Vacuum line routing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Turbochargers

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Vacuum line routing

Can someone help with where each line goes and where the boost controller drops in.
It looks like the bov and wastegate both have ports. I also have to run a line back to my fpr since im taking my dry kit off but it should just come off the tree right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 AM   #2

Tial has some helpful diagrams on their website, http://www.tialsport.com/techincal.htm . On most wastegates, you hook up the lower port to vacuum, and leave the upper port open to atmosphere. Most boost controllers just connect in somewhere on the vacuum line between the wastegate and the intake or turbo (vacuum port - source). A BOV should be fine connected to just about any of the vacuum lines on the intake.

89 GT
MP T70 Intercooled Single Turbo
Tremec TKO, GT40 Intake,
Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads, F303 cam
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 PM   #3

The only port i see on the wastegate is on the side, theres not one on the top. I can see a threaded hole so i guess the guy before had it vent into the atmosphere like you said.
So i can run the sideport to the tree on the firewall or the back of my upper correct. And somewhere along the way i can drop in my boost controller?

On the bov I can just run it to my upper or tree also.

That diagrahm makes it look to me like the wastegate line goes before the tb and uses the top port for the boost controller.
Just want to make sure before i get it on the road. Thanks for the help
Old 12-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #4

The top port is/can be used with digital boost controller's........if you just have a manual boost controller, you run 1 line from the sensor port on the turbo, to the lower point on your wastegate...then your boost controller fit's in between the turbo and the wastegate........"if you don't have the port on the turbo, then yes, go to anywhere in your vacuum system in order to sense the boost...."

Your blow off valve can go to any vacuum line on your vaccum system.....

1992 mustang gt twinturbo'd
run's 12's
1988 mustang gt bottlefed
2004 mustang mach 1
1989 mustang coupe 4 cyl
1980 mustang coupe 4 cyl
Site owner of www.insanemustangs.com

see pics of my cars
Old 12-03-2005, 01:21 AM   #5

Got it thanks. It just sounded way too easy
Old 12-03-2005, 01:45 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (9)

I was looking to do this but i was told if i use the lower port on the wastegate, and the manifold for boost pressure, that i will not be able raise my boost because i will be helping to open the wastegate more with the manual boost controll in that position, resulting in less boost. Is this true?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #7

That is what i have read too..........i personally have never ran my wastegate lines to a vacuum source like that......i set mine up so that it sense's the build up of boost at the actual cold side of the turbo's.......

1992 mustang gt twinturbo'd
run's 12's
1988 mustang gt bottlefed
2004 mustang mach 1
1989 mustang coupe 4 cyl
1980 mustang coupe 4 cyl
Site owner of www.insanemustangs.com

see pics of my cars
Old 12-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (9)

Will it work this way? Or can i not use the lower port? i dont have a vac spot on the compressor. so i'd have to use my intake as 'boost source'.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhite86gt
Will it work this way? Or can i not use the lower port? i dont have a vac spot on the compressor. so i'd have to use my intake as 'boost source'.
My turbo didn't have a port either...so here is what I did, and it works great: I removed the breather tube elbow from the throttle body (the one with the tube that goes to the oil fill neck), used a tap to put NPT threads in the hole left by it ( I forget what size, it was 1/8 or 1/4 NPT I believe) and screwed a small brass elbow that had a hose barb on one end into it. This way, my wastegate is connected to a port after the turbo and before the throttle body, just as it should be, and that port was going to be capped and unused anyway after the turbo install.

89 GT
MP T70 Intercooled Single Turbo
Tremec TKO, GT40 Intake,
Edelbrock Performer 5.0 Heads, F303 cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement