D1SC how much boost? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Superchargers

Gallery Corral Parts Store Videos Advertising Info Blogs Outside the Fence Corral Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

D1SC how much boost?

I've been exploring ways in which to optimize the amount of boost my supercharger is producing, but seem to be a bit limited for the time due to the 6-rib belt setup that the Procharger kit came with. At this time I won't be upgrading to an 8 rib setup, due mostly to the cost.

Therefore, I'd like to see how much boost folks who are running a D1SC are seeing, as well as your pulley combinations? ( supercharger/crank )

Currently with my 331, AFR185, custom cam, I'm seeing about 12psi @ 6200rpm, with the following setup:

* stock D1SC inlet and a distorted filter
*3.15" supercharger pulley
*6.75" crank

I ran this same setup on a 302 with smaller heads and cam, and lost about 1psi at the same rpm due to better flow of the motor.

With this pulley setup, I have very little to no belt slippage problems, but after speaking with one of the Procharger techs who is currently replacing the seals, he mentioned that the next step would be a 3.00" pulley, and that I may not see any more boost due to increased belt slippage.

So my thoughts are to purchase a filter which is less restrictive, per Mike Plummers post on horsepower tips: Your HP tips
I also have a 7.00" crank pulley that I will be installing to help spin the supercharger up quicker.
This pulley setup will spin the impeller to: 56,489rpm, with the D1SC having a max speed of 62,000rpm. ( crank pulley/blower pulley x step up ratio ) x max rpm
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
627hp/565tq @ 5800rpm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

My D1SC with a 3.4" pulley and 6.75" crank pulley made 17 psi @ 6300rpm on my forged internal'd, ported head, stock cammed 4 valve motor. I am only spinning mine 51,280 rpm. I have an Anderson power pipe with big filter in the fenderwell.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff-n-puff View Post
My D1SC with a 3.4" pulley and 6.75" crank pulley made 17 psi @ 6300rpm on my forged internal'd, ported head, stock cammed 4 valve motor. I am only spinning mine 51,280 rpm. I have an Anderson power pipe with big filter in the fenderwell.
It will be interesting to see is there is a boost difference once I change out the inlet to see if this really is a big restriction by the filter being slightly compressed/pinched. With the pulley setup that I have, I would have also thought I would see more boost.
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
627hp/565tq @ 5800rpm

Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Your boost level does seem awfully low to me as well. Keep me up to date after you make the change.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (15)

Quite the difference there.......

The D1 is no little compressor.... Maybe you have some small cracks/leaks somewhere in your boost reference line, or vacuum lines.

Do you have any dyno numbers???
2013 Boss 302 #540 712rwhp/592rwtq
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX408 View Post
Running street tires at the track is like wiping your ass with a turd.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huff-n-puff View Post
Your boost level does seem awfully low to me as well. Keep me up to date after you make the change.
With being uncertain exactly where to measure the supercharger pulley, I assumed it was a 3.35 or 3.40". When I shipped it out to Procharger, the tech on the phone informed me that it is a 3.15" and that I should perhaps reconsider going smaller, particularly with a 6 rib belt setup. Here is a photo, but please note the lip around the ribs are fairly tall.

I think it will be time for me to perform some additional measurements of boost levels, meaning before the intercooler as I am now, and after the intercooler. If there is a problem somewhere, it' has existed for quite some time; on my old setup years back, as well as my new.
627hp/565tq @ 5800rpm

Last edited by paluka21; 02-15-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinerton View Post
Quite the difference there.......

The D1 is no little compressor.... Maybe you have some small cracks/leaks somewhere in your boost reference line, or vacuum lines.

Do you have any dyno numbers???
Cory,

You're certainly right, there is quite a difference. I'll have to make sure that all the vacuum lines are fresh, but as I mentioned previously, if there is an issue, then it has existed for quite some time as I ran the same pulley setup on a near stock 302 and saw 13psi by 6100rpm. Perhaps the intercooler is that inefficient that I'm loosing 5,6,7+lbs of boost?

I do have dyno numbers, albeit they were made on a Superflow dyno which doesn't seem to be all that common around here, so it's a bit difficult to compare the Superflow numbers to that of a Dynojet. Superflow is an eddy brake unit which applies load to a car in any given number of conditions.
But, the car made 511rwhp @6300 and 476ft/lbs.
Combo is 8.8:1 Dart 331 with Dss Prolite dished pistons, forged crank and rods, AFR185 heads with upgraded valve train, Freezy cam, Edelbrock RPMII, etc.
627hp/565tq @ 5800rpm

Last edited by paluka21; 02-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Authorized Corral.Net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (75)

Its easier to use a pressure hand pump to check vacuum lines than replacing them.

Selectline Dual Vacuum / Pressure Pump MITMV8255 (646541004130) | eBay

Buy a cheap vernier caliper to measure your blower pulley among other uses:

150mm 6"inch Digital Vernier Caliper/Micrometer Guage | eBay
www.mplummerperformance.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement