can a diesel engine turbo be used for for a gas engine? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Turbochargers

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (59)

can a diesel engine turbo be used for for a gas engine?

a buddy of mine has access to a couple turbos from diesel engines. he started asking me if they could be used to build some horsepower on a carbed 302 or 351 motor with nitrous . custom fabricating it isnt the problem i just wanna make sure we can use these before we go hooking them on a gas motor. i told him i understand what hes trying to accomplish ( free turbo cheap horsepower), but i wasnt sure if they could be used. so here i am asking you guys. i know i didnt provide that much info on the turbos and what not. but you should basically get what im saying we have turbos that are for diesel motors, we were wondering if we could use them to build power . my buddy threw 4 of them away last month so if we can use them hes gonna kick himself in the ass. ill try to find out more info on the turbos. im not sure if the 302 motor by itself will create enough exhaust velocity to spin the turbo to proper impeller rpm to create the boost. but with a 200 shot of nitrous the exhaust velocity should be 3 times as much as normal . it would be nice to be able to throw one of these turbos on my other mustang for basically no cost at all . any help or suggestions would be great thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Yes they can work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpmax
Yes they can work.

Have a good day!
Michael
Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (8)

Well, just so you know, anything larger than the T3 turbo used on the 80s Turbo Fords, Grand National, or early 300ZX IS a diesel turbo.
All of those T4s, T66, T72, etc were at one time a diesel application.
That said, just because it came from a diesel doesnt mean its the proper turbo for what you are doing. It still has to be sized properly. There are some HUGE diesel turbos and some tiny ones.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:57 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

The thing that I have noticed is that turbos from diesel applications is that the exhaust housings tend to be a lot larger than one from a similar sized gas application. I think this would make the turbo somewhat lazy when driving on the street.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (20)

One way to start thinking about it is what size diesel motors are they off of? Even better is what make/size turbos
Erich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement