Boss 302 crank, pistons and rods in Coyote 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Modular Tech Forums > S-197 Mustang GT (2011-2014)

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Boss 302 crank, pistons and rods in Coyote 5.0

If you are thinking about upgrading your internals on your coyote then this thread is for you Ok so here goes, I am in the process of building a B&B AC cobra kit (was planning on an old 302),but I picked up a 2011 5.0 that was replaced under warranty by ford just over 3000 miles on it. Car run great at idle but at higher RPM it had a slight rattle. Turns out number 7 rod bearing started turning. They replaced the engine and I had a chance of picking up the old engine for the price of the Core $1000. After some research I learnt that the Boss 302 uses the same block as the Coyote and Pricing on the Boss stuff was really reasonable so I planned to pick up the Boss parts and do the swap.

Last edited by Vette454; 08-25-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Pic of car with motor

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

So I ordered the new forged Boss 302 crank and Rod/piston setup from ford since I get 10 over cost (can also be purchased from American muscle). I got a shop manual printed from ford to aid in the buidling of the engine. I came to learn that the Main bearings are individually sized in these engines, not only is each main bearing individually sized on the coyote but the upper and lowers are individually sized. There are 2 charts you use to size them .One chart sizes bearing 1 and 5 and one chart sizes 2 3 and 4. There is a number stamped on the crank and one on the block.

HLKLOC3 is my block number. So HLKLO is bearing 1-5 . There is a similar number on the back of the crank you use to size with and cross reference the block number.

so the bearings can be a combination of 1/2 2/2 2/3 3/3 upper and lower bearing. You size each one this way.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

This is a shot of the page with the diagram used to figure out main bearing sizes.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

Another I learnt is the boss 302 has Cracked rods, where the connecting rod is made from one piece of metal and they score the inside of the bearing hole (like cutting a piece of glass) and once you remove the rod bolts then with a good whack you break the bottom cap off of the rod , kinda scary....

Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #6

New Boss 302 forged crank

Old 08-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #7

I found a used 5.0 intake complete with fuel injectors , fuel rails and throttle body on ebay. I also picked a new starter , alternator kit , head bolts etc etc , Im just waiting on my Main bearings to arrive before we start getting deep.

Last edited by Vette454; 08-25-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #8

The boss 302 Piston Kit comes with a set of oil squirter block off plates since they dont use them in the boss , they say it causes to much windage with squiters in the boss engine...

Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

Old 08-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #10

Happened to snag some new emblems too

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #11

Cool project man I'm looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

The Latest: 2012 GT Premium, 6-Spd, GT500 Mufflers, Spohn Del-Sphere Panhard & UCA, Ported Stock Intake
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (9)

Very cool. I plan to build a Cobra one of these days and this is along the lines of what I'd do. Modern drivetrain.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (13)

Are you going to have the rotating assembly balance checked?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

Great thread/project! Subscribing, can't wait to see the results.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #15

Subscribing, this looks like fun.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #16

Cool project.

Fracture joint rods are in more engines than you'd think. It is common to make the scribe wtih a laser then fracture the rods on an expanding mandrel. It takes precise metallurgy to get the rods to fracture but still stand up to the stresses. Make sure there are no loose particles floating around when you put the rods back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement