Ford Mustang Forums banner

My 1990 mustang lx on3 turbo headache

22K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  snipe656 
#1 ·
My head first into mustang world..Well 3 weeks ago i was browsing craigslist and found this 1990 mustang lx turbo listed not running 6k firm. So i went and looked at it and it appeared ok the man started it and it barely ran and was super rich. It had a new on3 turbo kit installed along with windsor iron heads, fcam, eled intake, and all autometer gauges this past winter. Also a moates tuner and a msd 2step 70mm tb, 70mm maf, 42# injectors, 255 fuel pump. So after walking around and looking i saw the value there and bought it. This is how it looked on the add picture

this is how the motor looked

so i towed it home and jacked it up to look around and the bottom crank pulley was hitting the cold side turbo pipe. so i took off the bumper

and as you can see in that pic there are no brackets lol the intercooler was held up with zip ties wtf well had to make some brackets and line things up

and here i had to cut a chunk out of the lower inner fender part the pipe was rubbing against metal

then the bumper would not go on with the intercooler in what i think is the correct spot so out with the jig saw and i cut out a big section out

then i had to finish mounting his fuel gague pain in the a$$ but now the hood dont hit it

then towed the car in for a 3" exhaust with dump off

and now i was thinking lets yank this moats tuner out.. so i did and it ran! but then i noticed a water leak.. long story short his electric water pump must of been used and fixed with jb weld so had to put a new one on.. while at it put a summit aluminum radiator on.

so now the car runs (idles) and it appears all leaks are fixed the day i bought the car 3 weeks ago i scheduled a tune session with lido @ alternative auto and its tommrow wich im glad it took a few because lots of little things poped up! What do you think my rwhp num will be? and would you have taken a 6k gamble on this?

and todays pic touch up paint on the front bumper

See less See more
#8 ·
got my tune done! it did 465rwhp on base tune. he then said he could get it to 480+ if i wanted and i said keep it really safe so final tune of 456rwhp.

002.MTS - YouTube
but now it hops out of 2nd and 3rd gear.. either the short throw is not in right or the trans is going.. once i figure that out ill take it out on the road.. cant wait!

#14 ·
It was 10#'s
I got my shifter fixed it now goes easy into 2nd n 3rd on the short throw shifter the bump screws were to far in.. Now my new problem my electric fan has decided once the car is hot to shut off.. Going to re wire tomorrow because I have no idea how it was wired.

But in my 1 mile drive before over heating the sound of the car is amazing haven't got into the power but seems fairly fast!

#24 ·
So i got my fan problem fixed was a bad relay wich was also shutting off my water pump.. also fixed a small water pump leak. Got to take out on a 5 mile around the block cruze feels very nice. I gave it full throttle from low 2nd and once it boosts up it just spins. So after i pulled up i noticed some smoke and pop the hood and my turbo blanket or around it is smoking this is pretty much the farthest i drove it since the install but not necessarily the hottest the car has gotten. Is this normal for a new blanket/pipes?

#26 ·
So i got my fan problem fixed was a bad relay wich was also shutting off my water pump.. also fixed a small water pump leak. Got to take out on a 5 mile around the block cruze feels very nice. I gave it full throttle from low 2nd and once it boosts up it just spins. So after i pulled up i noticed some smoke and pop the hood and my turbo blanket or around it is smoking this is pretty much the farthest i drove it since the install but not necessarily the hottest the car has gotten. Is this normal for a new blanket/pipes?
228 - YouTube
Yes. Will probably do that for the first few driving cycle's. I know mine smoked like crazy when I first wrapped the downpipe.

#29 ·
thanks for commenting on the mounting. I could of used that info earlier lol i just kinda dove head first and just did what i had to in order to make it work. I kinda like the intercooler peaking out..

now everything is going good.. no more smoke.. no over heating or cooling issues. here is a little vid not much traction and shifting early but seems promising ill make a 3rd to 4th vid later maybe get into the power if it doesnt spin
1990 mustang lx on3performance turbo - YouTube

#36 ·
Sounds good....Put an Auto in that thing...:)...I have to post up a video for you what an Auto does with a little boost and not reving it...I see 14 psi.They locked mine somehow no boost controller but hits boost perfect every time......dont hit it much tho,the car is insane with 8-10 psi....Also i need a catch can installed at full boost i popped my cheesy breather out...Getting ready to install that now....

#31 ·
Not sure if the guy gave you the directions but I do cover that in the cd that is taped to the turbo box. I still dont think its too late and would tuck up there nice if you really wanted. Its not a big deal just was making sure you were aware. I havent had nearly the amount of time to dedicate to the forum as I did have with help in the shop.

The car sounds good in your video by the way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.