Greg Weld Wheels (Offset Washers???) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Wheels and Tires

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (41)

Greg Weld Wheels (Offset Washers???)

I bought a set of 15x8 Greg Weld wheels (5-lug) for track use on my 93 Coupe. Car is obviously converted to 5-lug.

The guy I bought the rims from gave me the typical shanked lug nuts & center hole washers. I've used this set-up on other Weld wheels, Bogarts, Monocoque etc. over the years without complaint or issue.

However, the Greg Welds have the slotted holes to fit multiple bolt centerlines.

My question is...with SN-95 Ford centerline...do I need washers with offset holes or the centered hole?

If offset...where the hell do you get them?

I read on a forum that several people recommend a certain brand of lug-nuts...but nothing about the washers.

Part numbers would be great...as well as supplier...cost etc.

Thanks all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (51)

I have these same wheels on my 4 lug fox and it did require offset washers. I purchased them from summit racing. After I installed the wheels and drove the car a few times I tried to remove one of the rear wheels and ran into some problems. Apparently when you torque the lug nut down it bites into the offset washer and slightly twists it in the hole. When you try to back it out it gets stuck against the wheel and lug nut. It took me 4 hours to get the wheel off. The threads in the lug nut twisted and deformed and I had to drill out the lug nut. I ruined one wheel before I figured it out.

I did some online searching and found others have had the same problems with the Greg Weld wheels. I now use anti seize on both sides of the washer and open end lug nuts on the rear wheels.

I had a different problem with the front wheels and could not use the standard Weld lug nuts. They would thread on but there was not enough clearance to get a socket on them. I had to buy 4 locking lug nuts that have a smaller head and special thin wall socket for the fronts.

Good luck!
87 Notch in progress
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (18)

what lugs are you using? im running into the problem that when i go to torque the lugs down, the head of the lugs arent long enough to get enough on them and my socket just slips off
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

McGards?

I read somewhere that people have had success with McGards brabd lug nuts....but couldn't get a part number or where they bought them etc...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (51)

My rear wheels are polished so I took a little time and slightly enlarged the recessed lug nut hole where it interfered towards the center of the wheel. The fronts are the exact same style wheel but are chrome so I could not grind on them. After trying several dif brands I am using Gorrilla locking lug nuts part number 84681N Cragar SST 1/2". Put a little anit seize on both sides of the offset washer and they work great. I bought them on ebay.
87 Notch in progress
Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (1)

im having the same problem i cannot locate the required lug nuts/washers combo to bolt a set of 17x4 greg welds on the the front of my 96 mustang
anyone have a link to the proper lug/washer combo
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

race star ind. has them as a complete kit washers lugs and rings
1-888-492-9394

http://www.racestarindustries.com/

http://www.racestarindustries.com/catalog.html

Last edited by cam2; 03-15-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #8

I found a solution for the Greg Weld wheels lug nuts!

I bought mine from Summit, as well as the lug nuts they recommend. Shanked lug nuts with offset washers. I forget the part number, but they are wrong.

No matter what I tried I could not get them to work properly. The problem is the offset washers act as a cam lock; as you loosen/tighten them they dig into the wheel. I could tell one of two things or both was going to happen.....they were going to damage my wheels or I was going to end up breaking a stud.

I got so frustrated I just about returned them. I researched the internet and the forums. I found a lot of guys having the same problems. A guy on four eyed pride found this solution and if you search that forum you will find the thread.

Centerline shanked lug nuts work perfectly. The part number is L-5120-0. The are a little more expensive than the Summit brand lug nuts, but they work great and the fit and finish is nice. I returned my Summit lug nuts and exchanged them for these. The wheels bolt on nice and easy just like they should. These lug nuts are shanked and come with washers. They are also open at the ends which is nice if you plan to run extended studs in the future. If you want closed ends, they make those too. You will have to get Summit to cross reference them and give you the part number for those.

I hope this helps! I struggled with this forever. I was glad to finally be able to get them mounted correctly. I've had no problems and they are a great wheel for the money. Not the Bogart's that I wanted, but a good budget wheel.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #9

Greg Weld/ RaceStar Industries Wheels & Info

Thanks for the info on the lug nuts & washers....

I made an attempt to contact RaceStar Industries (both phone & E-mail)to inquire about their wheels (as a match to the 2 rear Greg Welds I had already purchased)

I inquired about the lug nuts & washers they recommend, using anti-sieze on the washers, what improvements they had made to the wheels since they were now making them etc.

Let me tell you what....I have NEVER dealt with a bigger dic#head in my life. The guy at RaceStar industries offered ZERO help, ZERO advice, ZERO solutions, ZERO information about improvements to the wheels, ZERO knowledge of any kind....

He was completely oblivious (or at least he pretended he was) to the prior issues of the Greg Weld Wheels....he was defensive about anything/everything.....

All he wanted to do was slam wheels out the door....

Since I had already bought the rear set of Greg Weld's I really wanted to keep on that track and finish out the set with 2 RaceStar skinnys....but after talking & e-mailing with that total jerk...I was not about to put a nickel toward RaceStars.

A couple days later I attended the Bradenton, Fla NMRA event where I spoke to several racers, saw Race Stars on several cars, talked to the guys at BlowByRacing....ended up purchasing the 2 RaceStar skinnys and 20 new open-ended lugs & washers from BlowByRacing.

I'm hoping to finish my car up & get it to the track in the next 3-4 weeks...I'll let you know how things go with the wheels & lugs.

Regardless....If I'm making recommendations to a friend....I would tell them to STEER CLEAR of RaceStar Industries...they are a bunch of as$holes!
Stick with a reputable wheel builder and you won't have to worry, jump through hoops,take special precautions, and lose sleep over something as simple as bolting wheels on your car. This is a clear case of.....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Last edited by KennethRisher; 03-17-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #10

You are exactly right. I also called Racestar and evidently I talked to the same jerk you did. He was of no help. I was so glad I found that thread on Four Eyed Pride with the Centerline part #. I lost entirely too much sleep over a stupid design flaw. Had I known the headache these wheels were going to be I wouldn't have bought them. A perfect example of "You get what you pay for." I'm happy with them now though, only because I didn't pay much for them and they look better than stock.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakedoc257 View Post
I bought mine from Summit, as well as the lug nuts they recommend. Shanked lug nuts with offset washers. I forget the part number, but they are wrong.

No matter what I tried I could not get them to work properly. The problem is the offset washers act as a cam lock; as you loosen/tighten them they dig into the wheel. I could tell one of two things or both was going to happen.....they were going to damage my wheels or I was going to end up breaking a stud.

I got so frustrated I just about returned them. I researched the internet and the forums. I found a lot of guys having the same problems. A guy on four eyed pride found this solution and if you search that forum you will find the thread.

Centerline shanked lug nuts work perfectly. The part number is L-5120-0. The are a little more expensive than the Summit brand lug nuts, but they work great and the fit and finish is nice. I returned my Summit lug nuts and exchanged them for these. The wheels bolt on nice and easy just like they should. These lug nuts are shanked and come with washers. They are also open at the ends which is nice if you plan to run extended studs in the future. If you want closed ends, they make those too. You will have to get Summit to cross reference them and give you the part number for those.

I hope this helps! I struggled with this forever. I was glad to finally be able to get them mounted correctly. I've had no problems and they are a great wheel for the money. Not the Bogart's that I wanted, but a good budget wheel.

Which wheels did you use these on? Direct drill or dual drill? Will this lug kit work on dual drill Race Stars?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

Lug nuts

I used these lug nuts on my Greg Weld 4 lug wheels. I believe they were called Racelites. Not sure if they were "dual drill" though I always called them Uni-lug. I don't think using offset washers of any kind is a good idea as they can bind up and act as a cam lock when you go to remove them.

I still have them, and so far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement