Anyone found anything to quieten a noisy throw out bearing? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > SVT & DOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 12:40 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Anyone found anything to quieten a noisy throw out bearing?

My Spec stage I clutch in my Mystic only has 5,000 miles on it and it's really freakin noisy unless I apply a little pressure to the clutch pedal then it's silent. I tried spraying some lithium grease on it but it didn't phase it. Anything else anyone's tried aside from pulling the dang tranny and replacing the TOB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Take the TOB out and replace it with a Ford piece....Two local guys have had their clutches fail in the past 2 weeks due to the SPEC TOB's...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt
Take the TOB out and replace it with a Ford piece....Two local guys have had their clutches fail in the past 2 weeks due to the SPEC TOB's...
this one came with a metal TOB instead of the normal plastic so I thought it would be a good one
Old 11-06-2005, 02:26 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

my tob started making noise and a little bit of wd-40 quieted it up.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (37)

If it's the one that came with the SPEC clutch I'd ditch it and put the Ford piece in. I did when I first bought my Stage III and have never had a problem.

Good luck,
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOMONKEY
If you don't want to take my word for it, maybe you'll believe the internet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (15)

there was a guy a while back who rigged up a spring to pull back on something near the pressure plate. I just picked up one of the clutch pedal adjusting things from steeda and hooked it up so that there is very slight pressure on the pedal. Probably not the most ideal thing for the TOB but I've been driving with it for almost 2 years now and havent had a problem. Plus I used up the slop in the beginning inch or so of clutch pedal travel so the feel is much better.

You're not deep. You're not an intellectual. You're not an artist. You're not a critic. You're not a poet.
You just have internet access.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

http://www.ldcchicago.com/index.php

"Got 8 cylinders, uses 'em all"
"Got overdrive, just won't stall."
~ 'Hot Rod Lincoln' by C. Ryan
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBit

I have one of thoses, but have not installed it yet.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

Aftermarket TOBs squeak / squeal because they have ****ty bearings inside...that's why they don't last.

The squealing is usually caused because the TOB is slightly touching on the feelers of the clutch causing the TOB to spin and squeal.

The spring like the ldcchicago piece (which didn't work for my 98) push the TOB off of the feelers. That way, the TOB is not spinning or moving at all so it doesn't make noise.

This should make the TOB last longer as well since there's no unnecessary spinning.

What I did with mine was to place two springs from under the stock seats hooked one to another and attach to the clutch cable and then to the opposite end to pull the TOB back.

It adds very little effort since the springs are very light, but is enough to pull the TOB off the feelers. I simply hooked them against the metal that's under there. The springs grab and hold w/out falling off believe it or not. I need to take some pics when I'm under there next. I've had them off a couple of times and put them back on and they hold fine just catching on the metal.

You can actually hear a little chirp when you first press the clutch in which lets you know that the TOB just made contact and hasn't been rubbing.

I also use the Steeda clutch pedal adjuster to get the slop out of the pedal. I have the UPR firewall adjuster and triple hook quadrant, so it's set in the middle of the hook to get the pedal close to the floor.

Hope this makes sense....
EJ

edit: Found this pic:

It's similar to this, but I used two springs because they came from under my stock seats and I just hooked it to the metal of the tranny, not a seperate add-on piece.
98 Yellow Cobra Vert #1079 / 3480
Built Shortblock • JLT CAI • Koni strts, shocks, quads • FRPP welded sub frames • BBK C/C • BBK Upr & L C arms • 3.73's • Dr Gas o/r X • Borla XR-1's • MGW shifter • Aluminum shaft • FR500 steering wheel • Cobra Sidewinder seats • S351 spoiler • FMS CF knob • Saleen Front/Rear Bumpers • Black Saleens • 95 R Fuel Safe cell • Audi bi-xenon HIDs • Export tail lights. NOW I NEED A CHARGE!

MY WEB SITE

Last edited by COBRASVT; 11-08-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement