88 going through reman starters - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-11-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
88 going through reman starters

Hey yall, so the vehicle in question is an 88 Mustang LX convertible, 5 spd, 2.3i4 (the starter for this car is the old style with a seperate solenoid)
I acquired this mustang about a month ago a couple weeks after I had it the starter went out (I believe the bendix was not engaging the flywheel ease I would turn the key forward to start and I would hear this whirring noise, like a starter being bench tested) being that there wasnt any parts house with brand new starters (I had to go to 3 different stores to finally obtain a starter, it seems no one keeps parts in stock for the ol girls) so I was forced to go with a remanufactured starter from auto zone, mar. 21st I bought the reman starter, put in and I was back on the road, while that one was in there, there was a couple occasions where it started slower than normal, but I didn't quite think anything of it, that starter lasted until this last saturday (apr. 8th) so I went and warrantied it thinking maybe I just got a bad reman, something like that, but the starter that I just got is already out again..... all 3 starters I've been through have gone out the same exact way I have yet to try the dealer because I know they're gonna charge an arm and a leg for a starter but I'm thinking my only choice is to buy either the ac Delco or motor craft since those are the only brand new ones I'll trust I'm tempted to go with the AC brcause there's no core charge and its a good 40$ cheaper also has a limited lifetime warranty instead of the 24 month warranty that the Motorcraft has, another thing to keep in mind is that one of the ears on the starter keeps cracking (same ear on all 3) maybe that could be my issue? My shocks up front need to be replaced as well so it's not too difficult to bottom out the front suspension, so maybe that could be playing into my problem? The only other things I could think of are replacing my cables, cleaning connections and replacing the starter solenoid.. anY ideas folks? Sorry that was such a long post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Check your repair manual to see if there is a spacer between the starter and bell housing for proper gear offset to flywheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

post #3 of 3 Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (57)
There won't be a spacer, however there should be a blockplate between block and bellhousing that also shims the starter out. Inspect the flywheel carefully teeth being damged.

Michael Bell
email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 coupe, coyote 5.0, turbo, manual trans, project in progress....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement