alternator

517 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Noslo5.0 
#1 ·
I have had a recent problem with the cable theat runs from the battery to the alternator. At one end where it gets screwed into the back of the alternator it has been frying itself. I have replaced it twice in the last two months by going to the salvage yard and stripping down my wire and attaching a new end. However, i am driving on eggshells hoping that I don't find myself stuck somewhere in the middle of the night. What do you guys think causes this and what can I do to prevent it? Thanks!

#2 ·
It could be that you aren't getting the connection clean enough when you install the new/used cable. Try taking a wire brush to the surfaces before bolting it down. Current flow through a high resistance connection produces heat, that might be what is "frying" your cable. Too much current through a wire that is too small may also be the cause of heat. The cable you are pulling is from a 94/95 and not an 87-93? I think the older cars use a smaller cable as their alternators had a lower power rating. Hope this gives you some ideas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.