Does anyone else belt squeak on startup? (Procharger) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > SVT & DOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Does anyone else belt squeak on startup? (Procharger)

Since adding the D1SC to my 99 Cobra I've had a belt squeal something horrible on startup and it's driving me nuts. I replaced the Procharger idler, the stock idler, the stock tensioner pulley all to no avail. I can put a new belt on and the squeak will go away for about two weeks then it gradually comes back and now it's unbearable again and freakin embarrassing. There is no abnormal wear on the belt and I don't have any belt slippage (4.15" pulley). Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (4)

I have the same problem with my 98 cobra with d-1sc except it does it all the time not only on start up. I too changed those pulleys and only cured the problem for a couple of week. I'm dropping my car off at a shop on tuesday and hope they can figure it out for me. I'll let you know.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Are you sure its belt squeel? Any excessive belt dust? Have you tried belt dressing? I only suggest it to rule out belt slip. Then it would be something like a different pulley bearing going. Perhaps your water pump is on its way out or the power steering, or A/C. You may be chasing the wrong cause.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #4

If you spray belt dressing it howls like crazy, but I can put just a slight mist of water on the belt and it goes dead silent. I can put a new belt on it and it's perfect for about 2-3 weeks, then it will start to squeek on start-up, and now at this point it squeeks continuously and never quits, especially when you step down on the gas.

All the idlers are new, tensioner pulley is new, A/C compressor and water pump are faily new.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (6)

Is it getting any oil or antifreeze on it? I think thats what was causing mine. My latest issue is my single bolt tensioner for the belt decided it didn't want to work properly anymore and swung clear over and was rubbing against my Mezeire water pump idler pulley.. Damn cars..Its alway something.(Maybe thats where my noise was coming from, we'll see.)
Old 07-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #6

Well I broke down and bought another new belt(this is getting expensive) and the squeak/squeal is totally gone again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

I have this same issue... Im running into troubles with the 8rib conversion and the water pump pulley alignment. That is where mine squeaks. It churps really loud until I spash water on it or till it warms up.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (4)

I am still having this problem. I found my procharger was leaking and the oil was dripping on the belt so I figured that was it. I got my d1 back still the same problem I'll put on a fresh belt and its fine for about a month then it starts squealing til I put a belt on it. I've gone through 3 belts and not putting on another til it gets solved. I have replaced the factory idler ,tensioner and the procharger idler without luck. I'll check my waterpump as well btw I have a 8 rib on too.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (0)

Dang ya'll, I noticed the same problem. I just got mine back from the shop with the D1 installed and mine squeaks on startup, and with the A/C on with a quick smash of the throttle.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #10

I have had this problem and think it was due to my belt being a little old and hard. The belt was almost new but I think it sat on the shelve and in heat for a long time before I bought it. You might also try a different brand. I have had good results with Gatorback.

Chris

The Beast
Fully built and forged with Mahle pistons, SHM Blower cams, ported heads/nitrated valves
Novi 2000, 52# RC injectors, custom IC, Devilsown alky injection, SSR Intake, Steeda rails and -8 feed lines, 03 tank + Aviator dual pumps
Tuned with SCT Pro Racer Package (and everything else over the years)
Lot's of other stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement