WTK: Boost Loss when installing vortech Aftercooler - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Power Adder Forums > Superchargers

Gallery Corral Parts Store Videos Advertising Info Blogs Outside the Fence Corral Home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (9)

WTK: Boost Loss when installing vortech Aftercooler

Getting ready to install a Aftercooler soon.....

Making 10#'s now.... with stock pulleys..

Ive read/heard you will lose some boost with the aftercooler....

Those with the aftercooler, how do you like it ,and how much if any boost did you lose...

Thanks... Joezeta
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (6)

You will loose a little. I honestly think there not worth the trouble with low boost applications.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (72)

the boost loss is most likely due to the air being cooler which will register as less boost. without a cooler the air is hotter, the hotter the air the more it expands, the more the air expands the more boost it will register as. make sense?
95 Cobra #1679
Copy and paste link for my 363 thread
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1283537-fordstrokers-363-pics.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cobraguy View Post
the boost loss is most likely due to the air being cooler which will register as less boost. without a cooler the air is hotter, the hotter the air the more it expands, the more the air expands the more boost it will register as. make sense?
What you say makes sense but its not exactly correct.

10psi is still 10psi, wether its 70 degrees or 300 degrees. 70 degrees is just going to be more dense with more o2 but its still 10 psi.

Heat exchangers all restrict to some extent especially the small ones. With peak boost the velocity gets high and is where you will get the greatest restriction. That being said you will get say 10 psi at the blower and 9 psi at the t-body. this is just due to the slight restriction of the heat exchanger.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (4)

Doesn't vortech give a smaller pulley with their aftercooler? I know for a 4.6L kit you replace the 3.6" pulley for the supplied 3.3" pulley.

About the boost loss, I thought that the charged air having to go through all the extra piping and intercooler causes the small drop in boost, not anything to do with temps.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

I think I've read that the Power Cooler only causes about a .5 psi loss of boost. But, the charge is cooler, it will help support more power, and adds a safety factor.

I've been running mine since about 2002 or so, and I like it. If I was to be doing the whole thing over, I think I'd probably go with meth injection, although my tuner does not like it at all. (everyone's different, I guess)

The Power Cooler will allow you to run more timing, and I do like being able to add ice at the strip.

I upgraded the pump to a Lightning pump, which does help the water flow in the system.

They are also a bit pricey. But, they work well and I like mine alot.
92 GT Vert, Keith Craft 306, SQ-Trim w/Power Cooler, Edelbrock 6037's/Performer intake, FTI cam, 60's, Walbro GSS340, T-56 6-speed, Spec Stage Three, Baer Brakes, Griggs Suspension, 3.55's. Best time - 11.56 @ 121.75, 1.78 60' on ET Streets (7.48 @ 95.69 1/8th) - with E-303 cam, 500 rwhp/463 rwtq

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (10)

Go with a custom air to water cooler. It is way cheaper!

'04 GT: Forged bottom end, MHS Stg 3 PI heads, Hi-Tech Custom Cams, MHS Vic Jr + elbow, custom turbo kit, Precision 7175, T-56 & 3.27's. 785rwhp/725rwtq @ 20 psi.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #8

make a custom air to air intercooler.

since i do mostly street driving and the occational track, the air to water would get heatsoaked on the street.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8tiger View Post
make a custom air to air intercooler.

since i do mostly street driving and the occational track, the air to water would get heatsoaked on the street.
If you do not run the cooler/pump on the street it will not. Just run the pump when you are going to get into the throttle.

'04 GT: Forged bottom end, MHS Stg 3 PI heads, Hi-Tech Custom Cams, MHS Vic Jr + elbow, custom turbo kit, Precision 7175, T-56 & 3.27's. 785rwhp/725rwtq @ 20 psi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement