What's the BIGGEST tire I can fit on my 1990 5.0? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Wheels and Tires

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question What's the BIGGEST tire I can fit on my 1990 5.0?

Hey Everyone. I have a 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 Lx. I'm running on two 225/50 R16 BF Goodrich Comp T/A's in the rear but its time for some new rubber. I really want the Mickey Thompson's ET Street Radials but I'm not sure if they will fit or not. (I'd like a size much larger then 255) I have 16 inch rims, and the rear end is all stock. Could someone please tell me the widest tire I am able to put on without any modifications? I'd like to be able to fit the ET Street Radials P315/45 R16 or the P295/50 R16. Thanks a lot!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #2

stock 16" pony wheels? 255 is the widest you can go, since the rim is only 7 inches wide...but actually i wouldn't go larger than 245 on that wheel since the contact patch will be about the same as a 255(which will probably rub anyway). serious, very serious modification, not to mention new wheels, would be necessary to fit a 295 or 315.

http://www.my5oh.com/

Last edited by TENGRAM; 10-11-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #3

Check out the Fox body wheel picture thread at the top. There are quite a bit of ways you can go, but it seems that you can stuff a 275/40 in there without major mods. Although, I agree with TENGRAM, you'll need to do some serious work to get 315's to fit. However, those guys in the wheel picture thread come awfully close! It's a good place to see what they've already done--without going through the headache of trying it yourself.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (20)

There is no general rules because there are far too many factors:

- tire brand
- ride height
- wheel backspacing
- degree of fender rolling
- Axle length
- Keeping quad shocks
- How close tailpipes come to the tire
- etc
- etc
- etc

Many people have gotten 275's to fit without major modifications. I got mine to fit with just a tight fender rolling. Any bigger than 275, and things can get a little hairy. Its possible, and many have done it, but it just depends how far you are willing to go to get them to fit.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medium_jay View Post
Hey Everyone. I have a 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 Lx. I'm running on two 225/50 R16 BF Goodrich Comp T/A's in the rear but its time for some new rubber. I really want the Mickey Thompson's ET Street Radials but I'm not sure if they will fit or not. (I'd like a size much larger then 255) I have 16 inch rims, and the rear end is all stock. Could someone please tell me the widest tire I am able to put on without any modifications? I'd like to be able to fit the ET Street Radials P315/45 R16 or the P295/50 R16. Thanks a lot!
Mickey Thompson only makes one size in 16" tire diameter. It is the 255/50/16 which will fit fine on a stock pony wheel with no modifications at all.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #6

i fit 275/50/15 in the rear no problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (3)

I fit 275/60R15 rear, but it rubs on the drivers side on bumps, even after some minor fender rolling (read: I took a BFH to it). No other modifications, except for some Pacer 15x8 rims.

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #8

i run 295's on my dd and 335's in the rear on my gt
Old 10-13-2006, 02:00 AM   #9

seriously though i'm not gonna believe this unless i see some detailed pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfox400 View Post
i run 295's on my dd and 335's in the rear on my gt

Last edited by TENGRAM; 10-13-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (6)

I had 295s on the back of my Fox, let me find the pics! My cousin runs 325-50-15s on the bck of his car with a little rubbing when cornering sharp, they are on 10 holes.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #11

Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #12

hmmm, that helps. can we see a pic from directly behind them?

Old 10-13-2006, 04:06 PM   #13

I dont have them on the car anymore, let me see if I cant dig up a pic from behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement