What Springs/Shock/Struts for SN95 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > SVT & DOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

What Springs/Shock/Struts for SN95

I have a 98 Cobra vert. and was wanting to lower her a bit without killing the ride.

I am thinking about Eibach pro-kit with the tokico blue hp shocks and struts. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.
1998 Snake - Topless (White with Black top/interior 1 of 218 made) Build #2992 of 3480
Cobra "R" Wheels - Steeda Tri-Ax - Flowmaster Mufflers - BBK High Flow X-Pipe - JLT Ram Air - Global West Subframe Connectors - Tokico Shocks and Struts - MM CC Plates - Eibach Springs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra_Kid View Post
I have a 98 Cobra vert. and was wanting to lower her a bit without killing the ride.

I am thinking about Eibach pro-kit with the tokico blue hp shocks and struts. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.
I have that same set-up (Eibach & Tokico Blue) and pulled the shocks because the ride sucked and one strut blew.

Then.. I got the Gabriel Ultra's from Autozone and the ride is 10x better.. and it still handles great. You have to order the SN95 GT parts because Autozone doesn't have a part # for the Cobra's- but they fit and work fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

If you want a nice riding shock the bilstein hd's are very nice and are great quality, I have the new tokico dspec which are very adjustable and they ride very nice of the softest setting, but can be turned up to ride very stiff.
I would advise against the cheap tokico's kyb's and other cheapos
98 Cobra, Procharger F1a, 17psi, MMR built shortblock and ported B heads. BBK longtubes and O/R X, Original 40's, 4.10's, stock t45, Devilsown alky injection (50/50 water/meth), Slot style HPX MAF, 75mm 10" housing, Procharger 3 Core IC, 60lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra Tank,ford gt pumps, SCT PRP
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

I did tokico HP's all around with Mach 1 Springs in the front and FMS B springs in the rear it looks pretty good I think...lowered it enough to not look 4x4...the ride is a tad stiffer but the the over all suspension is 100% better ride...
Old 05-23-2007, 12:54 AM   #5

Wow - I am a bit shocked that some of you thought the tokico's where not very good. I never heard of the Ultra's etcetera. I guess I will have to do a "rethink" on this issue.
1998 Snake - Topless (White with Black top/interior 1 of 218 made) Build #2992 of 3480
Cobra "R" Wheels - Steeda Tri-Ax - Flowmaster Mufflers - BBK High Flow X-Pipe - JLT Ram Air - Global West Subframe Connectors - Tokico Shocks and Struts - MM CC Plates - Eibach Springs
Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #6

I had Tokico Blues with Eibach Pro-Kits and subframe connectors on my '96 Cobra. It handled fine for the street.

96 Cobra coupe, sold 1/1/05.

01 BMW 330ci. White. Runs in C Modified class (#85) in BMW CCA club races and NASA endurance races. Too many modifications to mention.

04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, stock.

04 Cobra coupe. White/gray. K & N FIPK, JBA exhaust, and suspension and brake mods.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (18)

i went with coilover on all 4 corners, i can adj to any height i want and ride is perfect and smooth
Old 05-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (3)

The big question is what do you want to do with the car? Different springs/shocks/struts will cause different results. Unfortunately if you like to drag race that is a different combo than if you want to do twistys.

I have a 98 vert also and my setup is "C" springs with the back dead coil cut off. I also have Tokico illuminas and FRPP rear uppers and Steeda rear lower control arms. Our verts are heavier and the setup was perfect for the car and goals I had at the time. It rides great and corners very well. But then I had a problem.

I added a blower and wanted better traction. Unfortunately, that wasn't what my suspension was set up to give me. It sits firm and doesn't shift weight back on a launch. The tires just spin. I should have gone with a softer spring and possibly a different LCA and struts.

One other thing. The way it sits is just what I wanted but I scrape almost everything with the support that goes under the engine that goes with our cars. Hard tops don't have this extra amount bolted below them.

If you hit my web site you will see pictures of how it sits.

Chris

The Beast
Fully built and forged with Mahle pistons, SHM Blower cams, ported heads/nitrated valves
Novi 2000, 52# RC injectors, custom IC, Devilsown alky injection, SSR Intake, Steeda rails and -8 feed lines, 03 tank + Aviator dual pumps
Tuned with SCT Pro Racer Package (and everything else over the years)
Lot's of other stuff!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #9

I run the Koni Yellows at all 4 corners. The fronts are struts with coil overs and the rears are shocks with weight jacker control arms providing the ability to set the ride height and adjust the corner weights for amazing control of the driveability of the car. This is the setup that Griggs used for many years before the latest round of changes in their GR-40 road racing suspension package. I've been running this package for about seven years and have come to really like what it does for the handeling capability of the SN-95 Mustang!

The real issue is as Chris said, "what do you want from the car." The best thing you can do for yourself is to decide what you want the car to do better than it does now. Remembering that the Ford engineers set the car up for a compromise of handeling, ride quality, and traction. The best thing you can do for yourself is to get away from the "I want to lower her a bit" mentality and go for what charisteristics you want to improve. Spend some time with the MM and Griggs web pages checking out autocross suspensions if you want the car to be alot more fun to drive on the street. Unless you're a died in the wool drag racer, stay away from specialized drag racing suspensions. The reason I say that it because the more things you do to make the car better for drag racing, the worse the car will be for a daily driver. On the other hand, improving the cars autocross characteristics will make it that much more fun to drive on the street as a daily driver.

Back to shocks, the Koni yellows are single adjustables, and by using the Ford springs, you can probably just tweak the suspension to give you the ride height you're looking for, and the SA Konis will allow you some control over the harshness of the ride.

Do yourself a favor, and spend some time doing research as to what you want the car to do better.... remembering that research is alot less expensive than purchasing parts!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing to it,

Joe
Griggs GR-40 w/coil overs around, 575 rwhp & 535 ft-lbs torque
Old 05-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslobra98 View Post
If you want a nice riding shock the bilstein hd's are very nice and are great quality, I have the new tokico dspec which are very adjustable and they ride very nice of the softest setting, but can be turned up to ride very stiff.
I would advise against the cheap tokico's kyb's and other cheapos
I wouldn't say the non-adjustable Tokicos are cheapos. In fact, they are the same as a 5-way adjustable Tokico set on 3 and they are a high quality part. For folks that don't care about adjusting damping for different purposes they are a great strut for the price.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (7)

From my personal experience the tokico 5 way adjustables are crap and especialy the kyb's (put them on a friends car and they were worse than stock).
I have the new d-spec which are a greatly improved version of those.
I am not saying yours are crap just giving my opinion.
Robert
98 Cobra, Procharger F1a, 17psi, MMR built shortblock and ported B heads. BBK longtubes and O/R X, Original 40's, 4.10's, stock t45, Devilsown alky injection (50/50 water/meth), Slot style HPX MAF, 75mm 10" housing, Procharger 3 Core IC, 60lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra Tank,ford gt pumps, SCT PRP
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 AM   #12

I want the car to sit lower than the "4x4" look it has, plus handle the right and left hand daily street turns we all drive on. I am not looking for a drag type set up.
Thanks for all the .02's. If anyone else has some ideas or pics to share please do so.

Cobra_Kid

Last edited by Cobra_Kid; 06-02-2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (1)

Cobra_Kid:

Here are my thoughts as I was in the exact same position as you this past winter. Wanted a good shock/strut/spring combo that would give me good handling, comfortable ride, and aggressive look that didn't break my bank.

I researched a lot of different suspension components and I ended up going with Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts and H&R Race Springs. Maximum motorsports sold these as the main components in their "Starter Box Grip Box" package...and those Bilstein S/S's are matched to those H&R springs. I bought them separate and saved a lot of money.

Result: I coudn't be more happy. The ride is awesome. It handles great, is very well matched to any road condition, and the looks is perfect. It really brought everything together firm and stiff...but at the same time is almost soft. What I mean is that it absorbs bumps without being jarring, but is tight and glued to the road. Very good compliment to everything in a daily driver.

I can't comment on the Tokiko's or Koni's or many of the others. I can say on my old 94GT I had an Eibach Pro-Kit and KYB GR2's and it was HORRIBLE. The ride was jarring and bumpy and rattled my teeth. It also pulled and jerked the wheel around. The look was nice as it dropped it LOW, but not worth the ride quality.

That's my .02

Last edited by 94DreamGT; 06-05-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement