What does a 1998 Saleen have for horsepower? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > SVT & DOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Thumbs up What does a 1998 Saleen have for horsepower?

I raced one this morning and I was wondering what they have for horsepower stock. I beat him twice, but I also have 4.10 gears, although after the initial launch when I was shifting to 3rd gear he seemed to be matching my pull. I was about 4 car lengths ahead then when I shifted to 3rd I didnt pull away but he didnt gain on me either. Also when we turned left at a stop light I got behind him and his exhaust smelt funny. I don't know if he had nitrous or not because he turned of the street and I was running late for work so I didnt get to speak with him about his mods. Thanks!
1998 SVT Cobra Convertible |#3425 of 3480|SCT Livewire Tuner|K&N Filter|C&L TrueFlow Inlet Pipe|MGW Shifter|17x9 + 17x11 CCW Classic Wheels |Bassani full stainless 2.5 inch cat-back exhaust|BBK H pipe with high flow cats|Ford 4.10 gears| Kenny Brown Sub Frame Connectors|Eibach ProKit|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

I'm under the impression that Saleens have a couple of the typical bolt-ons and one helluva body kit and that's about it it, unless it has a blower, but you would have heard that. I've never understood why they're popular...they seem so overpriced in terms of bang for the buck.

VAiN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:40 AM   #3

So how much horsepower do they have stock, because I cnnot find that info anywhere on the internet. Thanks!
1998 SVT Cobra Convertible |#3425 of 3480|SCT Livewire Tuner|K&N Filter|C&L TrueFlow Inlet Pipe|MGW Shifter|17x9 + 17x11 CCW Classic Wheels |Bassani full stainless 2.5 inch cat-back exhaust|BBK H pipe with high flow cats|Ford 4.10 gears| Kenny Brown Sub Frame Connectors|Eibach ProKit|
Old 02-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (6)

Maybe he had an offroad H-pipe, that would definately make it smell funny.
97 Cobra. Bassani catted X-pipe , CDC Side exhaust kit, 4.10's, Upgraded 11" 26 spline FMS clutch T56 Magnum 6 speed. Forged Internals, JE 9cc Pistons, Vortech V-1 S-Trim 3.33" pulley, AFM PP SCT BA2400, 55lb/hr Inj. 501.71HP/415.4TQ on Mustang Dyno
Jeff
Old 02-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAiN
I've never understood why they're popular...they seem so overpriced in terms of bang for the buck.

VAiN
Because people unlike you and me aren't intelligent enough to realize that you can make your Mustang look like a Saleen and perform better than one for a whole helluva lot less if you just design the car yourself. Same goes for the guy who are crazy about the Roush Mustang. The Stage 3 is $60,000+ and only makes 360 at the crank. I can only imagine what I could do to my car if I bought it new again for ~$25k and then put 35,000 in mods into it lol. It would have a helluva lot more than 360 horsepower and handle a heckuva lot better than any Roush or Saleen out there.

Crazy.

AIM Name: Razrback16
Homepage: http://home.columbus.rr.com/razor/home.html
Old 02-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

when did they stop making the s351?, because if it was the engine that comes stock with that you definately wouldn't of beat. Im guessing the hp on those is like 325 stock plus it has a supercharger
98 Cobra, Procharger F1a, 17psi, MMR built shortblock and ported B heads. BBK longtubes and O/R X, Original 40's, 4.10's, stock t45, Devilsown alky injection (50/50 water/meth), Slot style HPX MAF, 75mm 10" housing, Procharger 3 Core IC, 60lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra Tank,ford gt pumps, SCT PRP
Old 02-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (8)

I worked at SALEEN in 97. Building the S281s I don't know how much H.P. they put out but I can tell you what the BASIC performance upgrades were.

Borla cat-back
K&N filter
Spark plug wires
Some got gears.

Some were upgraded with bigger front brakes, seats, wheels, ETC....
If you dyno test a stock 98 GT (given the car you raced was a 98 GT not a Cbra originally) they put out 195-205 rwhp. NOT KIDDING! Add to that a K&N and a cat back , you might be looking at 215 H.P. max

'06 GT Vista blue
BBK T.B., C.A.I., High -Flow Catted X, STB, G-load brace
300 RWHP- 318 Ft. Lbs !NO TUNER! 12.4 AFR

93 Cobra
306, RPM 2.02 heads, BBK Instacharger (Eaton M-90), BBK SSI intake, 42# inj., TKO II, 3:55s, MM K-member/coil overs, 97 Cobra mufflers and tailpipies. 343 RWHP-410 RWTQ.

88 ASC Mclaren-full project car.
331, AFR 165s -54cc, Comp XE270HR cam, alum. flywheel, BBK SSI Intake, BBK 1-5/8 full lengths BBK off road H, 330 H.P.-383TQ.

05 Suzuki DRZ 400s Super Moto

Occupation- R&D tech @ BBK
Old 02-25-2005, 05:56 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (4)

98 s281 - 235hp (no blower option unless you got the anniversary model)
98 s351 - 495hp
Old 02-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #9

yah them s351 are some bad mo fos
98 Cobra, Procharger F1a, 17psi, MMR built shortblock and ported B heads. BBK longtubes and O/R X, Original 40's, 4.10's, stock t45, Devilsown alky injection (50/50 water/meth), Slot style HPX MAF, 75mm 10" housing, Procharger 3 Core IC, 60lb Siemens injectors, 03 Cobra Tank,ford gt pumps, SCT PRP
Old 02-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZZYB0NES
98 s281 - 235hp (no blower option unless you got the anniversary model)
98 s351 - 495hp
98 s281- 220
98 s351-510

the 99 s351's had 495.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raslobra98
when did they stop making the s351?, because if it was the engine that comes stock with that you definately wouldn't of beat. Im guessing the hp on those is like 325 stock plus it has a supercharger
The S351 had a 5.8L pushrod with a blower on it. It made 495 at the crank. I make more than that, thanks for trying though

Old 02-25-2005, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5literstang
98 s281- 220
98 s351-510

the 99 s351's had 495.
how can the 98 saleen be rated at 220? the regular gt's were rated at 225, 96/97 gts were 215

s351's were never rated over 500hp, the SR was rated at 515 if i recall
Old 02-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #13

i wasnt talking to you razor, i was talking to the guy who started the thread, the one who asked the question, dont be so offended. Its a dam shame everybody on here takes everything so personal. And if you can beat a 500 hp s351 my hat is off to you, but i would like to see that. How puch power you got razor?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #14

Quote:
i wasnt talking to you razor, i was talking to the guy who started the thread, the one who asked the question, dont be so offended. Its a dam shame everybody on here takes everything so personal. And if you can beat a 500 hp s351 my hat is off to you, but i would like to see that. How puch power you got razor?
Apparently you missed my smilie. I don't take offense on these things -- who cares.

Well let's see my car put down 433 to the pavement on a Mustang dyno. Should put down a bit more on a dyno jet. Getting a new oil pump and billet crank trigger wheel here in a few weeks then I'm hitting the local dyno jet to see where she's at. Should put down atleast 450 to the wheels on a dynojet. *crosses fingers*

The S351 should put down between 415 and 430 to the wheels in stock form. Yes it was definitely a nice car in its day, but at the same time you gotta consider Saleen wanted over 60 grand for it, and it has over 65 cubic inches on the engine in my car (and yours) and it's blown, so it better put down some serious freakin' power.

You'll just have to forgive me, I've never been a fan of Saleens or Roush Mustangs because they're such a poor 'bang for the buck' deal. People that buy them are paying thousands of dollars for a name. Maybe it's worth it to them -- I certainly hope and hope they don't actually think they're getting a good deal.

Again, take note of my 'tone' fella -- you don't offend me.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #15

i gotcha brotha, but you know what im saying, some people on here get all roweld up when all we're trying to do is help each other. I agreed with you from the begining they are a too expensive just for a name and im glad your cobra is fast as hell because anybody with a nice cobra to me is a friend wether i know you or not.
Im gonna get my suped up one of these days so i can beat my dam friend who talks all this crap bout his vette. later on
Rob
Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #16

most s351's had an excessively conservative tune, the ypulled about 415 to the wheels, when they actually had a custom tune, it was about 450rwhp. The heads used on them werent exactly that great but the saleen/vortech intake was quite a nice piece. They used something to the effect of gt40 heads (trick flow and another company actually made them) but they werent exactly great flowing in comparison to the normal aftermarket. They are however, torque monsters, and i do think a 97 cobra s/c'd could take one mainly b/c of the weight difference, and the saleen being on 18's wont help much. But the saleen at that point, with about 1500 bucks dumped into it, turns into something totally insane...reacts like an 03 cobra...but i agree...car was hugely overpriced, but it also was a close to totally custom car (not the like s281's...something ford hadnt offered to the public in decades engine size wise). body kit, wheels, engine, 6spd or tko, gears, vortech, alcon brakes...it adds up...not to the 65k price tag...but it adds up real quick
Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #17

Quote:
i gotcha brotha, but you know what im saying, some people on here get all roweld up when all we're trying to do is help each other. I agreed with you from the begining they are a too expensive just for a name and im glad your cobra is fast as hell because anybody with a nice cobra to me is a friend wether i know you or not.
Im gonna get my suped up one of these days so i can beat my dam friend who talks all this crap bout his vette. later on
Rob
I honestly don't even think mine is that fast, it just makes a little more power than the S351. The majority of the guys in here could stomp me into the ground with 50-100 less horsepower

I know what you mean though. There are a few on every board that take it way too seriously without a doubt. Take it easy man.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #18

Congratulations, you beat a 96-98 GT. A FWD V6 Buick does the same thing
Old 02-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #19

thats strait dirty cas, funny though
Old 02-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (3)

Yeah, you outran the slowest of all the V8 Mustangs from 87-05
Old 02-25-2005, 10:58 PM   #21

Well where did truthseeker go?

Anyway, it looks like the subject of the thread turned into something else but if he would like to know

1998 Saleen S281 Mustang 230 h.p. crank
1998 Ford Mustang GT 225 h.p. crank
1998 Cobra 305 h.p. crank
1999 Ford Mustang 260 h.p. crank

The truth is (no pun intended) is that about 3/4 of the "Saleen Mustangs" everyone sees out there are Saleen clones. Truth, are you sure you raced a 98 Saleen, clone or ??? Same tailights 96-98. Like Bryan Rogers said earlier he worked at Saleen at the time and the N/A S281 Saleen Mustang recieved little in mods that would affect horsepower. The same can be said for ALL of the N/A Saleen mustangs up until today. Today they get a "powerflashed" processor and some pullies, but that's it save for the K/N and some aftermarket Borlas or Magnaflows.
With that said, TruthSeeker I hope you spanked that Saleen (even if it was a real Saleen Mustang) especially with your mods, gears and factory h.p.
The factory supercharged cars were brand new (roots style) for Saleen in 98 and few recieved them. 1999 was the big year for Saleen's blown car which still was a measly 350 h.p. but it came with a warranty from Ford remember. (Don't even get me started about Saleen customer service) that's another thread.
Anyway, like I said before there are more Saleen clones around than "real" Saleen mustangs and that's fine with me. Without Saleen's aftermarket parts business he would be a nobody. As for me, I consider my S351 R-code a bit on the slow side with 498 h.p. rear wheel (dyno jet). That is a factory supercharged car with $1,450 in mods. I did not buy my S351 new, but I do have the window sticker that says $58,000. That was an expensive Mustang no matter how you put it then or now. The fact is I'm a bit older than most of the fellows on here (in my mid 30's). I bought my first Saleen Mustang and 89 hatch back then and the Saleen had NO motor mods (with the exception of the SSC cars). That was a while back and yes the Saleen was more money than a GT then also, but this was before the HUGE 5.0 craze really started to crank up so being able to buy a Mustang off the showroom floor that could handle great was huge back then. Nowadays, almost every 4 door sport sedan handles great, but then the Saleen Mustang was way ahead of its time as far as how it handled.
As for a Saleen Mustang being a lousy bang for your buck or way overpriced, I guess it's who you really ask. Most guys like myself, that own a Saleen Mustang don't care too much about any of the issues related to bang for buck or how fast you can go for cheap. There is nothing wrong with a clone either. This is a free country. It is a product that I have been familiar with for quite a while and keeps me interested in Mustangs in general and I hope it does for many years to come.
Like BIZZY said an S351 is a torque monster (anyone with a 347 or a 351W in their cars can attest) but if you really add EVERYTHING that my car came with it does add up quick. How many cars come from the factory with a S-trim, magnesium wheels, Recaro interior, carbon fiber hood,Alcon brakes etc, etc. When i bought my car (used with 4,600 miles on it) it really ends up being quite a bargain.

So to get back to the original question I hope the numbers at the beginning of my post help out. You would know if you raced an S351. Trust me.

Marcus
Old 02-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZZYB0NES
how can the 98 saleen be rated at 220? the regular gt's were rated at 225, 96/97 gts were 215

s351's were never rated over 500hp, the SR was rated at 515 if i recall
idk lol i got that info from the standard catolog of mustangs 1964-2004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement