Hellion "Heat" Turbo Kit Build - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Turbochargers

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Hellion "Heat" Turbo Kit Build

Back in May I purchased a Hellion turbo kit through Chris at Power Adder Solutions for my 1990 Mustang. Unfortunately Hellion had to order the piping from Bassani and it ended up taking 3 months for me to get a complete kit. Chris was very helpful throughout the process and even made me a tune for my setup. Great guy to do business with.

During the wait I did what I could: wired an MSD 6AL-2, removed the smog equipment, and installed a boost gauge. Since it is my daily driver and the motor was stock from the throttle body to the oil pan, I had to buy additional parts for the install and it all had to happen over a long weekend.

The first hurdle was that the piping arrived without any o2 bungs:

After a call to Hellion I discovered that they quit putting the bungs on the heat kits. They offered to weld them on for me if I shipped the piping back but I'd have to cover shipping costs. They couldn't immediately provide me with pictures or diagrams showing the exact locations for the bungs so I made a thread asking for help:

Best O2 Sensor Location (Foxbody Hellion Heat Kit)

2 days before I began the install they Emailed me 2 pics to show me where to have the narrowband o2 bungs installed:

Yesterday I marked the piping and took it to a reputable local shop to have the bungs tigged and got to work on the car. Removed the stock headers and H-pipe, tapped the pan, added the t-fitting for the oil pressure sender, and changed the oil:

Picked the piping up and brought it home to start wrapping it in heat wrap and noticed this:

Woke up this morning and returned the pipe to the shop to be fixed and dug in to my car along with my dad. Pulled off the upper intake and valve covers. 42 lb injectors installed:

Aeromotive FPR and gauge installed:

The piping for the gauge wouldn't clear the smog control module on the intake manifold so we removed the 90* and extension and it fit perfect.

Valve cover gaskets and spark plugs replaced. Mocking up the headers:

SURPRISE! Frame rail has to be notched, charcoal canister moved forward, and A/C lines bent out of the way:

SURPRISE! If you don't relocate the oil filter you have to remove the driver side header to change it (SEE POST #28 FOR UPDATE)

Intake back on with new upper gasket and everything reattached:

More tomorrow

Last edited by BenLX; 09-09-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 AM   #2

Nice build so far. I bolted a turbo kit to a completely stock 5.0 as well (from throttle body to oil pan) and ended up making right at 400 rwhp on a very conservative tune. It was an absloute blast to drive. I can't believe the shop welded the bung with the flange on the wrong side, LOL. Do yourself a favor while you have everything apart and have some fittings welded to your valve covers so you can vent your crankcase to a catchcan. Wish I had done this years ago. This will require blocking off the PCV valve. Since doing this I no longer have to wipe the oil mist off my motor all the time. Boost the engine and oil WILL find its way out everywhere, even on a motor with fresh gaskets like mine was. Even through the brand new rear main seal. After I installed the catchcan and blocked off the PCV, all these problems quietly went away. Just something to think about. Look forward to the rest of your build.
1989 LX: Vortech YS-Trim blown DSS 347, Stage 3 Twisted Wedges, Holley Systemax 2, AFM B-451 cam, AFM Power-Pipe, AFM PMS, 80mm Pro-M, Aeromotive 1000 hp fuel system, Precision Turbo 65 lb/hr injectors, UEGO 1000 Wide Band O2, MSD 6BTM and Distributor, 33-spline Moser axles and spool, Bogart Drag-On Stars, UPR Chromemoly K-member and A-Arms, Kooks 1-7/8", Dr. Gas, 130 amp alt, etc.

1991 GT Convertible: stone stock, PA AOD, Edge Converter, 62mm Turbo, 397 rwhp, 458 lb./ft rwtq @ 8 psi
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown8950 View Post
Nice build so far. I bolted a turbo kit to a completely stock 5.0 as well (from throttle body to oil pan) and ended up making right at 400 rwhp on a very conservative tune. It was an absloute blast to drive. I can't believe the shop welded the bung with the flange on the wrong side, LOL. Do yourself a favor while you have everything apart and have some fittings welded to your valve covers so you can vent your crankcase to a catchcan. Wish I had done this years ago. This will require blocking off the PCV valve. Since doing this I no longer have to wipe the oil mist off my motor all the time. Boost the engine and oil WILL find its way out everywhere, even on a motor with fresh gaskets like mine was. Even through the brand new rear main seal. After I installed the catchcan and blocked off the PCV, all these problems quietly went away. Just something to think about. Look forward to the rest of your build.
Thanks. Plan is to have fun with the stock engine while it lasts and to start puting together a stronger block. 400 whp would be nice but I'm not sure that's doable with a 62-1 turbo on 8-10 psi. We will see.

Did a lot of research about going turbo and there was some debate about the need for a catchcan. I decided to roll the dice. When the stock headgaskets let go I will add it. The next round of mods will be oil filter and battery relocation.

Spent a solid day in the garage and it felt like we were taking 2 steps forward and 1 back. Couldn't find tools and parts that we used 5 min prior

Cutting a section of the frame rail:

SURPRISE! Had to cut a chunk out of the sway bar mount on the driver side for the header to clear:

Wrapped the crossover and first section of downpipe with some DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap:

Got lucky with the O2 bung placement:

Passenger side header installed, A/C lines insulated, turbo clocked, oil feed and drain lines semi routed:

For the On3 people

Wrapped up a little early and caught the very end of todays Mustang Club of America show:

I hope to be able to drive my car to the show tomorrow. Plenty left to do.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (13)

[QUOTE=BenLX;10001655]
For the On3 people

No offense, but you would think for as much as your kit cost those type of things should be hand crafted in America if not gold plated. None the less, it is a nice kit and good luck with it.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoline347 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLX View Post
For the On3 people

No offense, but you would think for as much as your kit cost those type of things should be hand crafted in America if not gold plated. None the less, it is a nice kit and good luck with it.
I know, right? I'll be lucky if this fitting doesn't crack or spring a leak within 10,000 miles
Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

[QUOTE=cmoline347;10001986]
Quote:
For the On3 people

kit looks good, i wouldn't have expected that much modification had to be done to your car to fit that kit. ouch, cutting the frame rail sucks. that fitting is killing me, you should post this build on turblow forums and ask them how long the fitting will last.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

Did the kit specify what motor mounts to use ? Some kits do, and run into this problem if the right ones aren't used.I'd check before you cut. If that or the K-member is different than the one they may have mocked up, you may just need to shim the engine.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxboostedGT View Post
kit looks good, i wouldn't have expected that much modification had to be done to your car to fit that kit. ouch, cutting the frame rail sucks. that fitting is killing me, you should post this build on turblow forums and ask them how long the fitting will last.
Thanks. I certainly didn't think it was going to be an all weekend thrash but that's what it turned in to. About 50 hours between 2 people and I still need to relocate the charcoal canister and attach the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secgoal View Post
Did the kit specify what motor mounts to use ? Some kits do, and run into this problem if the right ones aren't used.I'd check before you cut. If that or the K-member is different than the one they may have mocked up, you may just need to shim the engine.
Nope. Using stock K member and nothing in the instructions specifies the need for any additional parts or modifications. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem is that the car still has the original motor mounts.

Installed the crossover pipe first thing this morning. Sprayed the wrap with DEI High Temp Silicone spray since it is likely to be exposed to water:

Why you need to relocate the oil filter (See post #28 for update)

Driver side done:

Downpipe installed and everything insulated:

Mocking up the exhaust:

Pulled the nose off and discovered that the OEM transmission cooler had to be removed to install the intercooler. Gonna buy a better aftermarket one and relocate it above the intercooler. Also had to grind down the fiberglass bumper:

The actual bumper support needed some pursuasion to clear the piping:

Finishing the cold side:

Everything buttoned up except the front end and the car was started:

Car fired right up and had -20 in HG at idle. AFR was around 12.4. Set the fuel pressure to 38 PSI. Revved the car slowly but it wouldn't go past 4,000 rpm. I pulled the filter off the turbo and noticed the compressor wheel wasn't moving. Turned it off and tried to spin it by hand and it was frozen in place. I figured I either ####ed up the oil lines or damaged it when I clocked it. Turned the car back on, stomped the pedal and heard an explosion followed by the sound of the turbo spooling. LOL I looked under the car and saw the downpipe had been blown off and there were these little pieces of tape or paper everywhere:

I checked the turbo and the compressor spun freely so I said #### it and took the car around the block. Cracked the wastegate open a few times and the car felt good. Saw 8 PSI at 2,500 RPM. Also saw a lean spike at part throttle. I need to get the tune sorted out after I get the front end together.

The oil return fitting was leaking so we sealed it and left the car on a jackstand until tomorrow:

Last edited by BenLX; 09-09-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

I hope you don't have to hack the front bumper cover up to clear the intercooler. LX bumper covers and intercoolers don't typically play well together.
1989 LX: Vortech YS-Trim blown DSS 347, Stage 3 Twisted Wedges, Holley Systemax 2, AFM B-451 cam, AFM Power-Pipe, AFM PMS, 80mm Pro-M, Aeromotive 1000 hp fuel system, Precision Turbo 65 lb/hr injectors, UEGO 1000 Wide Band O2, MSD 6BTM and Distributor, 33-spline Moser axles and spool, Bogart Drag-On Stars, UPR Chromemoly K-member and A-Arms, Kooks 1-7/8", Dr. Gas, 130 amp alt, etc.

1991 GT Convertible: stone stock, PA AOD, Edge Converter, 62mm Turbo, 397 rwhp, 458 lb./ft rwtq @ 8 psi
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown8950 View Post
I hope you don't have to hack the front bumper cover up to clear the intercooler. LX bumper covers and intercoolers don't typically play well together.
The one modification the Hellion instructions DO mention is the bumper cover. Maybe that means I won't have to do it haha.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (29)

Whats the specs on the turbo?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #12

Congrats on boost. So, On3 is not the only kit with fitment problems. Go figure......
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995gtCPE View Post
Whats the specs on the turbo?
Turbonetics 62-1

Journal bearing
P-Trim
.81 A/R
4" compressor inlet
2.5" compressor outlet
T4
3" V-Band exhaust outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd3077 View Post
Congrats on boost. So, On3 is not the only kit with fitment problems. Go figure......
Thanks. I knew we would run into some issues. The problem is that nobody has documented or talked about installing the Hellion kit in detail other than saying it "is a great kit that can be installed by 2 people in a day".

Spent this evening fitting the bumper cover. Quite a bit of material had to be removed. Only pics I took:

Installed the radiator air deflector and tightened up the charge pipe clamps. Finished with the front end:

Took the car out to do some AFR logging around 11pm. Second time I went WOT, the section of exhaust pipe right before the cat blew off and started dragging on the ground. Pulled over and made a call to get some tools. Had some company while waiting:

Got the car back to the garage and my dad put a couple spot welds on the pipe just to the right of the clamp:

Kit installation is done. A big thanks to my dad for helping with the install. Jeff at Hellion needs a raise! Chris at Power Adder Solutions is a stand up guy and made an incredibly good tune just through Email conversation. After he looks over the tweecer logs, I hope to get the car on the dyno and down the track. I will update the thread when those things happen.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (228)

Ben,

Car and install look great!! Nice work. I hate it took longer to get the parts then we anticipated, but looking at the finished product.. always a pleasure with a Hellion Kit and quailty. Just let me know if I can help you with anything else for the build, How is the Base Tune for cruise? Let me know if we need to make any further adjustments.

Thanks,

Chris

For Immediate Assistance Call Us: 1.919.779.4153 >>>Please Do Not Rely On PM's

Office Hours: Monday - Friday (9:00-6:00pm) EST

Come Check Out Our New Website www.poweraddersolutions.com

Distributor For: Innovate Motorsports,Trick Flow,AFR,Pro-M Racing,PMAS,Siemens Deka,Turbosmart,Walbro,BBK Performance,Spec,Remflex,Hellion Power Systems,SCT,Procharger,Vortech and More!

Last edited by PowerAdder Solutions; 08-17-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Jersey True Street Guy

Trader Feedback: (75)

Nice work with the install. Kit looks good on the car. Looking forward to seeing how it runs at the track. Keep us posted!

The LX's aren't very stealthy with the intercoolers. If they are lowered slightly it helps make it not as obvious. At the end of the day, you will likely hear the turbo anyway.
Thanks: Haltech, UPR, DiSomma Racing Engines, Forced Inductions, Baer Brakes, PSI Speed Solutions, BBRC
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerAdder Solutions View Post
Ben,

Car and install look great!! Nice work. I hate it took longer to get the parts then we anticipated, but looking at the finished product.. always a pleasure with a Hellion Kit and quailty. Just let me know if I can help you with anything else for the build, How is the Base Tune for cruise? Let me know if we need to make any further adjustments.

Thanks,

Chris
Part-throttle in vacuum and wide open throttle AFRs look good. Part-throttle in boost goes kinda lean. I'm gonna get the cold start, idle, and WOT logs to you soon. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj50 View Post
Nice work with the install. Kit looks good on the car. Looking forward to seeing how it runs at the track. Keep us posted!

The LX's aren't very stealthy with the intercoolers. If they are lowered slightly it helps make it not as obvious. At the end of the day, you will likely hear the turbo anyway.
Thanks. I'd be happy with low 13's on street tires......for a while lol
Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (13)

[QUOTE=cmoline347;10001986]
Quote:
For the On3 people

To my knowledge Hellion sources stuff to Basanni and someone told me they buy their tubing bent from oversea and then just do their fabrications here. Could be true, might not be, dont really care. Guessing thats the 3 month delay

On3 kits come:

-No cutting swaybar mounts
-o2 sensor bungs pre welded
-Almost always stocked and shipped within days(sometimes same day)

just fueling the fire and joking around, dont take it the wrong way

Good looking car and will be fun

5.0 Fox, SN 5.0, 4.6 2v, 3v, 4v Turbo Systems, NEW Forward Facing 2v & 4v, 5.8 Swapped Foxbody, S197 4.0L V-6 Kits Now In-Stock

90 Coupe 4v Single Turbo, 99 Cobra 9.4psi(526/550), 02 GT 10psi(440/496), 2011 5.0 GT Twin Turbo

Shop Line - Monday Through Friday 10am-4pm Eastern 614-439-0057
Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by On 3 Performance View Post

To my knowledge Hellion sources stuff to Basanni and someone told me they buy their tubing bent from oversea and then just do their fabrications here. Could be true, might not be, dont really care. Guessing thats the 3 month delay

On3 kits come:

-No cutting swaybar mounts
-o2 sensor bungs pre welded
-Almost always stocked and shipped within days(sometimes same day)

just fueling the fire and joking around, dont take it the wrong way

Good looking car and will be fun
Not sure where Bassani buys the piping but I know it has a lifetime warranty even after I added the bungs and heat wrapped it. That's part of the reason I went with the Heat kit.

Hellion waited for somone to buy a kit (me) before ordering another batch of piping. I'm sure they have plenty of them in stock now. Hopefully they won't let it happen again.

Car has been running poorly this past week. A/F at idle was around 19:1 and at part throttle would buck and surge. Car didn't pull as hard either. First thing I checked was the plug wires. Found this on #1 cylinder:

Apparently those Thermo-Tech plug wire shields are only good at reflecting ambient heat and not insulating against direct contact. I reset the ECU and put a new wire on. Car ran good initally and then had similar problems as before.

Today I focused on finding vacuum leaks and noticed I forgot to plug the line to the intake manifold for the carcoal canister. Closed it and reset the ECU and car idles and runs 10 times better.

I still haven't been able to get the Innovate LM-2 to log AFR in Binary Editor using tweecer. This weekend we will try using the LM-1. I need to get Chris at Power Adder Solutions some logs so he can adjust the tune.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (87)

Very nice build. It will be nice to see how it runs at the track also.
1991 LX Calypso Hatch 347,B&G Turbo Kit 74mm PTS ,TSI Built AOD, BOD Tuned.
2008 3500 Mega Cab Hauler 2005 Mustang BIW 25.2 Turbo Monster in the works
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (11)

Thats pretty funny. In regards to your last post my turbo car did the same thing. My black wires looked like rtv when I pulled them out of that thermo bs. I did that and rigged heat wrap on them with 90 degree boot.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod89lx View Post
Very nice build. It will be nice to see how it runs at the track also.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19935.slow View Post
Thats pretty funny. In regards to your last post my turbo car did the same thing. My black wires looked like rtv when I pulled them out of that thermo bs. I did that and rigged heat wrap on them with 90 degree boot.
Yeah the 90* boot I put on did the trick. Added a Thermo-Flex sleeve in addition to the plug wire insulator and haven't had any problems. In hindsight I wish I had wrapped the manifolds. Guess I'll do that when the stock head gaskets go.

Gonna retighten all the clamps tomorrow and check for vaccum leaks again. Hopefully do some logging with A/F included.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Thanks

Yeah the 90* boot I put on did the trick. Added a Thermo-Flex sleeve in addition to the plug wire insulator and haven't had any problems. In hindsight I wish I had wrapped the manifolds. Guess I'll do that when the stock head gaskets go.

Gonna retighten all the clamps tomorrow and check for vaccum leaks again. Hopefully do some logging with A/F included.
Well funny you mention that, my manifolds were wrapped.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Well funny you mention that, my manifolds were wrapped.
At least it will lower underhood temps some. I'm a little surprised at how hot it gets now compared to the stock setup.

Got the LM-1 to log A/F in Binary Editor and did some logging today. Pushed the downpipe off the frame and tightened all the clamps. Also ordered a better trans cooler along with battery and oil filter relocation kits.

Hope to have some numbers soon.....
Old 08-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #24
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (57)

Nice build. What's the heat kit compared to the regular hellion kit?
Old 08-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangmichael View Post
Nice build. What's the heat kit compared to the regular hellion kit?
The heat kit is a stripped down version of the discontinued original fox kit. MAF and injectors are now available as upgrades and I think the piping is a different grade.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (26)

wow nice build thread.

But the heck was all the tape that was shot out from the turbo? That'd have me worried.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by COP_STANG View Post
wow nice build thread.

But the heck was all the tape that was shot out from the turbo? That'd have me worried.
Something stuck in the exhaust piping that was overlooked. Guess my Turbonetics warranty is void haha.

Head gaskets are shot. Coolant is bubbling out of the reservoir driving around normally. If I get on the gas it gushes like a geyser. Bought a "Combustion Leak Block Tester" from NAPA (#BK 700-1006) yesterday to comfirm it.

Time to wrap the exhaust manifolds and think about a catch can. Ordered some TW 185cc heads and a Heat intake manifold from Power Adder Solutions. Should help me run 13's
Old 09-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #28

**THE REASON THE OIL FILTER WOULDN'T CLEAR THE DRIVER'S SIDE HEADER IS BECAUSE MY CAR CAME EQUIPPED WITH AN OIL COOLER THAT MOVED THE POSITION OF THE FILTER OUT FROM THE BLOCK. UNLESS YOU HAVE AN SSP MUSTANG, THIS SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE!**

2 hoses circulate coolant through the adapter where the filter screws on:

Moved the battery to the trunk last weekend in preparation for the remote oil filter and catch can. Removed the exhaust piping and turbo today along with the nose of the car so the new trans cooler can be mounted. Should have it stripped to the block tomorrow and the new heads, gaskets, water pump, and intake manifold on this weekend.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #29

keep us posted. replace those oil filter hoses while you're at it!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #30

Any clue why the head gaskets peaced out?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #31

Quote:
keep us posted. replace those oil filter hoses while you're at it!
I removed the oil cooler and lines permanently. Even when used with the relocation kit the fittings would interfere with the header. You can see how bulky it is:

And how little space there was to begin with:

Quote:
Any clue why the head gaskets peaced out?
Original head gaskets (113,000 miles) and I was a point or 2 lean (13.5) at WOT a couple times. Live and learn.

Today I bought new coolant hoses, 2 of every size hose clamp in stainless, metal zip ties, coolant temp sender, IAT sensor, TFI, thermostat, P/S pump, and water pump since I'm right there anyway. BBK 75mm TB with EGR spacer arrived yesterday and a Turbosmart dual stage boost controller arrives Tuesday.

Removed some silver dollar size chunks of dried sludge from the lifter valley and replaced the original lifters with a set from Trick Flow. Chased the threads in the block, placed the 9333's, and put the heads on:

Old 09-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #32

those the 9333PT-1 gaskets? that's what I used. 100+ passes at the strip over 3 seasons, 10lbs of boost, only arp head bolts and they are still holding (fingers crossed)
Old 09-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #33

Good deal, good thing it was nothing mechanical. The freshening up never hurts either. Car should be good to go when you wrap it up.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (1)

Very nice build man any videos soon?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #35

Quote:
those the 9333PT-1 gaskets? that's what I used. 100+ passes at the strip over 3 seasons, 10lbs of boost, only arp head bolts and they are still holding (fingers crossed)
Yup 9333PT1's and ARP studs. 100+ passes would be nice. It'd give me a year or two to save for a Dart short block. I suspect the stock 4R70W will be the next weak link.

Quote:
Good deal, good thing it was nothing mechanical. The freshening up never hurts either. Car should be good to go when you wrap it up.
Freshening doesn't hurt, but it sure slows things down. Just broke the pulley removal tool rented from Autozone while trying to replace the power steering pump lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.wells View Post
Very nice build man any videos soon?
Thanks. Define "soon" for me haha. I expect dyno vids within 2 weeks and track vids no later than the end of October.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement