Symptoms of Failing Crank Sensor? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > SVT & DOHC

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2003, 03:42 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Symptoms of Failing Crank Sensor?

97 Cobra w/vortech V1; throwing P0300 code. Car is missing especially at WOT and my vortech wont push any boost. Does this sound like a failing crank sensor?

Coil packs seem ok though i have yet to check the individual plugs to see if they are wet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 05:10 PM   #2

P0300 is a random cylinder misfire dectection. I got that along with a couple of other codes until I finally exhausted all other ideas and changed my spark plugs. I had Denso Iridium IT22's in there and replaced them with Autolite AR94's. I have not had another code since. So my advice it to start with your plugs.

1998 Cobra / 475RWHP - 395RWTQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #3

Subscribing - in case anyone knows the sympoms of the failing crank sensor

peace

SCT tune by Mike Dez Racing 586.19rwhp/565.18rwtq

Whipple 2.3 - 3" upper, stock lower
KB BAP
Billetflow 100mm idler
Stainless Works LT headers with Cats and 3" Catback
JLT Big Air CAI
DynoJet Wideband Commander
Old 09-12-2003, 09:38 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (7)

Your crank sensor is fine. That's why you know you have a P0300 code. If you don't first rule out a bad wire/coil pack/plug, start accepting the inevitable...

Do a compression check and go from there.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:45 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

Failing sensor would usually cause stalling problems..
Old 09-12-2003, 11:36 PM   #6

damn...odd because its a brand new reman'd block. Only 160 miles on it. I've never even taken it over 4k rpm. Is it possible the mechanic made a mistake when installing it?

The problem, in more detail, is that the car feels like it is using only half the motor. If i really punch it i get good power but still no boost and plenty of misses. At idle the car sometimes feels like it wants to die but doesn't. Under acceleration my boost/vacuum meter shows that it gets to 5-0 hg then drops back to 15-20 hg. I was on the freeway when the light came on. I felt the immediate loss in power and then the light started blinking, a few seconds later it stayed on. The car did die on me once while i was cruising in 2nd gear, just lost all power, but that was the only time since the light appeared.

Are there any more signs that it will need ANOTHER engine that i can look for...other than a leak down & compression test?

thanks
Old 09-13-2003, 12:41 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (7)

Welcome to detonation land. That's your blinking light.

You want the answer? Leak down & compression is it.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #8

i've heard detonation before and I may be mistaken but i thought that it would have to be LOUD. I didn't hear a thing when the light started blinking. I will do the leak down and compression test anyways, thanks.

And to stay on topic i am still curious as to what the symptoms of a failing crank sensor would be...so far all we've got is stalling problems. How would a failing crank sensor affect the ECU/PCM? Would it put it in a "safe" mode. I cleared the code and still no boost.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:07 PM   #9

Dude,

Multiple people on this board have already told you how to approach this problem. Either trouble shoot the problem by addressing your ignition components (plugs/wires/coilpacks), OR do a leakdown and compression test. Forget about the crank sensor. It's not your problem.

You stated that when you punch it, you make no boost. You also say that you have never revved the new motor beyond 4K RPM. Guess what....centrifugals will not make boost below 4 K RPM.

Another possibility is that one of your cams was not degreed correctly, causing the sensation of "the car feels like it is using only half the motor". A leakdown and compression test would reveal this as well, as one bank would be totally off while the other bank would be OK.

One other thing to keep in mind that sometimes, detonation isn not audible. Numerous people have grenaded their motors due to detonation, and they never heard the pinging. Only after tearing down the motor did they notice the signs of detonation-induced damage.

Kill two birds with one stone: plugs need to be pulled one by one while doing a leakdown and compression test. As you are doing the compression test, replace the plugs. If the leakdown and compression test numbers are OK, then test drive the car and check to see if changing the plugs solved the problem. My guess is that your car is down on compression, with some existent leakdown as well.

Also, remember that you will not solve your problem until you physically address it. Typing away on this UBB will not help you out anymore than it already has. You have received advice...now put it to good use. And good luck.
  • FMS Aluminum Driveshaft
  • Stock Muffler/Dynomax Hybrid Cat-Back

Last edited by Jahel'98COBRA; 09-13-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Jahel'98COBRA
Dude,

Multiple people on this board have already told you how to approach this problem. Either trouble shoot the problem by addressing your ignition components (plugs/wires/coilpacks), OR do a leakdown and compression test. Forget about the crank sensor. It's not your problem.

You stated that when you punch it, you make no boost. You also say that you have never revved the new motor beyond 4K RPM. Guess what....centrifugals will not make boost below 4 K RPM.

Another possibility is that one of your cams was not degreed correctly, causing the sensation of "the car feels like it is using only half the motor". A leakdown and compression test would reveal this as well, as one bank would be totally off while the other bank would be OK.

One other thing to keep in mind that sometimes, detonation isn not audible. Numerous people have grenaded their motors due to detonation, and they never heard the pinging. Only after tearing down the motor did they notice the signs of detonation-induced damage.

Kill two birds with one stone: plugs need to be pulled one by one while doing a leakdown and compression test. As you are doing the compression test, replace the plugs. If the leakdown and compression test numbers are OK, then test drive the car and check to see if changing the plugs solved the problem. My guess is that your car is down on compression, with some existent leakdown as well.

Also, remember that you will not solve your problem until you physically address it. Typing away on this UBB will not help you out anymore than it already has. You have received advice...now put it to good use. And good luck.
thank you for the detailed post. I never meant to be annoying; some people showed interest in the topic so i thought i would explore it to the fullest extent in hopes that others could use the info. Thanks again for the info, i won't bug you again
Old 09-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddhaSVT
thank you for the detailed post. I never meant to be annoying; some people showed interest in the topic so i thought i would explore it to the fullest extent in hopes that others could use the info. Thanks again for the info, i won't bug you again
Im definately still interested in your original post's question if anyone knows.

peace

SCT tune by Mike Dez Racing 586.19rwhp/565.18rwtq

Whipple 2.3 - 3" upper, stock lower
KB BAP
Billetflow 100mm idler
Stainless Works LT headers with Cats and 3" Catback
JLT Big Air CAI
DynoJet Wideband Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement