PMS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Engine Management Systems > PMS Tuning

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

PMS

Hi, i have a PMS and i dont know any shop that will work w/ it. i live in houston tx. Any ways should i just get rid of it and get a chip? most of the shop i asked said they can make me a chip that will work better. what do u guy think? thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (26)

why dont you just learn how to use it?

www.stangtuning.com

adam
stage 3 "Y" heads/ Bennett Racing intake, TFS#1, long tubes, 3"Pro-Dumps/H-pipe, TKO500, 3.55's, Home made TA and PHB, cobra brakes, 22 gallon Fuel Safe Cell, PMS tuned etc.. built for twisties
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #3

well i havent messed w/ it for about 5 years now. im sure after playing w/ it for a while ill figure it out again. but the main thing is that i need a dyno to see where the air/fuel is at. and most shop around here dont want to do anything w/ it. i took it to one place that i talked to on the phone said they could do it. so i brought the car to them after picking it up i looked throught the menu and nothing was changed. so i got screwed. not going that route any more. how much could i get for the PMS if i sell it? thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM   #4

im sure there is a shop around you that will do it and do it right.

as for a price, depends on which series the PMS is and what else you have to go with it (MAP sensor, software etc).

you may want to just invest into a wideband o2 sensor (innovate motorsports has good ones for reasonable prices) and tune it yourself. thats what i did and it worked out well, i never have to pay for a dyno tune again. and at $500-$600 each time buying the wideband and learning how to use the PMS has paid for itself many times over.

adam
stage 3 "Y" heads/ Bennett Racing intake, TFS#1, long tubes, 3"Pro-Dumps/H-pipe, TKO500, 3.55's, Home made TA and PHB, cobra brakes, 22 gallon Fuel Safe Cell, PMS tuned etc.. built for twisties
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #5

Adam,
i honestly dont remember what all i have, i think i do have the map sensor though. but for real thats one reason y i gave up on the mustang. i tried calling every performance shop and no one would tune it using the PMS. only that one shop Strickly Performance (owner Richard(i think)) they been in magazines before said he could do it. well like i said i got screwed by him. cost my hundreds of dollars and nothing was done. very disapointed. Everyone wants to sell me a chip. what othe option do i have. They all told me that PMS is not a good system. its hard to use and not worth a crap. what can i say. One shop says i have to go w/ the FAST. i was like wow. im not trying to race or anything just want my car to be tune.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #6

the PMS is a great tuning device and one of the easiest to learn how to use..... of course everyone is going to try to sell you something or tell you what you have is junk... at that moment id walk out of their shop.

im not trying to tell you what to do but i would seriously consider learning how to use it. are you sure the other shop did nothing? i mean, there are a bunch of different tables that can be changed and by the sound of it you might not know how to navigate through them.

adam
Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #7

im for sure no expert or anything close to that. but i know it came w/ a booklet of tables and everything that i filled in the boxes i wrote down in the book. so i went through all the tables that i had and saw that nothing was changed. once again, im no expert but i really think i that i got screwed. i even went as far as buying someone a t.v. cause they said they could do it w/ out a dyno. we drove it down a strip while he was in the passenger side. i dont remember correctly but i think he was watching the voltage or something on the o2 screen. thats how he did the tune. i dont know if it worked or not but i took him to BestBuy and bought him a t.v. like i said i would. that was the last time me or anyone ever touch the PMS.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #8

ok, well you can get relatively close without a wideband o2 BUT not precise.

id really hate to see you loose the ability to adjust things yourself because others have been incompetent.

adam
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #9

ok lets just say i keep the PMS what all do i have to invest in. a lap top for recording data, some type of 02 sensor program. how much more am i looking to spend?? what other option do i have?? please advise. thank you for all your help.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #10

you dont have to have a laptop or the software to datalog right away... you can tune it with a wideband o2 and th ehandheld you have. widebands can be had for $300+

its really up to you, you could get likely $500+ for the PMS you have. if you want to take that money and get a custom chip burned at a dyno tuner and be done with it then do that. although down the road if you change anything motor related you will have to take it back there.

in your case it seems like you just want it running and dont have any plans on changing anything so i might be inclined to sell the PMS if i were you.

i on the other hand will change things in my engine in the future and appreciate being able to change the tune without spending more money

adam
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #11

yeah that was the plan 5 years ago. was to beable to tune it myself w/out paying someone every time i change something. im at a point where im happy w/ it now. once i get it back on the street running good i dont want to have to do any more modification. no more power adder. the biggest thing im looking at now is buying a Gear Vendors so it will be more streetable. get it painted, install some comfortable seats put the stereo system back in. ill be a happy camper. thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (6)

where are you located?

We can tune a PMS no problem (even the old school calculator looking ones!) but we are in the Atlanta area.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (30)

re

you can call afm up and tell them what you got and they will fax you a tune
Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #14

i agree , rick anderson is pretty good about calling back . he seems like a cool dude
Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (1)

I have a PMS and have spoke with rick many times and found him very pleasant to talk with. Just don't call him with questions until you have been to www.stangtuning.com
He seems like a very busy guy.
'86 GT T-Tops TFTW heads, F-Cam,Gt40 intake 13.4 psi @6000rpm 3:73 gears, Tremec TKO600,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement