Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum - View Single Post - 1992 LX The street to track to street again build.
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Peter92lx
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
The Engine

So lately Iíve been thinking about what Iím going to do with the engine. Iíve always wanted to build a 331 for my car like I mentioned before at the time the 347 wasnít the best due to oiling issues which seem to be corrected now. So Iím starting to shift to building a 347. The engine build wonít be wild Iím going to keep it pretty mellow. I need to it hold up under autocross and occasional track day. Iím looking at two different ways of building the engine.

The mild build

Iíve thought about just rebuilding the current engine the only thing I really need to make it street legal is a cam and heads. Its been sitting for a long time 8 years without running for anything more then 10 minutes so I would take it apart inspect it and have the block cleaned. I know its been bored 30 over already and it should be fine its a Mexican block which are supposed bigger main caps I still have to do more research on it.

Parts
New rod and main bearings
New piston rings
AFR 185 Heads
Cam
ARP Main studs
ARP Head studs
Push rods
Possibly new Rocker arms

Iím still looking into who will do the block work and what I should have done to make sure its still in good shape. I know with adding main studs I will need to have the mains line honed due to the different clamping loads of the studs. The cam Iím still trying to figure out at first I thought of just going with a Ford E303 but I have also looked at Crane Camís they have a few that are emissions legal.

The not to wild build

Really itís pretty much the same as the mild build with a 347 stroker kit. Iíve looked at 347 stroker kits from fordstrokers.com Iíve read allot of good threads by strokeme and he really knows his stuff. I also like his sbfbuilding.com site Iím thinking about joining it when I start the build on the engine. Iím still planning on using the block I have unless I find a major problem with it. Iíve doing research and seems with a build like mine the block should fine if I keep it no more then 450hp and donít spin it more then 6500 rpms. I figure with this build the most it would be able to put out is around 400hp. Iím also looking at doing one of his cast steel crank kits I figure forge steel crank is over kill for what Iím going to do with the car.

347 Stroker Kit
AFR 185 Heads
Cam
ARP Main studs
ARP Head studs
Push rods
Possibly new Rocker arms

If any of you guys have suggestions advice or know a good engine machine shop in San Diego let me know.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome