Maier Racing fox body front end - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Road Racing/Auto X

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (10)

Maier Racing fox body front end

Hey guys, thought I'd share the new front end that Maier Racing built for me this year. The project started out as a simple idea but then morphed into what you see. They were kind enough to custom fit all my parts and made molds for the parts. New parts consist of a new fiberglass upper nose piece, new adjustable quick disconnect lower air dam and splitter for easy loading onto a trailer, and new carbon fiber heat extractor hood.

The wing is from fulcrumaero.com. Results from the first weekend were great, a win on Saturday and 2nd place on Sunday's NASA norcal ST2 races. I have lots to learn about my new aero package but I can already see a lot of potential in the setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

I'm surprised how small the radiator inlet appears to be. I guess if everything is efficiently routed that's as big as it needs to be, eh?

If they make that hood in a fiberglass variant (for cost reasons vs the CF) I imagine they'd sell quite a few. There have been discussions in this forum and over on cc.com about good heat extractor hoods for Fox Mustangs for years now!
'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (5)

Correct me if i'm wrong but for that hood to be functional, additional ducting would be required past the radiator?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

I checked out Maier's website and they do list:
"8793WN 87-93 Standard Hood with Nasa Scoops $439.95"

Tim, do you think this is the hood you spoke of without the center outlet?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (49)

can you please post pics of the hood and how it fits to the radiator? I am suprised they do not show pics.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #6

straightliner, the hood on Maier's website is my current hood without the center vent.

Here are a couple more pics of the setup

The front of the radiator is ducted. That is my handywork, not Maier's. It's a bit crude but effective. I made it out of .032" 5052 aluminum sheet so it is light as well. My engine temps were at 180* during the races, about 20* cooler than when I had the LX front air dam also ducted to the radiator without the center heat extractor. It works well as is but will be more efficient for cooling and aerodynamics when I build ducting aft of the radiator. It's a simple project but I just ran out of time before my last race.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (49)

That looks good. What is the rise on the hood? Also, do you have the engine setback? I am wondering what kind of space there is between the hood and engine. There is a benefit to having a hood like that. I did not know anyone made one though. Quick question, are you using the factory front runner system, and if so what kind of space do you have between the hood and the system?

For that kind of money I think it is the best hood on the market. Your ram air radiator vent is also a great addition. I might tackle one too with my splitter/k-member unit, that way the air in directed out of the hood directly. The only difference is I have a be cool dual fan assembly that is set to pull. Do you have fans?

Can you take more pics of the hood and the clearance to the radiator/engine?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (3)

The hood reminds me of one made by Sanjo Performance. Looks Great.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #9

Is there a part number for the hood with the center heat vent yet?

At Corner-Carvers, we're not happy till you're not happy
Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79coupe View Post
Is there a part number for the hood with the center heat vent yet?
I don't think there is. You would have to call Maier to check pricing and to place an order. They can also make it out of fiberglass, it will be cheaper but of course it will weigh more.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (0)

I just put in an order this week for the new glass that Tim is sporting, as well as fender flares. Here are the part numbers listed on my invoice, prices are from the website with exception of the hood, for which they just made up a part number when I put in the order:

Part #879 79-93 3" Flared Front Fenders, New Style 1" forward offset $634.95/pr
Part #888 79-93 3" Flared Rear Quarter Panels $519.95/pr
Part #404 87-93 Racing Upper Nose $395.00
Part #281C 83-93 Racing Lower Air Dam Mustangs and All Capri's $289.00
Part #8793RS 87-93 Racing Splitter $249.00
Part #8993R Race Nose Lower Extension $189
Part #8793SB Bumper Brace w/Splitter Tabs $199.95
Part #8793HE 87-93 Heat Extractor Race Hood $460
Part #MISC Splitter Connecting Rods $175

Last edited by 06GT300; 03-27-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe de Surf View Post
The wing is from fulcrumaero.com. Results from the first weekend were great, a win on Saturday and 2nd place on Sunday's NASA norcal ST2 races. I have lots to learn about my new aero package but I can already see a lot of potential in the setup.
I was there that weekend, i remember a white foxbody chasing a st2 vette .... was that you? If it was you, you did a great job and your car is set-up really well. I wanted to talk to you but i didn't see you with your car the few times i went by.
Comp Orange 04 cobra, agent 47 sla, 550rwhp. On street tires it does 11.81 at 120mph in the 1/4 mile before the whipple. With the whipple on 19psi it does 10.20's at 118.5 mph at the local 1000' track. No prep, no burnout, just like racing from a stop light, and short shifting into second. .
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebronco2 View Post
I was there that weekend, i remember a white foxbody chasing a st2 vette .... was that you? If it was you, you did a great job and your car is set-up really well. I wanted to talk to you but i didn't see you with your car the few times i went by.
Yeah that was me, thanks for the compliment. I came close to getting around him a couple of times but couldn't make it stick. We are really close in lap times. In the races we've had whoever gets to T1 first wins the race. The car has quite a bit of understeer, per Mike Maier's advice I've made a significant rear spring rate change to get the car neutral.

I'm going down to Buttonwillow for the first time April 9. Corey Weber is trying to revive AI on the west coast. We are going to run in AIX but have about 5 guys who have agreed to a hp limit and a few other simple rules. You should come check it out if you have time.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #14

I was hoping the vette would make a mistake but it seemed like you both were really good drivers and stayed really close from the beginning to the end of the race. I was there pitting for the yellow st1 vette. I was there last weekend again and was wondering were you guys were. It's not often you see a mustang putting pressure on a vette in a race. Great driving.

I assume you have the agent 47 sla. I found out that in order to balance out the suspension i had to go with a smaller front bar and increased rear spring rates. I am the first street car to have the agent 47 sla installed, been terrorizing vettes ever since (street cars of course).
Comp Orange 04 cobra, agent 47 sla, 550rwhp. On street tires it does 11.81 at 120mph in the 1/4 mile before the whipple. With the whipple on 19psi it does 10.20's at 118.5 mph at the local 1000' track. No prep, no burnout, just like racing from a stop light, and short shifting into second. .
Old 03-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #15

My car has a MM front suspension. Still rockin' the strut front end! Maier said to stick with it, when we get the right springs under it it should be quite a bit quicker.

That vette you were pitting for is a serious machine. Sounds really good. I'd love to get behind the wheel of something like that.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
My car has a MM front suspension. Still rockin' the strut front end! Maier said to stick with it, when we get the right springs under it it should be quite a bit quicker.

That vette you were pitting for is a serious machine. Sounds really good. I'd love to get behind the wheel of something like that.
Wow!!! Now that is more impressive. Would have never thought it was strut suspension.

My friend has some serious money in that car. 2950lbs and 521hp does make for a wide ride. I too would like to drive it but with a fixed seat i cannot push the clutch down all the way. That was his first weekend at the track. Last weekend we were there again but ran in the rain, had to remove the swaybar links to get a little more grip. We went from being past by the miata's to being 4th fastest in our group.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (1)

very impressive!
~1993 Cobra R (#58), Teal Cobra (#112)
~1969 Dark Horse:
~1969 Mach 1 (project)
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #18

I'm almost finished ducting the rear of the radiator to the hood vent. I just need to seal off the small section on the left side of the radiator. Cooling should further improve and front down force should also increase.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 AM   #19

I picked up my bodywork friday and went ahead and mounted the hood this weekend. Was in the garage this evening brainstorming on mounting the ducting, but won't worry about doing all that until I install the full front end.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #20

^ Did you pick up the same kit as pictured above? If so, let's see some disassembled pics please?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #21

Yes I did, plus 3" flared front/rear fenders. I'll try and get pics this weekend.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #22

Sorry, it would have helped if I had read your previous post (with the pricing).
Old 05-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #23

Here's some pics af the afore mentioned pieces:

Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #24

Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #25

Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #26

Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #27

Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GT300 View Post

I've seen this car at T-hill in April...you were movin' out! I was in the white Saleen #770 in HPDE 1. It was my first time ever on a track so excuse me if I held you up You seemed to be driving pretty well/fast so I was wondering why you weren't running with a higher group?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm almost finished ducting the rear of the radiator to the hood vent. I just need to seal off the small section on the left side of the radiator. Cooling should further improve and front down force should also increase.

Tim, again...bad ass machine bro!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydewaysix View Post
I've seen this car at T-hill in April...you were movin' out! I was in the white Saleen #770 in HPDE 1. It was my first time ever on a track so excuse me if I held you up You seemed to be driving pretty well/fast so I was wondering why you weren't running with a higher group?
I'm just going through the motions of getting signed off for each group. I was running in hpde2 and supposed to get a check ride in the 3rd session on sunday, but when they did that magical yellow to red flag drill, they said that I passed under yellow from 9 to 10. I was almost 100% sure this was not the case, as I had been specifically practicing checking the flag stations especially prior to the passing zones. I had literally been right on the ass of the white Evo, and we both passed a small slow car from 9 to 10, the both of us catching the yellow at 10 and red at 11.

At the download session I was called out for it, and I was surprised as my whole goal that entire session was just to make a clean run so that I could get my check ride to hpde3. Nothing was said to the evo driver, who would have had to be guilty of the same thing I was if it were true. I was ####ing pissed, but without any video to back up my claim, there was no point in arguing. I was told no check off ride afterward in the paddock because of that.

At the end of the day one of my previous instructors came up to say hi. He told me that he was riding shotgun in the evo. Unaware of my predicament, I slyly asked him hey so and so, what was the car we passed after 9 before catching the yellow at 10? He said he wasn't sure but it was small and white. I then asked if there was a flag at 9 and he said no, he was sure of it. I then told him what had happened and he was bummed, and agreed I got a bad call.

I will be back at Infineon in june, hopefully get a check ride on the first day. It's just gonna suck because I will have to get used to the different track and flag stations, but oh well I guess. Stop by and say hi if you're there.

-Rob
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GT300 View Post
I'm just going through the motions of getting signed off for each group. I was running in hpde2 and supposed to get a check ride in the 3rd session on sunday, but when they did that magical yellow to red flag drill, they said that I passed under yellow from 9 to 10. I was almost 100% sure this was not the case, as I had been specifically practicing checking the flag stations especially prior to the passing zones. I had literally been right on the ass of the white Evo, and we both passed a small slow car from 9 to 10, the both of us catching the yellow at 10 and red at 11.

At the download session I was called out for it, and I was surprised as my whole goal that entire session was just to make a clean run so that I could get my check ride to hpde3. Nothing was said to the evo driver, who would have had to be guilty of the same thing I was if it were true. I was ####ing pissed, but without any video to back up my claim, there was no point in arguing. I was told no check off ride afterward in the paddock because of that.

At the end of the day one of my previous instructors came up to say hi. He told me that he was riding shotgun in the evo. Unaware of my predicament, I slyly asked him hey so and so, what was the car we passed after 9 before catching the yellow at 10? He said he wasn't sure but it was small and white. I then asked if there was a flag at 9 and he said no, he was sure of it. I then told him what had happened and he was bummed, and agreed I got a bad call.

I will be back at Infineon in june, hopefully get a check ride on the first day. It's just gonna suck because I will have to get used to the different track and flag stations, but oh well I guess. Stop by and say hi if you're there.

-Rob
Damn man, that sucks! I'd be pissed too especially because you didnt get a chance to get your check ride. Hopefully you get your chance in June though. I do remember you and another car, I'm assuming the Evo, were hauling ass compared to the others out there!

So will you be at Infineon the weekend of June 11/12? I'll be there on Saturday running HPDE1 again. Hopefully I can get somewhat acquianted with Infineon this weekend (I'm running with Trackmasters) so I'm not too slow come June! Anyway, if I see you out there I'll be sure to stop by -Ian

Last edited by sydewaysix; 05-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #32
Tob

Wow, Rob. You are really going to town with this thing. Good luck with it.

Tob
Old 05-28-2011, 12:59 AM   #33

Thanks Tob, I Plan on starting a build thread on c-c.com when I start putting all of this stuff together. Unfortunately, my wife just got notice that she will be getting laid off from her CSI job next month, so progress may be super slow
Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #34
Tob

Well, I wish you and her the best. We all get some curveballs tossed at us every now and then. It sucks but I have a feeling she'll find something soon enough.

I look forward to the writeup at cc.com. Take care.

Tob
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #35

Rob,

Where in CA are you? Feel free to PM me if you prefer? I'd like to meet up at Infineon and check out your ride.

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement