Ball joint replacement...how difficult? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Road Racing/Auto X

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Ball joint replacement...how difficult?

Both of my front BJ's have torn boots and I want to replace them (with OEM). How hard is it to press these in/out of the lower with the coventional bj hand tool?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

Fairly easy actually. I was surprised, even with my $35 Ebay press. I just had to heat them up a little and whack them once with a hammer beofre I put on the press.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

ORRR it could go like mine did and require a gazillion pounds of pressure in a hydraulic press. Thing sounded like a cannon went off when they let go the final fraction of an inch. LOL

If it doesn't act like it's going smooth for you go ahead and remove the control arms and take them to a shop to press them out and in.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #4

Is it worth paying the extra $100 for the complete arm replacement (03/04 cobra)?
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #5

I replaced mine with the balljoing press from AutoZone. As Han Solo says, it sounds like a cannon going off.

The only problem that I ran into was that when I was trying to seperate the old ball joint from the spindle, I wacked the top of the balljoint. This made the top of the balljoint slopped. So when I went to press it out, the press wanted to slide off. Took some work, but I got it out.

And for future searches, you should only replace balljoints once in a set of control arms. Each replacement stretches the balljoint hole. Replacement balljoints, including X2 balljoints, are larger diameter than the stock balljoints. This is so that they fit since the hole was stretched when the initial stock balljoints were installed.
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex M
Is it worth paying the extra $100 for the complete arm replacement (03/04 cobra)?
From what I have heard, the '03/'04 Cobra arms are a better stamping with more turning radias. They also have new bushings. They would also be easier to replace then the balljoints. So far I see three reasons to get them.
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (5)

And the $100 is peanuts.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #8

Do you need anything special to use the 03/04 arms? I have a 91, and I need to replace the lower ball joints. Do the 03/04 weight less?

Thanks,
-sam.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #9

If I'm not mistaken, the Cobra arms will be longer than your '91 arms. How much longer seems to be a matter for debate. However, the additional length may or may not create fender clearance issues for you.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #10

now i am interested....does anyone know if the 03/04 a-arms are longer than stock 87-93? and if they will bolt right in?
Track car: '96 Cobra Stock engine & trans. MM PHB, TA & rear adjustable sway bar, Koni coil-overs, MM A-arms, (K-member coming), Koni coil-overs, Brembo 4-pots w/ ducting. Torsen diff, 4-pt roll bar, .......and the list keeps growing.

New arrival: '93 Cobra
Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyracer
now i am interested....does anyone know if the 03/04 a-arms are longer than stock 87-93? and if they will bolt right in?
All 94-04 front control arms are the same length.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)

Which means they're longer than the '87-93. If you don't want them that way you can order the FRPP arms for 97-93's, and in them comes upgraded bushings and newer style low-friction ball joints.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #13

I went with taking my arms to a machine shop i have used for years. he charged me $40 to remove the old bal joints AND bushings & then install new ball joints AND poly bushings.

I remember my 1st set of ball joints I replaced. My friend had a press. I pressed the old ones out (took alot of force) then pressed in the new. I froze the new & had the a-arm sitting in the sun all day. the ball joint went in easy.
Track car: '96 Cobra Stock engine & trans. MM PHB, TA & rear adjustable sway bar, Koni coil-overs, MM A-arms, (K-member coming), Koni coil-overs, Brembo 4-pots w/ ducting. Torsen diff, 4-pt roll bar, .......and the list keeps growing.

New arrival: '93 Cobra
Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #14

Like these...
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=442
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex M

Where have you found them for $100?

Are the 03/04 A-arms longer or the same length as the fox a-arms? Can you still use fox struts, springs, etc. ?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)

He said $100 EXTRA compared to paying for the joints, and for the thousandth time, the '03/04 A-arms are longer than the fox arms.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM   #17

I just wack it with a good quality steel hammer and they fall out. Then use the vatozone C press. I have even tack welded around the balljoint in three places after installation just for piece of mind.

Last set I purchased the FMS arms with X2's already installed and a set of Delrin bushings.
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement