Squeaky belt - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Superchargers

Gallery Corral Parts Store Videos Advertising Info Blogs Outside the Fence Corral Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Squeaky belt

I have a D1SC on my 97 Cobra and have been through several belts. I have a new tensioner, idler pulley, crank pulley and alternator. My belt will stay quiet for a little while but then starts squeaking again. The belt gets quiet after it has warmed up and I have driven it. I have considered hitting it with a little sand paper while the car is running in case it is getting glazed. All of the belts have been Gates. Any advice on a squeeky belt?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

Maybe this is a no-no, but I used to have a squeak on start-up and since I was looking for extra grip out of my 6-rib, I tried CRC Belt Conditioner(Prolong Belt Life - Eliminates Squeaks - Prevents Slippage - Adds Traction)...on the front of the can. The belt definitely has a tacky feel to it now, it stopped the squeak and my 6-rib can make 20-21psi from a stab.
'12 GT500 PP - KB 3.6 on the way

Last edited by 1992vert; 03-15-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #3

I am willing to try almost anything. I am tired of the squeak. Thanks for the suggestion and I will give it a whirl.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

High possibility a pulley is out of alignment. Get a ruler or level or something you know is flat and straight. Take the fan off (if needed) and put the straight edge across pulley to pulley to see if they all are lined up.
1992 GT Stock H/C/I | 42# FMS inj. | 255HP Walbro in-tank + T-Rex in-line | V2 SQ S-Trim | 75mm ProM MAF | Custom Chipped | Bilstein Shocks/Struts/Quads | MM Rear Adj. LCA | H&R -can't remember- Springs | Eibach Swaybars | M2300k Brakes | TKO600 | Centerforce DF Clutch | 3.55 FMS Gear

Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #5

I will try that too. Belt conditioner didn't do the trick

Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff-n-puff View Post
I will try that too. Belt conditioner didn't do the trick
Bummer! Is it defintely coming from the ribbed side of the belt(hard to tell maybe, but I would assume)? Did you coat both sides and the squeak remains?

A stretch, but could it be your alternator brushes chirping? Mine will do that after sitting for some time and I have to pull the brushes and run a scotchbrite pad over the copper roller to silence it. Sounds just like a chirping belt. With the belt off spin each pulley to rule out that or a bad bearing somewhere.

Also, when you say you've been through "several belts", was this to get rid of the squeak or because they wore out prematurely?

Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

Only to get rid of the squeek. I have been through 3 alternators as well(lifetime warranty from O'reilly's). I also put a new tensioner and idler pulley on the car. I thought I had it cured and took it to get it tuned. They put a new crank pulley on it and the next day it started squeeking.

Now, I was lazy and just sprayed the belt conditioner on the belt with the car running and the belt on. Are you suggesting that I take the belt off and saturate it?

Last edited by huff-n-puff; 03-22-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (45)

This may sound nutty, however, I have flipped them around(180*)and that stopped the squeak...

Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff-n-puff View Post
Now, I was lazy and just sprayed the belt conditioner on the belt with the car running and the belt on. Are you suggesting that I take the belt off and saturate it?
yes, I apply a liberal coat to the ribbed side of the belt with it off the car. It will absorb into the belt and make it tacky.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
This may sound nutty, however, I have flipped them around(180*)and that stopped the squeak...
Good suggestion... Hadn't heard of that before but I can see it as something quick and easy to try.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (4)

So, oddly enough I might be able to lead you to the right spot. I've since sold my blowthrough carb'd 85 coupe (several years ago now) and bought a Procharged C6 Vette to replace it.

Come to find out, that really annoying belt squeek is VERY common in the blown C5/C6 community. People usually get the "cold chirp" then once the belt heats up it goes away. I assume this is what you have as well, as your mod motor is the same basic serp setup as my LS2. The cause is simple...pulley misalignment. One, or more of the pulleys is just a bit out of alignment. Your best bet is to have a shop, or buy the tool yourself, laser align the whole setup.

In the case with my car, Procharger F'd up when they initially did the brackets for the LS2's. After some temp fixes I went with an aftermarket vette shop's bracket setup that cures the belt misalignment. Turns out that after I swapped the brackets over the chirp remained, and horrific belt squeel joined the party! After taking it to my tuner, it turns out the issue was something really stupid, the blower pulley had been installed backwards when they did the last pulley change! I ran a Novi setup before on the mustang so I didn't know that the Procharger stuff was spaced differently on each side of the pulley......anyway, something to check.

- Travis
1985 GT with T-tops. Sportsman based 342, AFR 205's into a Vic Jr. and a C&S Billet Aerosol 800 carb fed by a Novi 2K, MSD Digital 7531. Street tune is 582rwhp at 6500rpm . Tube K-member and arms. Built 8.8 with 9 inch ends. Cage and chassis work by DMC Racing. Tuning by SD Concepts.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (2)

its most likely an allignment issue but if not just put a small dab of brake caliper silicone on the rib side and it will shut up for about 6months. I dont know if that will make the blower slip but it will shut the belt up for sure

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (4)

It will make the blower slip....so don't do that. Its an alignment issue, don't bandaid it, fix it right.
1985 GT with T-tops. Sportsman based 342, AFR 205's into a Vic Jr. and a C&S Billet Aerosol 800 carb fed by a Novi 2K, MSD Digital 7531. Street tune is 582rwhp at 6500rpm . Tube K-member and arms. Built 8.8 with 9 inch ends. Cage and chassis work by DMC Racing. Tuning by SD Concepts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement