Post 1/4 mile times changing from a 4.10/3.73 to 3.27/3.55 gear. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Turbochargers

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (4)

Post 1/4 mile times changing from a 4.10/3.73 to 3.27/3.55 gear.

All I ever hear on here is trust me the 3.27 or 3.55 will make the car quicker, but nobody ever has 1/4 miles times to back it up. The way a car FEELS on the street with the old butt-o-meter is often VERY deceiving, so I really don't need more posts on I did the change and trust me it's quicker. I could of just done a search and gotten a million of those posts!!

I would actually like to go back to stock type gears, I am one of the very few who never liked the 4.10's even on my 4v. I am begging to go to a 3.27/3.55 gear and have both setting in my garage as we speak, but ONLY if the car will be at least as quick in the 1/4 as it is currently!! Mods in sig.

So how about it, anyone got hard numbers on what the change did for their car?

New Driver-97 Pacific Green Cobra. Forged, 2.1 Kenne Bell, T-56, 3.73. 12.6 @ 112mph
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (6)

I'll update u this weekend... I'm running 410 gears now with a c4 and just 6psi boost on stock block bottom end 302 with h/c/i with a 1.72 60ft car has been 10.84 @ 115 running outta gear at 800ft out.... Putting 327 gears in Friday afternoon and taking it to the track that night
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

i will post on here i am going to make a few passes with 3.73 then switch to 3.27 and see what ones are better. just waiting on my converter to get here
Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #4

I'll be very interested to see your guy's time change. Anyone else?

New Driver-97 Pacific Green Cobra. Forged, 2.1 Kenne Bell, T-56, 3.73. 12.6 @ 112mph
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #5

It's hard to believe that I am all by myself here, nobody else has tried their 3.73/4.10's after a turbo installation at the strip before going to the 3.27/3.55??!?!?! I don't even expect the actual slip to be posted, just wanting your experience.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (32)

My car currently has 3:73's and it's not even driving yet, but I plan on swapping out to 3:27's before it's even tuned. One, because of everyone and their brother saying that you want a gear that is going to allow you to use the spool to it's full potentional and not just fly through the rpms. But also because I want my car to be a nice cruiser and I know it was with 3:73's but with 3:27's I know the car will putt around very nicely and get decent gas mileage
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaRoh View Post
My car currently has 3:73's and it's not even driving yet, but I plan on swapping out to 3:27's before it's even tuned. One, because of everyone and their brother saying that you want a gear that is going to allow you to use the spool to it's full potentional and not just fly through the rpms. But also because I want my car to be a nice cruiser and I know it was with 3:73's but with 3:27's I know the car will putt around very nicely and get decent gas mileage
I am an old man with old school ways!!! I know it is probably so, but you know with the internet, myth becomes reality!! I would just like to see verification or at least some testimony of actual numbers!! The ole' butt-o-meter testimony means little!!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (14)

The whole swap to higher gears with the turbo IMHO is overhyped.

Yeah its easy to outrun the turbo in 1st gear with lower gears.

The actual RPM spool threshold doesnt really change much in my expierence.

You will notice you will be able to get the turbo spooled in lower gears easier.

For the absolute fastest quarter mile time. you need to dial your rear gear in to cross the traps at peak power etc etc. just like any other car. and you can address your spooling issues with a 2step limter or trans brake.

The higher gear swap can help you be able to use your lower gears like 1st and 2nd.

I went from 3.90s to 3.27s and i liked the swap, as i can actually use 1st gear now. But the car pulled harder with the lower gears... the car feels more like a dog out of boost too.

also with the higher gears you dont have to shift so often which with a larger turbo can be good if you have a problem with lag b/w gears.

Its all a trade off dont fall into the false assumption that swapping to the higher gears is all magical and the end all of a turbo car.
70mm masterpower single turbo setup.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan88 View Post
The whole swap to higher gears with the turbo IMHO is overhyped.

Yeah its easy to outrun the turbo in 1st gear with lower gears.

The actual RPM spool threshold doesnt really change much in my expierence.

You will notice you will be able to get the turbo spooled in lower gears easier.

For the absolute fastest quarter mile time. you need to dial your rear gear in to cross the traps at peak power etc etc. just like any other car. and you can address your spooling issues with a 2step limter or trans brake.

The higher gear swap can help you be able to use your lower gears like 1st and 2nd.

I went from 3.90s to 3.27s and i liked the swap, as i can actually use 1st gear now. But the car pulled harder with the lower gears... the car feels more like a dog out of boost too.

also with the higher gears you dont have to shift so often which with a larger turbo can be good if you have a problem with lag b/w gears.

Its all a trade off dont fall into the false assumption that swapping to the higher gears is all magical and the end all of a turbo car.
This is a datalog on my stockblock 96 Cobra, T-45, 28"' slicks and 4.10's. 2-step wasn't working, and in fact, the notes I added are off a little, the "staging" and "1st gear" are actually both just 1st gear, I was spinning so I got out of it enough to hook back up. Looks like to me that I am seeing pretty much full boost almost immediately.

My point is, if I am seeing full boost and not running out of gear at the 1320' stripe, how would another gear be beneficial?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #10

It wont.
Going to a taller gear in your case will only slow you down. if you have no problems having boost off the line your golden as long as you have enough gear which you said you do.

The higher gear swap can help on the street, since you can rarely get a real "launch" on the street. So you have to roll into the throttle at lower revs and you notice any lag you may have.

On my own car i run a 3.27 gear, i run a stock block and i dont plan on pushing my combo too fast, after running the 3.27s for a while i wouldnt mind going to a 3.55 or possibly even a 3.73, since i plan on a auto swap and 1st gear is usually taller than a manual trans.

Like i said, a 3.27 on my car is good for around 150mph, i wont be anywhere near close to running than in the quarter with my setup. and i definatly wont be going that fast on the street especially with skinny weld wheels up front with 90/10s. so i'd have a range of speed i wont hardly use so i can benefit from gearing it down without many ill affects.

Heres a simple way to look at for your car, would you change to a taller gear on a N/A car in attempt to go faster and your not running out of gear. Of course not! Now since your car is boosting right off the line, your not having to worry about crossing that threshold from no boost to boost. Your at that higher magnitude of power all the way down right from takeoff, and your not running out of gear, so you will treat the gearing the same as you would any other old drag car, and you can see why it would slow you down in your case.

Last edited by foxfan88; 09-10-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (143)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan88 View Post
Heres a simple way to look at for your car, would you change to a taller gear on a N/A car in attempt to go faster and your not running out of gear. Of course not!
n/a cars do NOT make the torque that turbo cars do

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #12

Of course on a given engine size thats true. but thats not what i am talking about. The whole theory behind the higher gear swap is to quicken the spool time. torque has nothing to do with what we are talking about. there are plenty of all big inch motor race motors that make torque numbers that shatter that of some smaller turbo engines, would we treat those motors any different since they make alot of torque. its all about airflow, boosting a small engine essisentally makes it perform like a larger motor.

But if the said engine is under boost off the line, the motor wont act any different than a N/A engine besides the fact your going to make a whole lot more power, due to more air from the higher absolute pressure in the engine air. The "magnitude" has changed but the characteristic of the engine remain the same as without boost.

If your not having to worry about spooling your turbo and crossing that threshold into boost, you wont treat the gearing any different than any other race car just make sure your not running out of gear.

Last edited by foxfan88; 09-10-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #13

Very interesting...you see it's no accident that nobody wants to discuss specifics about before and afters!!

WHY WON'T ANYONE TALK ABOUT THIS!!!!

Oh and here is in-car video of a VERY similar run to the datalog I have posted above, but it is NOT the same run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu1smEmv3TM

Last edited by goat-ee; 09-11-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #14

goat-ee: have you dynoed your car before? also, hwo much does it weight?

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
goat-ee: have you dynoed your car before? also, hwo much does it weight?
When I 1st put on the kit I had it dyno-tuned and yes I got a number of 447rwhp. (felt bogus to me) Never ran worth and damn, long story short I ended up datalogging and having LaSota Racing do the tune, no dyno, all on the streets. Never been happier with the car!!

Never been weighed, I should stop at a truck stop sometime and see!! But other than what was required for the turbo installation (tubular k, a-arms and coil-overs) there has been no weight reduction and even at the strip the only things I take out is the spare/jack and the un-used nitrous bottle!! Thats right, the nitrous is still there and is fully functional (other than an m/t bottle), even got 40hp jets in it!!

Last edited by goat-ee; 09-11-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #16

i got some free time today so will put in my $0.02 as i just swapped from 373s to 331s...

my car ran 11.60 @ 127 (best was 130) and that's on a 2.0' as my suspension is more road racing oriented and on nitto NT05s 285s on 18s. i loved the way 373s felt on the street, or so i thought, but at the track first gear was just about useless and i bounced of the rev limiter on the top end and hence the change. these times were on my low boost 10# which makes 550/550 and given that the car has other tunes including a 700/775 a gear change was a must.

my first impressions of the 331s were very positive. spool time is not an issue with my car, in fact, i will be playing around with the AMS500 timer/delay feature, so i didn’t see any spool difference between the two gears. what i did notice which i like lot is the simple fact that each gear is more useable or rather last longer and can spend more time accelerating in each gear.

the bad part is that i spun a rod bearing that very same night and never had a chance to go to the track the next day as i had originally planned.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
i got some free time today so will put in my $0.02 as i just swapped from 373s to 331s...

my car ran 11.60 @ 127 (best was 130) and that's on a 2.0' as my suspension is more road racing oriented and on nitto NT05s 285s on 18s. i loved the way 373s felt on the street, or so i thought, but at the track first gear was just about useless and i bounced of the rev limiter on the top end and hence the change. these times were on my low boost 10# which makes 550/550 and given that the car has other tunes including a 700/775 a gear change was a must.

my first impressions of the 331s were very positive. spool time is not an issue with my car, in fact, i will be playing around with the AMS500 timer/delay feature, so i didn’t see any spool difference between the two gears. what i did notice which i like lot is the simple fact that each gear is more useable or rather last longer and can spend more time accelerating in each gear.

the bad part is that i spun a rod bearing that very same night and never had a chance to go to the track the next day as i had originally planned.
So once again, it "feels" better!!! I appreciate your posting, but still the same thing I always get for a direct comparison.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #18

i guess its on you to prove

355s are good for 130s so if you're not making the power to go faster than you should consider it

Last edited by pkstang; 09-12-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (0)

i am very interested in this as well. right now i have 3.73 and im hitting the limiter before the stripe. spinning it to 6400 trapping 138 so it should be a little higher. i would like to only spin the engine around 6000. so i dont know how numerical lower i want go. dont want to lose any et.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (7)

bone stock motor with 66mm turbo and c4 i just ran with my 3.73 and hit the rev limiter at the end of the track. i just installed 3.27s and hope to hit the track tomorrow. if everything works out i will post my results

Last edited by lechols155; 09-16-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (15)

Anyone ever get a run after the swap in?
306,9,5:1,AFR 185s,RPMII,xe264hr,ProMagnum rockers,turbonetics 66S,bg kit,METH,Flowmaster catback,Accufab race 75mm,pro tube,60lb injectors,255lph walbro BAP,ac delete,no smog,full MSD ignition,mark fan,3G alt,TKO600,spec stage 3,alum flywheel,3.55s
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (5)

I have. Back in 2006 when i first got the turbo on my car. Same motor, turbo kit, C4, just made the gear swap from 3.73s to 3.31s Car ran out of gear before the finish line and ran a 11.2s. After the gear swap car ran 10.42@128. Auto cars need the taller gear, while stick shift cars still need the short gear.

With the turbo you dont need the gears anymore to get the car moving because the turbo now brings more torque to do so. If you feel that your car has more lag after making the switch then there are things you can do to improve this instead of gears.

Make the turbo work, instead of having the gears do it.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (12)

Have a 90 mustang with a on3 kit with a c4 and with 373 went 6.80 1/8mile switched to 327 and ran 7.0 it killed my 60ft leaving off break at full boost with both sets of gears gonna try 4.10s car has 0 turbo lag with both sets of gears

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion1015 View Post
Have a 90 mustang with a on3 kit with a c4 and with 373 went 6.80 1/8mile switched to 327 and ran 7.0 it killed my 60ft leaving off break at full boost with both sets of gears gonna try 4.10s car has 0 turbo lag with both sets of gears

1) your running 1/8th mile instead of 1/4. With those 373 your car wont run any faster than 125-130 on a highway pull much less a 1/4 pull.

2) without seeing the timeslips in comparison, or datalog, Im willing to bet you had other issues that gave you the slower time.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostang90 View Post
I have. Back in 2006 when i first got the turbo on my car. Same motor, turbo kit, C4, just made the gear swap from 3.73s to 3.31s Car ran out of gear before the finish line and ran a 11.2s. After the gear swap car ran 10.42@128. Auto cars need the taller gear, while stick shift cars still need the short gear.

With the turbo you dont need the gears anymore to get the car moving because the turbo now brings more torque to do so. If you feel that your car has more lag after making the switch then there are things you can do to improve this instead of gears.

Make the turbo work, instead of having the gears do it.
Do you think if you had NOT ran out of gear you still would have picked up some time?
306,9,5:1,AFR 185s,RPMII,xe264hr,ProMagnum rockers,turbonetics 66S,bg kit,METH,Flowmaster catback,Accufab race 75mm,pro tube,60lb injectors,255lph walbro BAP,ac delete,no smog,full MSD ignition,mark fan,3G alt,TKO600,spec stage 3,alum flywheel,3.55s
Old 04-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #26

Trader Feedback: (11)

I swapped from 3.27's to 3.55's and picked up a little E.T. and MPH on my low boost setting. On my high boost setting, I ran out of gear about 100 feet before the stripe. My car is definitely more fun around town with the 3.55's, but it felt like it pulled harder up top with the 3.27's.
1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTICSVT View Post
I swapped from 3.27's to 3.55's and picked up a little E.T. and MPH on my low boost setting. On my high boost setting, I ran out of gear about 100 feet before the stripe. My car is definitely more fun around town with the 3.55's, but it felt like it pulled harder up top with the 3.27's.
Hmm... Interesting. I take it you ended up going slower on high boost due to running out of gear?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyboy107 View Post
Do you think if you had NOT ran out of gear you still would have picked up some time?
No. I gained alot in the MPH too. I knocked almost a full second off just on the gear swap, and thats launching on a slick on the 2 step with both gears. I know i made the right decision going with the 3.31s. Easy cruising on the freeway, and still handles its business on the strip.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #29

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyboy107 View Post
Hmm... Interesting. I take it you ended up going slower on high boost due to running out of gear?
Yes. Was hitting the 6000 RPM limiter I had it set to. And I had forgotten my laptop that day. So I had no way of moving it up.
1989 5.0 T5 LX Hatch - Explorer Short Block with an FMS F-303 cam, TFS TW170 heads, Tmoss Ported Cobra Intake, an On3 Turbo Kit with a 67mm Ceramic Ball Bearing Turbo, and backed by a T56 Magnum 6spd.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #30

3.273.73Changed nothing but the gears.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted mustang View Post
3.273.73Changed nothing but the gears.
Stick shift cars work better with lower gear ratios. Although your times are pretty close, the 3.73s had a better mph.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #32

Good info in here... this should be stickied.

I went from a 3.55 to a 3.08 in my old car and it was a bit too much I feel. I am going with a 3.27 on my new car. Should be just right.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #33

Garage
Any updates? Combo is in sig. I am really considering making the swap to 3.27 or 3.31.

It would help if you guys that do the actual swap specify if you're running an auto or 5 speed.

I am running a Dynamic C4/converter. Unfortunately the only pass i made with my current setup blew both head gaskets a bit before the 1/8 mile traps. I "coasted to a 7.2 @ 104 / 11.8 @ 90. 60' was an easy launch 2.0.

Now waiting on bigger inj's and possibly gear swap.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lephelps78 View Post
Any updates? Combo is in sig. I am really considering making the swap to 3.27 or 3.31.

It would help if you guys that do the actual swap specify if you're running an auto or 5 speed.

I am running a Dynamic C4/converter. Unfortunately the only pass i made with my current setup blew both head gaskets a bit before the 1/8 mile traps. I "coasted to a 7.2 @ 104 / 11.8 @ 90. 60' was an easy launch 2.0.

Now waiting on bigger inj's and possibly gear swap.

3.31 or 3.27 are so close that I dont think you will notice a difference. But you do need to make the switch with running that C4.

Does your C4 have a trans brake? If so, then use that with a 2 step to build some boost off the line and youll be golden.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #35

Garage
Yea. It has a brake. I do have all the 2 step and selectors wired up & ready to go. The 3.73 is great on the street but i know i eont even come close to the 1/4 with them. I do plan on making the swap. Just keeping an eye on this thread during the down time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement