Fender liner-less on semi-street car - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Road Racing/Auto X

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #36

Trader Feedback: (0)

Well, I took the 15$ plunge for a big ol' roll of this stuff. I'm no expert, but this stuff is pretty darn sticky/tacky. I cleaned the underside of the fender with some purple power and dried it up real good then started slappin' pieces of that stuff on there.

It's not heavy at all, which I thought it would be. I used a roller and ran it over the strips and went around the edges really good. I only did the pass. side as that is the only side the liner is out. I'll test it and see how it does.

Here is a link I found while searching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7eIF4cgFx4

For anyone else interested:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...e&ddkey=Search

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #37

Trader Feedback: (13)

wouldn;t new (or used) stock plastic fender liners be lighter and more durable...
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 AM   #38

Well....as i've been schooled lately, "every ounce helps". However, this stuff is light. What I put on was EASILY less than the weight of the full liner that ripped out.

I just didn't wanna put another junkyard liner in there and have this possibly happen again. The used liner was gonna run me 15 or so bucks, so I figured i'd try this. Also, less crap to get in my way if I need to get in there to access something.

I wouldn't recommend everyone go out and to this, but if you have a beat up liner that got chewed up and spit out.....I would.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #39

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
The stuff doesn't stick for #### when it's upside down all by itself. Have you tried it, or are you theorizing?
Really just speculating...I take it you've tried it? I guess we'll find out from Tony what the real deal is.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #40

TEST MULE FTW!!1!!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #41
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

If that stuff lasts a full track day without falling down, I'll chew a piece of it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #42

What would be worse? Track day or rainy day drivin'? With our weather....i'm more apt to do the 2nd one.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #43

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Go to your local Home Depot or equivalent and get their peel and seal roofing material--Quick Roof. Foil surface, sticky butyl rubber backing. Comes in a roll, 6" wide, 25' long.
ever seen the patches that nascar uses up close? it's basically the same thing.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #44

Yea for NASCAR!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #45

So Tony...got any results (or a snack for MFE) yet?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #46

As a matter of fact...

I was doin' a body lift on my Explorer, the girlfriends Sentra was outta gas......so we took my slow race car to go out to eat and visit my parents. It survived some back road bumpage, some 80+mph interstate driving and on the way back on the same roads we got caught in a light rain, enough to use the wipers.

I honestly forgot all about the stuff untill my compressor hose got stuck around the Mustangs pass. front wheel as I was reeling it back up. Everything look just how I left it.

Probably not worthy of anything on Mythbusters, but so far so good. Hmmm, I seem to say that about most of the things I put on my car. I probably should shave off .001mm of that material. You know, unsprung weight and all. Every little bit helps
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #47
MFE
Super Moderator

Wait til he gets some track day heat in it
Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #48

Are you underestimating my daily driving aggressiveness??????? Why do you think I put Cobra brakes, a roll bar and subframe connectors on on the car!!!!?!?

Oh I get it!!! You're sayin' you like your meals served "simmering"?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #49
MFE
Super Moderator

People are saying it sticks under the roof of a car in Arizona heat, so I may have to find myself a nice Chianti...
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #50

I'm gonna take it to the park to go play some tennis here in a bit. I'll let'cha know if it survives.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #51

Still hangin' in there...

Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #52

You got it up top too?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #53

Yea, I just measured off "patches" and put mostly on the thin fender metal where potential rocks could hit. The piece you see in the picture is there to hopefully divert debris/water away from the door jamb.

You're probably thinkin...."Damn, I don't want that shiny crap inside my fender well!" When in actuality, you can't even hardly see it with the big ol' tire takin' up all the fender well. I really had to angle up good to get that pic!

On a side note, that stuff really did deaden up the fender! You can tap on it with your finger and it's just nice solid thud. Go to the other side and sounds like acorns fallin' on a tin roof!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #54

I wouldn't be concerned with people seeing it. ####'em if they don't like it. My car already looks beat to hell and back, I aint putting anything under there to prevent any possible further damage. Hell, my car never runs long enough for me to worry about anyone else seeing it out in public anyway.

I was just curious if you put it on up above the wheel too. If I did care, that's the area I would be worried about.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken03KBGTvert View Post
I wouldn't be concerned with people seeing it. ####'em if they don't like it. My car already looks beat to hell and back, I aint putting anything under there to prevent any possible further damage. Hell, my car never runs long enough for me to worry about anyone else seeing it out in public anyway.

I was just curious if you put it on up above the wheel too. If I did care, that's the area I would be worried about.
I drive a show car, so it's a must.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #56

It's just a little extra bling.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:41 AM   #57

Does the liner sag over the years? I've had my car lower than its currently setup now and I've never had a problem until recently. Isn't there sections where you can trim to avoid the rubbing?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #58

It took most of it's damage early in its life from wide R-compounds and not enough spring. It had been trimmed/cut/massaged and pulled over the years(mostly by the actual tire, not me ).

We had a course a few months ago where my co-driver kept pulling it out somehow on this big 180* turn. I have no clue how...maybe he was cutting it sharper than me or something. I was appx. 3 seconds faster so I know that it wasn't the "right" driving style that was the problem.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #59

Chianti anyone? MFE?

I've painted it all black and plan to do the other side after I get my tires flipped on the rim this week. Seems to be holding up fine to 130+ speeds.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #60
MFE
Super Moderator

I'm a little parched.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #61

Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #62

So aside from it still sticking, is it working out for you for your original purpose, Tony?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #63

Just to review, this stuff is still holding up. I went ahead and did the drivers side. I used the 'rest of the roll I had to line the roof of my Jeep when I was doing a headliner.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #64

Awesome. I am going to have to go get some today. I pulled the inner fender liners months ago to help with clearance issues (17*9s with 36mm offset with 275s were barely touching the liners at full lock). Looks like a can of black paint will be bought as well. Good tech!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #65

Trader Feedback: (2)

Isn't there some kind of control unit above the drivers side fender liner on our 99-04 cars? I started to pull mine once and saw a control unit looking piece so I shoved the liner back in place.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #66

I can't remember. I do know there is a box with a jackload of wires in the pass. fender. I think it's the CCRM someting'n or other? As you can see by my pic, I just tagged an' bagged it. Seems to be working.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #67
rab

Trader Feedback: (9)

interesting.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #68

Trader Feedback: (15)

The cruise control unit is under the driver side fender. The CCRM is under the pass fender. Losing the CCRM is bad. It's a relay for all the major components in the car i. e. radiator fan, fuel pump...

You guys do realize that a new fender liner at a dealer is $25. Hardly worth all this work.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentnoir View Post
You guys do realize that a new fender liner at a dealer is $25. Hardly worth all this work.
If you keep ripping them out due to large tires that have been moved in the fenderwell and sharp autocross cuts/turns....then I find it useful to not hafta stuff it back in there and hope it stays again for the 'rest of my runs.

I also wouldn't consider this "work".
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #70

I finished this mod today. Simple and easy and should help keep debris out of the door hinge areas. Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement