PCV and Valve Cover Hook Up Question??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
 
 

Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Superchargers

Gallery Corral Parts Store Videos Advertising Info Blogs Outside the Fence Corral Home

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Bonez8791's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton, Indiana
Posts: 835

Garage
PCV and Valve Cover Hook Up Question???

I'm needing to know how I should hook up my PCV and valve covers. I have a 91 GT with 347 and vortech S Trim making around 12 psi. What is the best way to hook these up?

- Hook PCV to intake and run a breather in the passenger side valve cover
OR
- Use the valve cover cap and run a line from the barb fitting on the filler neck to a catch can and run a line from the PCV to the catch can also

I really don't want to remove the valve covers and add bungs and all that if I really don't have to.

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
__________________
92 GT, Green/Grey, MM Control Arms, FMS B Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks & Struts, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels
Bonez8791 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Corral Elite Member
 
mhinchley's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (44)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 2,910

crank case pressure stock motor
Crankcase Pressure....Bypass Valve Question
The eternal and most complicated question ever.. again!

PCV to get: Motorcraft EV127A PCV Valve
Search for them on Ebay and you can get them cheap.
__________________
03 Whippled E85 Cobra Vert & 00 ZX12R
4r70w swap in progress 9-1-14

Last edited by mhinchley; 05-10-2012 at 12:06 PM.
mhinchley is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Bonez8791's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton, Indiana
Posts: 835

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhinchley View Post
crank case pressure stock motor
Crankcase Pressure....Bypass Valve Question
The eternal and most complicated question ever.. again!

PCV to get: Motorcraft EV127A PCV Valve
Search for them on Ebay and you can get them cheap.
Thanks for the links, while I did learn alot I dont really have my questions answered. It seems everyone is running it different. How do you run yours?
__________________
92 GT, Green/Grey, MM Control Arms, FMS B Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks & Struts, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels
Bonez8791 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Chipperdavis2305's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 278

ok hear is the dealski....I have 10:1 and 14psi....so if anyone will get excess crankcase pressure its me...and Im not crazy power like alot out there...

This was my first setup....

can mouted to frame rail...two 5/8's hoses from each valve cover to can. TB vacuum was plugged. Then I put a breather with no valve in the lower intake where the PCV valve was. ...

Results for setup1....The rear breather leaked oil ...down onto bellhousing...then onto clutch....yummy...I could have put a screen/baffle under that breather and probably fixed it....so fact is VENTING it with NO PCV setup worked...but it stank and was messy....I also could have ran a hose from lower intake PCV port to catch can as well.... but nope I want negative crank pressure

so after the MAF I put a fresh air source port for the PASS Valve Cover inlet...then to a T with ANOTHER one way PCV valve and a breather so air can escape under excess pressure but not be re entered into the engine( un metered air),,,,I also put a check valve in between a breather and the DRIVER valve cover...you MUST install a OIL/AIR separator after the PCV valve in the lower intake...before the upper intake so you dont soak it with oil ... but that is what works for me....next step is full on vacuum pump evacuation setup if needed.

Fact is I have both...it vented...with a PCV...and NO un metered air. In my opinion that is as good as it gets without going full Vacuum pump setup.
__________________
Dart IE 363", A2A Blow/Flowzilla, VicJrs, XFI248HR, MattMoss GT40 lower, BBRC Sumped Mp-4303, Pmas HPX & 80#Inj., NX GT40 plate kit, D&D T-56 Magnum, 373's, Full car TeamZ susp. , Decipha Tuned.

Last edited by Chipperdavis2305; 05-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Chipperdavis2305 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Bonez8791's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton, Indiana
Posts: 835

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipperdavis2305 View Post
ok hear is the dealski....I have 10:1 and 14psi....so if anyone will get excess crankcase pressure its me...and Im not crazy power like alot out there...

This was my first setup....

can mouted to frame rail...two 5/8's hoses from each valve cover to can. TB vacuum was plugged. Then I put a breather with no valve in the lower intake where the PCV valve was. ...

Results for setup1....The rear breather leaked oil ...down onto bellhousing...then onto clutch....yummy...I could have put a screen/baffle under that breather and probably fixed it....so fact is VENTING it with NO PCV setup worked...but it stank and was messy....I also could have ran a hose from lower intake PCV port to catch can as well.... but nope I want negative crank pressure

so after the MAF I put a fresh air source port for the PASS Valve Cover inlet...then to a T with ANOTHER one way PCV valve and a breather so air can escape under excess pressure but not be re entered into the engine( un metered air),,,,I also put a check valve in between a breather and the DRIVER valve cover...you MUST install a OIL/AIR separator after the PCV valve in the lower intake...before the upper intake so you dont soak it with oil ... but that is what works for me....next step is full on vacuum pump evacuation setup if needed.

Fact is I have both...it vented...with a PCV...and NO un metered air. In my opinion that is as good as it gets without going full Vacuum pump setup.
Thanks for the detailed info. After your help and HOURS of reading here is how I plan to set mine up and let you know how you think it will work.

I just installed a PCV out of a 95 supra turbo, from there I'll go to an oil/air separator canister then to the upper intake. Then I'll put a breather in the passenger side valve cover and have the throttle body and barb on the filler neck capped off. Does that sound like it will work?
__________________
92 GT, Green/Grey, MM Control Arms, FMS B Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks & Struts, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels
Bonez8791 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Corral Elite Member
 
mhinchley's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (44)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 2,910

Yes it will work, but as mentioned often when you vent with a breather, you end up cleaning oil mist off of your engine on a regular basis and it gets to be old. I did it the cheap way, then a not as cheap way, and now I am doing it a better way. Vented valve covers with -12AN bungs to Moroso vented/baffled catch cans. Motorcraft EV127A PCV Valve with a oil separator before the upper intake, and the maf plugged. Slight vacuum leak maybe, but tuned you would never even know it. I agree with the separator as when I pulled my heads off without using a separator, I had to clean the black gunk of the top of the pistons which I am sure was caused by not having one. I spent a lot of extra money by being cheap to start with, but I am running 18-20 lbs boost, so may not be as big a deal for you.

Now give it a try your way and if you are ok with cleaning the engine.....it should do fine. Only one way to find out. Some engines mist up pretty well, and others seem not to do to badly. You'll know how to fix it if too much of a pain.

My reasons for the links were to make certain you knew what you were venting and why. I just got around to changing my rear main seal that has been leaking for over a year, from when the car was not adequately vented. Luckily I was doing a trans swap, cuz it sure sucks to do one....JUST for the $20 seal.
__________________
03 Whippled E85 Cobra Vert & 00 ZX12R
4r70w swap in progress 9-1-14

Last edited by mhinchley; 05-10-2012 at 06:23 PM.
mhinchley is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Bonez8791's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton, Indiana
Posts: 835

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhinchley View Post
Yes it will work, but as mentioned often when you vent with a breather, you end up cleaning oil mist off of your engine on a regular basis and it gets to be old. I did it the cheap way, then a not as cheap way, and now I am doing it a better way. Vented valve covers with -12AN bungs to Moroso vented/baffled catch cans. Motorcraft EV127A PCV Valve with a oil separator before the upper intake, and the maf plugged. Slight vacuum leak maybe, but tuned you would never even know it. I agree with the separator as when I pulled my heads off without using a separator, I had to clean the black gunk of the top of the pistons which I am sure was caused by not having one. I spent a lot of extra money by being cheap to start with, but I am running 18-20 lbs boost, so may not be as big a deal for you.

Now give it a try your way and if you are ok with cleaning the engine.....it should do fine. Only one way to find out. Some engines mist up pretty well, and others seem not to do to badly. You'll know how to fix it if too much of a pain.

My reasons for the links were to make certain you knew what you were venting and why. I just got around to changing my rear main seal that has been leaking for over a year, from when the car was not adequately vented. Luckily I was doing a trans swap, cuz it sure sucks to do one....JUST for the $20 seal.
Ok that works. A couple more questions. Im planning on ordering an oil/ air seperator but I was looking at summit and the ones that are for fords all say they are for the newer style mustangs? Will these work?

And another question, If I do get a mist is there a fitting I can buy that screws into the oil filler neck? I really dont have any sources that can do the whole bung welding on my valve covers.

Thanks
__________________
92 GT, Green/Grey, MM Control Arms, FMS B Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks & Struts, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels
Bonez8791 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Bonez8791's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton, Indiana
Posts: 835

Garage
Ok after thinking it over I am just going to do it right the first time. I am going to plug off the PCV and weld a bung in both valve covers and run them to a catch can. Might as well do it right and not cut any corners. I think im going to mount the catch can right behind the A/C Delete pulley ( A buddy of mine put his there ) and it seems to work out well for him plus it looks good there. Can anyone give me a parts list as to what I will need to get the job done. Thanks
__________________
92 GT, Green/Grey, MM Control Arms, FMS B Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks & Struts, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels
Bonez8791 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Chipperdavis2305's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 278

venting it is OK...not the BEST. It works great for many.

sometimes the pressures build up faster than can even be vented naturally... so example if you had say 7 psi of crankcase pressure under WOT...and with a PSI gauge on the valve cover verify that.... with that being said even 3 psi will make a seal leak. another example .... a VW 1.8T for instance has a SAP...secondary air pump...to draw it out...because that is what has to be done....in order to solve ALL associated issues with crankcase pressure. Thats a 4 cylinder with 8:1 compression. What is it we got again?

So one would think that with my CLOSED LOOP system that with my valve covers vented with check valves on each breather that I would get MIST or a MESS...but I dont...not even a drip. Filter is not even dis colored..Thats because I put a copper screen in the hose to catch all that sheet so when it does if it ever does.. dont leak...it works for me. Hope with all it helps you make a choice. Its great to have Corral to go to.
__________________
Dart IE 363", A2A Blow/Flowzilla, VicJrs, XFI248HR, MattMoss GT40 lower, BBRC Sumped Mp-4303, Pmas HPX & 80#Inj., NX GT40 plate kit, D&D T-56 Magnum, 373's, Full car TeamZ susp. , Decipha Tuned.
Chipperdavis2305 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Registered User
 
yogibear357's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (40)
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,498

I blocked the PVC and ran two breathers in the value covers with baffles. I do not have a huffer. I am N/A
yogibear357 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Corral Elite Member
 
TxFireman1972's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (53)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beaumont Tx
Posts: 1,700

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez8791 View Post
Ok after thinking it over I am just going to do it right the first time. I am going to plug off the PCV and weld a bung in both valve covers and run them to a catch can. Might as well do it right and not cut any corners. I think im going to mount the catch can right behind the A/C Delete pulley ( A buddy of mine put his there ) and it seems to work out well for him plus it looks good there. Can anyone give me a parts list as to what I will need to get the job done. Thanks
Did you ever get this done? would like to see some pics if you did.
__________________
When you remove the people's right to bear arms, you create slaves.
TxFireman1972 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Bonez8791's Avatar

Trader Feedback: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clinton, Indiana
Posts: 835

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
Did you ever get this done? would like to see some pics if you did.
No I ended up running the PCV with an Air/Oil Separator and a breather in the valve cover.
__________________
92 GT, Green/Grey, MM Control Arms, FMS B Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks & Struts, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels
Bonez8791 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
© 2010-2011 Corral.net

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.