Turbo Specs question-Holset HX35W - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Turbochargers

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Turbo Specs question-Holset HX35W

I have a used turbo kit that I'm planning to install soon. It came with a Holset HX35W, but I can't find the A/Rs or anything for it...not really anything but serial #s and a few random single digits cast on it. Most turbos I've seen have the #s cast right on the turbine and compressor housings.

I got this setup from a guy who had it on a stock 5.0 and he was pretty happy with it until he blew his engine. Problem is mine's not stock, its around 300rwhp. It's a '93 shortblock with Edelbrock Performer heads/intake and F303 cam. I'm afraid the turbo might be too small, but don't know the specs for it. I did find a compressor map...which seems to show its a bit on the small side if I read it right. Also is this turbo physically upgradable? I'd hate to get rid of it, since its in perfect shape. Its freshly rebuilt and spins freely with no shaft play at all.

It also came with a large front mount intercooler and 42 lb injectors. I still need to get a bypass valve since I'm planning on running this draw through. I'm looking for around 425-450rwhp max for now, since its a stock block and will be used 90% street driving.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Holset turbo

I wouldn't think this turbo would be enough for your engine, but that is just
my .02.....alot of ricer's and v6 car's run this turbo.

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

1992 mustang gt twinturbo'd
run's 12's
1988 mustang gt bottlefed
2004 mustang mach 1
1989 mustang coupe 4 cyl
1980 mustang coupe 4 cyl
Site owner of www.insanemustangs.com

see pics of my cars
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:21 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

A guy on turbomustangs made 450 with it i believe....i know it was above 400.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (6)

Lots of 2.3T guys run this turbo. It's getting our lil' motors to over 500 hp without signs of surge.

If your goal is 450 hp, I'd use what you've got.

Have a good day!
Michael
Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (5)

hx 35

This would not be my choice for a turbo on a v8 mustang, I have this turbo on my cummins diesel and it's not very efficient in my opinion. I'll be taking it off and putting a larger hx40 on soon. You could sell that turbo on ebay for a couple dollars. Mike
Old 04-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitfire23
You could sell that turbo on ebay for a couple dollars. Mike
If you decide not to use it, just let me know. I'll save you the trouble of going through Ebay !

Have a good day!
Michael
Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (8)

It's a little small but at the same time, for those lower HP levels, the compressor is okay, you just want to find a larger exhaust housing to free up the high RPM range. And you can always make a hybrid HX35/40 with a 40 compressor if you want more power but you like the spool of the 35. It should spool crazy fast though.
88 Turbocoupe
Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #8

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I like the idea of a hybrid, but haven't found much detail on what I need to do the conversion. Is the exhaust housing also upgradable if I find it spools too quickly? The current exhaust housing is very small...looks alot smaller than the Garrett T04E14 I have. The Garrett has a .84 A/R turbine and a .70 compressor. This HX35 appears to have a larger compressor though. Still haven't found exact numbers for the Holset yet, there seems to be a few different ones. I guess I'll have to take it apart and take some measurements.

I don't want more than about 450hp, since I won't be able to afford an aftermarket block for a few years. We're in the process of building a house and I can't spend anymore money on this. I have a couple of extra stock shortblocks in case I blow this up right away, but I'd rather not have to use them.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitfire23
This would not be my choice for a turbo on a v8 mustang, I have this turbo on my cummins diesel and it's not very efficient in my opinion. I'll be taking it off and putting a larger hx40 on soon. You could sell that turbo on ebay for a couple dollars. Mike
The turbo acts drastically different on a gasoline engine.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (8)

You can definitely find larger exhaust housings, that probably has a 12 cm^2 housing or around that, AFAIK you can get as big as 16 cm^2 which is essentially a larger A/R housing.
88 Turbocoupe
Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #11

I'm pretty sure its the 12cm^2 housing with a T3 mounting flange. Does the larger housing also have the small T3 style flange and similar downpipe flange? Do you know of someplace I can get specific info for this type of swap? Unless the exhaust housing swap is simple and fairly cheap, I'm probably going to use what I have for now, then upgrade the entire set-up later. If I'll have to change a bunch of stuff, I might as well sell this whole kit to someone with a stock engine, then start from scratch with a more appropriate turbo and do a better routing job....if/when I have the time and money to start over.

BTW, here are the part numbers I found on the turbo.

Compressor housing: 3530521
Turbine housing: 3533139
Wastegate cover: 3533028
Old 05-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #12

Should have the same T3 housing, the downpipe flange is probably the same too, and there is a guy on Ebay that sells cut flanges you can weld as well.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #13

Cool. I'll try to dig up more info about it. I can afford a couple hundred more for mods, but that's about it.

thanks,
Mike
Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #14

u can get a 16 cm housing for that ether wastegated or none ,, none wastegate is under 200$ ether 2.5 v band or 4 in hx40 style , ill post some web links if ya need

My Page

T E A
Old 05-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #15

Yes, please post the links. I haven't had much luck finding any definite answers myself.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #16

http://www.htturbo.com/dodge.htm#a heres one,,, I have a bunch saved @ home but this will get u started and u can upgrade to a 60mm wheel for under 200$

My Page

T E A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement