Ford Mustang Forums banner

What stall speed

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TomR 
#1 ·
Going with a circle d converter, but still unsure of what stall speed to go with.

Cars set up is the following: stock bottom end 2v, On3 kit with borg warner s366, 4r70, 3.73 rear gear, and tire will be a 315/35/17.

Car will be mainly a street car but will see the track.

#2 ·
I run an s366 on a 4.3l v6 and I'd suggest 3500rpm converter. I run a tight 3000 on mine but have a trans brake in my 4r70w. What housing did you go with? You could keep the converter tight and add a quick spool valve or build one for the divided 91.

#4 ·
My trans and converter builder won't build my converter until we can get a better dyno graph. Have you talked to Circle D about it and compared where your power and boost starts to come on at?

I'm really really new to autos in the turbo world and luckily I have a good local builder of both the trans and converter.

#5 ·
You really need the converter with a stall just above the torque peak, if you have enough tire to handle the launching torque. My 6600-6700 stall is high for my engine because my engine is blowing through the converter (it was 5500 at 700 HP and I am WAY over that now), but it still drove fine on the street. It would cruise just over what the gear calculates, it only had about 10% RPM differential at cruise.

If you plan on getting some traction, you might want to stall just above torque peak.

I just now finished swapping my converter for a new one. The new one should stall at 6K hopefully. My engine torque peak is at 5800. The old one is making too much heat during passes. It does not have sprags or a mechanical diode so it runs hot on the street and that costs me a little MPH and ET.

#6 ·
Damn! That's a lot of stall lol. Is that foot brake or trans brake stall? Foot brake mine will go to 2800rpm and build 2-3psi. On the brake it will go to 5300 and build all the boost.

#9 ·
Just emailed circle d and they recommended the pro series 245mm 3C (35-3700 stall) converter.

How would a 35-3700 stall be for street driving? Also for a stock 2v ( wont be revving past 6k).

#13 ·
The stall does not mean much for street driving if it is a higher power converter.
Because you are at such light throttle, it will not slip much at all no matter what the stall.

The most important thing is to get one with a mechanical diode or sprags. I had a locked stator spragless converter and it made a lot of heat on the street. A 6200-6300 stall with a mechanical diode cooled the trans about 100 degrees in extended street driving.

:)

#12 ·
That was without the 2-step and I did have 12psi springs.
That was true stall with 12psi. With 15psi it stalled to 5150rpms.
I just installed 4psi springs and I will use the boost controller to set
the boost level. The car spins launching with 12psi and 2-step at 3800rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.