Ford Mustang Forums banner

Why does the 98GT have more hp than the 96 and 97 years?

2K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  97GTConvt 
#1 ·
My guestion is stated above. :) Thanks

#3 ·
computer tweak, that is it. i've talked to numerous people at mustang shops and the 96 and 97 computer is the worst out of any year mustang to have. they are very restrictive in that tuners cannot change as much stuff.

marcus

#4 ·
Will a 98 GT computer work in a 96

Just had a thought if any one tryed a 98 computer in a 96 GT.

96GT
00 Engine/Trans

#5 ·
Cool guys, also what is the stock rear-end gear ratio of this car? 3.27s or 2.73s? thanks

#8 ·
Tungsten said:
3.08:1 was the stock gear ratio.

3.27:1 was an optional upgrade that could be ordered.

How do I find out which gear ratio it has?

#9 ·
Are you the original owner? If not, there's always a chance it's been changed out...

1. Check the door tag. There's an axle ratio code there. Can't remember what the designations were, but you'll be able to find hits on "mustang door tag codes" with any of the search engines.

2. Jack the rear of the car up, put the car in neutral. Chalk mark a rear tire and the axle. Rotate the tire one full revolution while watching the number of revolutions the axle makes.

If the axle travels approx 3 turns, it's a 3.08

If it travels more like 3-1/4 turns, it's a 3.27

3-1/2 turns? 3.55

3-3/4 turns? 3.73

And so forth. :)

#10 ·
2:73 was the stock ratio in 96-98. 3:27 was an optional axle. Ford hasn't used a 3:08 stock in a Mustang in years!
Easiest way to find out your gear ratio, assuming it hasn't been changed, is to call a Ford dealer and give them your VIN, they can tell you. I believe there is a code for the axle on the inside of the drivers door, but I don't know the axle-codes.
The only thing, power-wise, that changed for the 98 was the PCM, that accounted for 10hp. If im not mistaken it had something to do with air/fuel ratios that made the difference.

Eric

#12 ·
Silver_Stang said:
2:73 was the stock ratio in 96-98. 3:27 was an optional axle. Ford hasn't used a 3:08 stock in a Mustang in years!
Eric

That sucks. Ah well.... looks like I need to invest in some gears.

#13 ·
The 98 doesn't require a higher octane gas, the compression stayed the same, and there is still a conservative heir to the tuning.

A timing adjuster is a good mod, but driving is enough to make up the 10hp. :D ...and tires of course.

Eric

#14 ·
Silver_Stang said:

A timing adjuster is a good mod, but driving is enough to make up the 10hp. :D ...and tires of course.

Eric

How much is a timing adjuster? What is the stock timing set at? 10 degrees?

#16 ·
delow: Yes you can put a 98 pcm in your 96, but it has to be a 49 state pcm(non-california model) and you have to update the pats(key) system to the 98 style. it's pretty easy as i have a 98 pcm in my 96 but not very cost effective. it didn't cost me anything so thats the only reason i did it and to be honest i couldn't really notice much of a sotp difference!
Leon

#17 ·
hey leon, how did you run the two temp sensors to the one on the intake for the 99 manifold. i used a t-fitting but i'm about to run one over to the thermo housing. i did not know that you had a 98 computer. i wish i had one. every time i get the chip tuned they talk about how ****ty the 96 and 97 computers are. oh well. when are you gettin the chip done, i still want to see yours hit 300 rwhp :D

marcus

#18 ·
Just to answer the question and a tid bit, 98 Romeo mod heads (mid year) did have the shroud missing next to the exaust port, not that it made a difference. The only way you can tell if you have them is to pull the head. The computer tune was also the increase.

#19 ·
Dammit... the 3.08 was the stock gear for 1998 according to Ford's own specifications. The 2.73 was used in 1994/95 only. 3.27 was an option for all of those years.

Sheesh!!! Some people would argue about the color of the sky. :rolleyes:

All factory specs for the 1998 GT can be seen on my home page, where I have copied Ford's own list of specs/options for that year model.

http://www.theyancys.com/mustang/specs.html

#20 ·
Not that it matters, but OK! :D

My 98 must have been a 95, I counted the teeth myself on my 2:73 ring that came out when the 3:73's went in. In addition to that, I counted my bro-in laws in his 95 Cobra when his came out and it was a 3:08. To my knowledge, that was the last 3:08 used in a Mustang.
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. In fact my window sticker says 2:73 on it.

but I wont argue....... :D

Eric

#21 · (Edited)
Tungsten said:
Dammit... the 3.08 was the stock gear for 1998 according to Ford's own specifications. The 2.73 was used in 1994/95 only. 3.27 was an option for all of those years.

Sheesh!!! Some people would argue about the color of the sky. :rolleyes:

All factory specs for the 1998 GT can be seen on my home page, where I have copied Ford's own list of specs/options for that year model.
Ahhhh... Weedhopper... you are only partially correct. The stock gears for 96-98 GT AODE was 3.08. The stock gears for 96-98 GT 5-spd. were 2.73. The high ratio option for either tranny was 3.27. Now what color is that sky again? :D

#22 ·
RED...NO BLUE... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

#24 ·
BlueStangGT said:

Ahhhh... Weedhopper... you are only partially correct. The stock gears for 96-98 GT AODE was 3.08. The stock gears for 96-98 GT 5-spd. were 2.73. The high ratio option for either tranny was 3.27. Now what color is that sky again? :D
Aqua-marine, dammit!!! :D

Like I care what you 5-speed guys have anyway. Automatics rule, baby! <sigh> Well, you've got to give me points for enthusiasm and blatant denial. ;)

#26 ·
burlesonsnake said:
There is a metal tag (unless someone's been there and removed it) under one of the rear end cover bolts that tells the ratio.

Cool, I'll check it out. Its probably the 3.08 gear though. You guys are hillarious by the way. lol :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.