Hello Big Brother - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Non-Tech Forums > Lounge > Politics

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Hello Big Brother

Gotta love Washington over reaction to a non-event.

Hmmm, invasion of privacy anyone ???

Quote:

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer will seek federal funding for a system using security cameras and license-plate readers to record and track “every vehicle moving between 34th and 59th Streets,” the New York Democrat said in a press release.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...eZ191rmo&pos=8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Jerry Rigger, Inc.

"Up here in space, I'm looking down on you, My lasers trace...everything you do"

Hey it could be worse we could to turn into the next britain....wait...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post
Gotta love Washington over reaction to a non-event.

Hmmm, invasion of privacy anyone ???

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...eZ191rmo&pos=8
I'm guessing they are going to say that since you are in public it isn't an invasion of privacy. I mean, they aren't doing anything a cop on the street couldn't do.
The Patriot Act was just the beginning, eh?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

Hate to break it to you, but some of the in car camera systems now have ALPR functionality and can store your license plate's last know location tagged to a GPS position, even if you don't have a warrant or driving violation. Big brother's already here.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

GPS chips are in every cell phone, why track the car when they can track you. When I passed out in 08,I came to, and crawled right by my house phone to my cell and dialed 9-11, the ambulance was at my door in five minutes, although it was hours later before I could remember my name much less my address.I was in the hospital four days and this pic was taken a week after that.Dont know what caused me to pass out, but do know I lacerated the top of my head, 14 stitches in my forehead, both eyes black, along with the bruising shown here. 2 years and I'm still on medication for the whiplash.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlarue View Post
GPS chips are in every cell phone, why track the car when they can track you. When I passed out in 08,I came to, and crawled right by my house phone to my cell and dialed 9-11, the ambulance was at my door in five minutes, although it was hours later before I could remember my name much less my address.I was in the hospital four days and this pic was taken a week after that.Dont know what caused me to pass out, but do know I lacerated the top of my head, 14 stitches in my forehead, both eyes black, along with the bruising shown here. 2 years and I'm still on medication for the whiplash.
you look like a zombie in that picture.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #7

They track the car because they can. When driving through a parking lot, they have a camera that picks up the license plate image and OCR the number. The number gets stored in a database and it is correlated to a GPS location at the time the image was recorded. The length of time the database entry is kept until it rolls over and the old records are deleted is a variable setting. Already being done in an effort to shorten the time to hunt down criminals when they know the plate number of the vehicle involved. Assuming it wasn't a stolen car used in a crime.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #8

You guys really dont understand that road to totalitarian "big brother" all
seeing all knowing government is paved with these bricks do you ????

Do you think totalitarian governments just instantly create themselves ?

No, your freedoms and privacy are slowly widdled away and shrug'd off
by people like you as "no big deal" .......... until your grandchild turns
around and all of a sudden he is living in Stasi Land .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasi

911 trace back is NOT the same as recording and tracking EVERY car driving in lower Manhattan.

It's a great idea until the Government abuses it .......... oh, but wait the Government would never do that

Last edited by r.barn; 05-04-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #9

I neither said it was "no big deal" nor did I mean to imply it was "no big deal". I only stated what can be done now, and is being done now. Did you previously know they have systems to automate license plate tracking? If no, now you do.

edit - the databases are not national, they are precinct specific, each precinct sets the retention time of a database entry. This is assuming they have the ALPR systems to begin with, most don't.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #10

I look a little better now, in fact was just offered a starring role in an upcoming film. Thats right they're doing a remake of Wolfman versus Frankenstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement