Replacing Diff. Bearings - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Replacing Diff. Bearings

My 06 has the famous noisy rear end. It is a open 7.5 without abs and car is a V6.
I am pretty sure the noise is differential bearings as the whine is still there while coasting. Could be pinion gear set but thought I would check those bearings first. My question is .. if I keep track of all caps and shims exact position can I pull the third member, replace the left and right bearings. (inboard bearings not axle bearing but I will replace them too since I am there) put it all back together without having to do a "set up" as you do when the pinion and gear are replaced?

Thanks for your input

Wingryder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2017, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingryder View Post
My 06 has the famous noisy rear end. It is a open 7.5 without abs and car is a V6.
I am pretty sure the noise is differential bearings as the whine is still there while coasting. Could be pinion gear set but thought I would check those bearings first. My question is .. if I keep track of all caps and shims exact position can I pull the third member, replace the left and right bearings. (inboard bearings not axle bearing but I will replace them too since I am there) put it all back together without having to do a "set up" as you do when the pinion and gear are replaced?

Thanks for your input

Wingryder
No mechanics on here? Appreciate some input on this.. thanks

post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2017, 12:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Maybe but it will be tighter going in because new bearing are not broke in. But it may not spend the $50 at harbor freight and check your backlash. no one can say for sure but I would say in my experience with 8.8s I am 5 for 5.

It better to look ahead and prepare than look back and regret.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-28-2017, 12:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Also if you don't know how to set backlash google it many videos but if you have to have the car that day go ahead and buy some shims just to be safe. FYI I'm no mechanic just have google lol. Any good mechanic will tell you google video is your best friend.

It better to look ahead and prepare than look back and regret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement