UPR K MEMBER INSTALL - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > SVT & DOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question UPR K MEMBER INSTALL

I'VE DROPPED THE OEM K MEMBER AND HAVE BOLTED UP THE UPR K I PURCHASED FROM SOMEONE FROM THESE CLASSIFIEDS. I'M HAVING DIFFICULTY WITH THE P/S RACK NOT LINING UP PROPERLY WITH THE STEERING SHAFT. WHEN THE RACK IS INSTALLED, THE SHAFT RESTS HARD AGAINST THE BBK LONG TUBES. I HAD THE LONG TUBES ON WITH THE OEM K MEMBER, AND SO I KNOW THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM. I DIDN'T HAVE INSTRUCTIONS WITH THE K MEMBER I BOUGHT, SO I'M NOT SURE IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE RACK INSTALL PORTION OR NOT? THERE IS A 1" BUSHING AND THREE WASHERS THAT WON'T SLIP OVER THE MOUNT ON THE K WHICH IS THE EXACT I.D. FOR THE GROMMETS.

ARE THE HEADERS THE PROBLEM, OR IS THERE SOMETHING I'M DOING WRONG WITH THE INSTALL OF THE RACK? I SUPPOSE I COULD LIFT THE ENGINE UP HIGHER ON THE K-MEMBER, BUT I DON'T THING THAT'S THE ANSWER EITHER? IF ANOTHER K-MEMBER WOULD WORK BETTER, I MAY JUST GO THAT ROUTE AND SELL THIS ONE...

ANYHOW, IT'S IN PIECES ALL OVER THE GARGAGE UNTIL I FIGURE THIS OUT, AND SO ANY ADVICE THAT WOULD GET ME GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION IS APPRECIATED.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Did you try offset bushings for the rack?
941-539-1519
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the reply. I sincerely do appreciate it... I was pretty troubled last night when I was trying to complete the job (3:00am) and went on the internet and searched the scenario out. (I started earlier same day, but paused and went at it again later). I ended up this morning calling my local performance shop who ordered some offset bushings for me. I'm going to give that a shot, and if that doesn't clear room enough I'll have to take off the header and have it dimpled by an exhaust shop, but I'm avoiding that. This was another remedy possibility..?

Thanks again...

Spud
Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

it should fix it...
Cell 713-859-1987
Old 01-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #5

The offset bushings didn't give enough clearance for the rack. It still caused the shaft to point directly into the headers. I contemplated removing the headers and dimpling them at an exhaust shop, and or whacking some dents in, but decided for now to throw back up the oem k-member until I figure out what the f*&^*. It's just way too off the mark even with the offset bushings, which is unfortunate of course, especially cause of the time invested.

I'm probably going to just sell the k-member, and keep the coil overs and a arms etc. I will research more as to which k-member is best before I jump again. The positive side to this is now I am very familiar with the job of replacing the k, and collateral components (my little silver lining). I think once I sell the UPR k member and replace it with another, I should be able to cut my time to do it by 1/3 (4 hours total).

Which K-member is the most highly reccomended and best fit giving especially my recent obstacle? I heard that Griggs or Maximum Motorsports, but have also heard QA1 is really good although I have heard bad of that too...

Thanks,

Spud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement