Ford Mustang Forums banner

Alternator fluctuating voltage

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TD350 
#1 ·
Backstory: I installed a 3G alternator out of a windstar or something in my 1990 fox, and used a 4 gauge power wire with the stock 10 gauge wires disconnected. The yellow/white sense wire was connected to the stock harness as per the LMR instruction video. Worked great for 2 years.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, my alternator stopped charging (I have a dash mounted voltage readout for the battery so I knew right away). Replaced the alternator with an ACDelco reman alt for a 94 mustang but the battery still wasn't getting a charge. Checked the resistor and bulb behind dash and they were fine.

Ended up being the fuse link for the sense wire (yellow/white) in the stock harness. I made my own wire to connect the sense wire on the D-plug to the battery side of the starter relay. 18 gauge wire with 15 amp inline fuse.

Now the system charges but at idle (stock rpm) it fluctuates like mad. Battery voltage swings from 14.5v to 12.5v pretty quickly, with all the lights dimming and rpm dipping.

I have no clue why this is happening. The new alt. has a 2.5" pulley on it which is definitely bigger than the one that was on the old alt. Maybe the alternator is spinning too slowly? I don't have underdrives, its stock crank pulley.

If I touch the throttle and raise the rpm a hair, the fluctuations go away and the voltage is steady.

I measured the pulley from the top of the groove teeth, not the outer flange.

Any help appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
The replacements always come with the wrong pulley size for these cars.

#7 ·
So lets rule out alternator spinning too slowly being the cause. The fluctuation only happens when I'm at idle with headlights on. If I turn on the fogs and heater blower the power fluctuation goes away and I return to ~14.3v. Just replaced the 3 wire pig tail with a better one (sense wire = 12 gauge now).

#8 ·
will need the voltage and current figures at the times this happens

post them in a detailed list, and maybe we can see if the reg is faulty

will need current draw from the car and current produced by the alt

just to let you know for a meter you will need, expect up to 90amps to be safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.