Picked up a Quantum Motorsports brake cooling kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Road Racing/Auto X

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Picked up a Quantum Motorsports brake cooling kit

Figured I'd share some install pictures and give a thumbs up to the guys at Q.M. I've never bought a kit before, so this one seem really nicely put together and the hose seems pretty durable. I needed to trim some on the pass. side and my fairly new razor blade had a little bit of a tough time cutting to my surprise.

This is the 2" street kit by the way. The 3" was just outta my price range and for what I use the car for this is plenty.

I did not completely finalize my zip tieing up, but will once I get the car aligned from the bumpsteer kit that was install last week.

Just a heads up to anyone putting this kit on, make sure you have some AWESOMELY HARD AND SHARP DRILL BITS!!!! Drilling the mounting holes in the metal bumper was BRUTAL. I know I had at least 5 bits broken. Some my fault, but I guess mainly they were just dull and a cheapie set. Still sucked either way but i'm glad it's done.

Below are just some kinda awkward shots I took while installing this stuff. I was checking lock to lock opertion/clearance and also suspension droop and compression making sure there were no snags in the hose or the tire touching the hose.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #2

I've been looking at their kit for my '07. I'll remember your idea to check clearance at full compression by jacking up one side of the car. Nice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #3

I hope everyone pays close attention to the first picture. Nothin' like a hammer to help you install brake cooling ducts.

Seriously though, the kit fit great. I needed the hammer to massage out those pop rivets for the brake dust shields. I had removed them long ago, but I used some tin-snips to quickly remove them and left the rivets in the spindle.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

Man 2 1/2" hose fits right over the back of the stock fog light housings. You just take the top adjusting screw out and pop the fog lights out from the side for instant brake cooling duct. At the wheel end all you need to do is bend the 2 1/2" hose to a oval and tie wrap it to the bottom of the strut.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #5

I tossed/lost my OE foglights about 3 years ago. I guess I coulda found some used ones...oh well. They're there to stay, i'm not removin'em! My back hurts.

I probably wouldn't have had much success trying to fit a 2" hose over a 2 1/2" opening...my luck anyway.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #6

A quick question about brake ducts.

My Carbotech XP10/XP8 combo has worked well during the Houston "winter". I've done a couple of track days with the max temp up to 80deg or so.

My next track day is TWS clockwise. You have to brake a lot harder coming off the front straight and it will be 90deg plus.

So are brake ducts mandantory? I haven't seen any fade so far but is there a benefit to keeping the calipers/lines cooler?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #7

I think it's all in what makes you (the driver)comfortable while out on the track. You need to have confidence in your equipment if you're going to be able to drive at a near 10/10ths.

I just got back from a high speed event at the Nashville Super Speedway and I can say proudly that my brake ducts survived and were able to really keep the front brake temps down. I didn't seem to have the usual bluing and purpling of the rotors like I normally do(at lesser speed/braking events).

This included about 10 or so stops per session from around 130 to about 30 to 40mph. I also didn't notice any degradation of performance over the beginning of the session till the end.

Last edited by 2k2GT; 05-24-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonnw View Post

So are brake ducts mandantory? I haven't seen any fade so far but is there a benefit to keeping the calipers/lines cooler?
I'm running carbotech xp10/8's as well, RA1 tires, and using two inch ducting with Quantum ducts & Pegasus racing hose. I wouldn't say it's 'mandatory' but it has benefits in terms of longer lasting components.

Your brake pads will last longer, and your wheel bearings, ball joints, even lug nuts, should all last longer when exposed to less sustained high temperatures.

Just like your motor oil can last longer if you use an oil cooler on track. Not "mandatory" but can make components wear less quickly.

I didn't do any drilling into the bumper on mine. The Quantum ducts bolt into the space left by removing the foglights, using two of the bolts that are taken from the foglights & thread into the clip that's factory installed in the front bumper. ( 1995 GT)
Old 11-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Figured I'd share some install pictures and give a thumbs up to the guys at Q.M. I've never bought a kit before, so this one seem really nicely put together and the hose seems pretty durable. I needed to trim some on the pass. side and my fairly new razor blade had a little bit of a tough time cutting to my surprise.

This is the 2" street kit by the way. The 3" was just outta my price range and for what I use the car for this is plenty.

I did not completely finalize my zip tieing up, but will once I get the car aligned from the bumpsteer kit that was install last week.

Just a heads up to anyone putting this kit on, make sure you have some AWESOMELY HARD AND SHARP DRILL BITS!!!! Drilling the mounting holes in the metal bumper was BRUTAL. I know I had at least 5 bits broken. Some my fault, but I guess mainly they were just dull and a cheapie set. Still sucked either way but i'm glad it's done.
Awe man, no pics, ok it has been a couple years but these threads exist for a lifetime.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #10

Hmmm, not sure why I removed the photos. O well, it's just an opening, a hose and plate that goes on the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement