Stripped the bolt on brake caliper any ideas on how to get out? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Road Racing/Auto X

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2003, 09:12 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Question Stripped the bolt on brake caliper any ideas on how to get out?

I was thinking of trying some channel locks etc. Someone else mentioned a pipe wrench I am not sure what that is exactly. Could I just cut the pin with a hacksaw or something? CJ
5.0 GT40x heads,Gt 40 intake,Custom cam, Kb Blower 8-10lb,Blowzilla Bypass,FMS headers,Bassinni X pipe and cat back, cobra r hood, cobra front and rear bumpers,chrome cobra r wheels and a whole bunch of other stuff I am forgetting
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2003, 10:30 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

Which bolt?
Vise Grips.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

It is the botton bolt, actually that goes through the caliper. Sometimes I think it is called the pin. Is not a bolt head on it either it is a torx50. CJ
5.0 GT40x heads,Gt 40 intake,Custom cam, Kb Blower 8-10lb,Blowzilla Bypass,FMS headers,Bassinni X pipe and cat back, cobra r hood, cobra front and rear bumpers,chrome cobra r wheels and a whole bunch of other stuff I am forgetting
Old 04-12-2003, 02:29 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Vise Grips. Liquid wrench. Brake cleaner.

Head to the Ford parts counter and buy another bolt.

Spray the hell out of the bolt with the liquid wrench. Go do something else for a couple of hours. Spray it down with brake cleaner to get the liquid wrench off of the bolt head. Get the vise grips on there as tight as you can. Use brute force.

Don't go using cheap ass off brand Chinese vise grips.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:40 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

I just got (as a Christmas gift from my Mom of all people) one of those Craftsman bolt remover sets. You basically hammer the one that fits onto the bolt, then use a wrench to remove the bolt. I guess they work like the special locking lug nut removers for use when someone loses their locking lug nut key.

Since I haven't used them yet, I have no idea how well they work. It may be worth a shot if the Vice Grips idea doesn't work out. The starter kit only costs $20, and working on an old car, I'd think they'd see fairly regular use.

Check out my gear install/traction lok rebuild site at
www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement