Ford Mustang Forums banner

Roll Bars

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Nitrous Al 
#1 ·
How many of you fellas have a Roll Bar set of any kind? What did you get? Did you notice any benefit of chassis stiffening?

#3 ·
I'm about to be putting one of those in my '94 with the diagonal brace in a couple of weeks!

#6 ·
I had a modified MM 6pt in my '89 convertible. (It's been sitting in my garage for a while, as I pulled it out to do some interior refurb.) As castine917 said, based on the jacking the car up with and without the rollbar installed, it definitely improves chassis stiffness - and that was just with it bolted in.

Ancient picture during initial install:

We decided to just weld the door bars in (instead of leaving them as swing-out), and also added a diagonal in the main hoop. Welding the door bars in was a mistake - just made it a pain in the ass to climb in and out of the car for normal, around town driving.

The guy doing the install welded some 1x2" box sections below the floor where the main hoop and door bars landed. You can see the 1x2" here between the MM full-length SFCs and the convertible rocker sill reinforcements:

#12 ·
Thanks. Initially I wanted to keep the rear seat when the bar was removed (the cross bars are too intrusive even if one could argue it's safe for passengers). But the car and I have moved on from the need. And although the bar is a 10 minute, one-man job to remove (install a little longer due to bolt-hole alignment), it is now fully padded and covered with matching seat material. No desire or need to remove now; hence, no rear seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.