Radiator fan wont turn on without ac + ac problem - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Radiator fan wont turn on without ac + ac problem

My radiator fan won't turn on unless I turn the ac on. Once I turn the ac on, the fan will turn on and stay on even if I turn the ac off. That seems to be my work around for now. I haven't done this when the car is cold, only when it's hot. I'll do any other tests you guys suggest as long as I have the tools/ability to do it.

My second "problem" is with the ac itself. I use my ac literally 3 times a year at the most so it may be completely normal, I don't know. When I turn the ac on, theres like a grinding noise behind the dash or in the engine bay. I THINK it eventually goes away. I don't know why but for some reason it's hard for me to tell. My exhaust is pretty loud so that doesn't help. When I pop the hood I don't hear the grinding noise, but I hear a low pitch whine. When you look at the bottom left of the engine block, I think whats called the tensioner will move back and fourth every few seconds. It isnt wobbling like it's loose, it's like it engages and disengages. When it moves one way, or "engages", it makes the whine. When it "disengages", it goes away and sounds normal. It's not a squeal at all. The belt looks good.

I drove home today at about 60-70 mph at 2.1k rpm and the temp got to 215 and then 220 in about a mile of city driving. Popped the hood when I got home and the fan wasn't spinning. Turned on the ac for a few seconds, turned it off, and the fan was running. It was 45 degrees outside so I really want to get this fixed by summer. One thing I noticed, the grinding noise does not appear if I turn the ac on while the car is in the ON position and the engine is not running.

Thanks for reading my wall of text. I looked up the grinding problem and there was only one thread I saw and it didnt get resolved. There were a good amount of fan threads but not specifically like my problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
year??

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

It's a 2006 GT

post #4 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Okay

do you have the wiring diagram for your cooling fan circuit

I am looking at BBB industries for your car, get it up if you don't have it

then i can tell you what we can check, and see what is missing

post #5 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I was sent what someone told me would be the wiring diagram for my car but jesus it's confusing. I'm not good with electrical work at all but reading it is like a different language. I'm all ears though and I'll do what I can to keep up
post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 PM

you have the same diagram I referenced?

will make it easier

post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 AM

i can email you a copy

so we are looking at the same diagram

post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if it is the same lol. I can give you my email though, jeremyjs13@yahoo.com
post #9 of 9 Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
You have 2 fan circuits, a low speed and high speed.
The PCM commands the appropriate relay to energize in the BEC (low or high speed).

There's common problems with the connectors on the bottom side of the BEC getting corroded and not making good contact.
Also, the connection from the 3 large wires to the fan go through a connector, and that can cause problems.
Simple voltage checks at the fan connector can confirm if the appropriate relay is getting energized.

The circuits themselves are pretty simple, not a lot that can go wrong.
The PCM grounds a relay to energize it (this may be counter to common thinking that the relay is energized by applying 12v to it; instead, 12v is always there, but the ground side is switched open and closed by the PCM). The relay closes and sends 12v through the appropriate large green wire to the fan connector, then to the fan.

2005 Forged/stroked/cammed 5.0L -- twin turbos --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

previously, KB 2.6L stage2 @18 psi; 10.74 @128
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 4.0 V6 with Powerhouse turbo and TR6060
Sponsored Links
Advertisement