Anderson Ford Motorsport PMS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Engine Management Systems > PMS Tuning

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Anderson Ford Motorsport PMS

Looking into buying the new PMS Anderson has out and just wondered if anyone has one yet and how easy they make it to tune?
80mm MAF
75mm TB
3:55 Gears
Short Throw
TFS Track Heat Intake

Blown 347 Stroker In The Works!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #2

i got one a couple of months ago and i dont know how people do major mods without one. i also bought the datalogging software and a wideband to help me tune, and man it does wonders. i love it and it is super easy and if i have any questions www.stangtuning.com has all the answers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #3

I'm hoping to buy one this summer. they seem really helpful for modding
80mm MAF
75mm TB
Short Throw
TFS Track Heat Intake

Old 02-15-2005, 09:04 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (40)

Another happy PMS user. I also run the wideband and datalogging software. It makes it pretty easy to tune.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (2)

Lilwhite:

I got one last year and am very happy with it... If you looking to get into tuning it is a great place to start... I was able to take care of a part throttle knock, tune for nitrous, and get my car to pass emissions with mine... I plan on using it to tune the new 408 going into the car this winter... Check out www.stangtuning.com for other users of the PMS...

TTYL...
Old 02-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (34)

another happy PMS user...third one so far...

Very user friendly.
and another vote for www.stangtuning.com
Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #7

I never realized these were so popular....are there any other tuning devices that are about as good?
80mm MAF
75mm TB
Short Throw
TFS Track Heat Intake

Old 02-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #8

Another happy PMS user... simply an awesome tool! I also bought the whole kit and kahboodle (sp? LOL!) 2004 PMS, InterACQ tuning/datalogging software, and WB02.

www.stangtuning.com is the place to be if you have a PMS! Great people as well!
1986 GT Hatchback: Vortech V2 SQ, AFM PP, Series III PMS, Pro-M 80 N/A cal, E7s, Performer RPM intake, 75mm TB, 42lb injectors, GSS340, LT headers, 31-spline axles & 9" ends, Pro3i adj. LCA's, FRPP HD UCA's, '99 Cobra wheels, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HDs, Bullitt/SN95 13"/11.65" brakes
Old 02-15-2005, 10:54 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

OK, for you guys that are currently running a PMS, do you feel that it the capability to tune my 408/YSi combo I am building well enough to run mid to high 5's in the 1/8? I am leaning toward the BigStuff3 system right now, but I REALLY like the ease of tuning with the PMS. Also, it plugs right in, no rewring necessary. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #10

I just ordered mine yesterday
Old 02-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS302
OK, for you guys that are currently running a PMS, do you feel that it the capability to tune my 408/YSi combo I am building well enough to run mid to high 5's in the 1/8? I am leaning toward the BigStuff3 system right now, but I REALLY like the ease of tuning with the PMS. Also, it plugs right in, no rewring necessary. What are your thoughts on this?
The PMS will run your 408/YSI combo. Tuning with the PMS is pretty easy and it is easy to install.

If you don't mind installing a new harness than the BS3 might be better for you. The BS3 has WB correction which is a nice feature. It probably is a little harder to tune but once you get the VE tables set it will basically run itself from what I understand.

Also you can look into the AEM. That is a plug and play setup that uses the factory harness and sensors. It also has WB correction.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #12

Don't waste your time and money with PMS. Rick Anderson does not know what FMS sells. I have a 410 ci (351 based) F350 and am presently using an AEM EMS for a Mustang and it has taken care of my problems which Rick said was not possible.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 PM   #13

I'm curious with what problems you where having?????????
Old 02-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Don't waste your time and money with PMS
That kind of blanket statement does no one any good. Fact is, if you do a search and put a little effort into it, you'll see that the PMS is probably the easiest to use as well as having some good support and people who can help you out over at stangtuning.com.

I guess the hordes of people that praise it are delusional and have their heads up their arses also

I am a tech junkie and wouldn't mind digging into one of the other tuners, but I just don't have the time to wade through all the limited information on certain tuning aids. The PMS had a handheld unit you can adjust parameters with in a few seconds as opposed to lugging a laptop with for most other tuners. Do some research and see what people are saying about them. Heck, even download some of the software at manufacturers sites and get a feel for how they operate.

The great thing about the EEC forum is how everyone gets along. Seem to be a different breed of people. Well, until the big F350 trucker came along
ET's --> 11.00@124 w/1.50 60ft
Old 02-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper
I'm curious with what problems you where having?????????
Serious detonation from a too much/too fast timing curve from the Mustang EEC based on a vehicle weight of around 3200# versus my truck weight of 5600#.

As for Deepstage, "The great thing about the EEC forum is how everyone gets along. Seem to be a different breed of people. Well, until the big F350 trucker came along ." I spent many hours researching different approaches to my problem. Your engine vendor, DSS, suggested Anderson and as I stated I talked with Rick. But as I aslo stated, the man did not know exactly what he was talking about. This would lead me to be extremely hesitant about his recommendations and subsequent support if his product was utilized. I also went to the manufacturer of the PMS's website and looked at the information available and found that for data-logging a pc would also be required. The EMS that I ended up with performs all that I need and allows for easy table editing. As a complete stand-alone system, the EEC is not present to "learn" around any tuning inputs made by the PMS. If you want to check out the EMS, just go the the AEM website and get into the forum and download the actual software used not just a demo.

Also, Deepstage, I find that if you leave your feelings at home on the nigtstand that they won't get hurt as they seem to have been here!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #16

[QUOTE=GrumpyF350]Serious detonation from a too much/too fast timing curve from the Mustang EEC based on a vehicle weight of around 3200# versus my truck weight of 5600#.

I spent many hours researching different approaches to my problem. Your engine vendor, DSS, suggested Anderson and as I stated I talked with Rick. But as I aslo stated, the man did not know exactly what he was talking about. This would lead me to be extremely hesitant about his recommendations and subsequent support if his product was utilized. I also went to the manufacturer of the PMS's website and looked at the information available and found that for data-logging a pc would also be required. The EMS that I ended up with performs all that I need and allows for easy table editing. As a complete stand-alone system, the EEC is not present to "learn" around any tuning inputs made by the PMS. If you want to check out the EMS, just go the the AEM website and get into the forum and download the actual software used not just a demo.[QUOTE=GrumpyF350]

The PMS would have been able to help your problem out with no problem IMHO.

As far as Rick not knowing anything, Rick is the man when it comes to PMS tuning. I have spoken to him MANY times with questions and problems and he ALWAYS has an answer. He is great to deal with. Doug at EFI Systems(the maker of the PMS) also is great to deal with. Some of the best tech support I have had to date.

Yes you do need a laptop if you want to datalog. I run the Interacq program and LOVE it. It's a great tuning tool. I highly recommend it. Between PMS and Interlog/Interacq programI feel that it would work well for 98% of the users.

There are better systems out there though I have to admit. The best thing about the PMS is the ease of use. I don't think you can find an easier system to use that does as much that just plugs right in. A system like the AEM, FAST, DFI etc does have more bells and whistles. I am pretty familar with them. The biggest thing that I do miss is the wideband correction. These sytems are not for the beginner in my opinion though.

I would not bad mouth the PMS espically if you have not used it. There are a ton of happy people that are using it.

This is my .02 if anybody cares.

Last edited by stangjumper; 02-21-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #17

[QUOTE=stangjumper][QUOTE=GrumpyF350]Serious detonation from a too much/too fast timing curve from the Mustang EEC based on a vehicle weight of around 3200# versus my truck weight of 5600#.

I spent many hours researching different approaches to my problem. Your engine vendor, DSS, suggested Anderson and as I stated I talked with Rick. But as I aslo stated, the man did not know exactly what he was talking about. This would lead me to be extremely hesitant about his recommendations and subsequent support if his product was utilized. I also went to the manufacturer of the PMS's website and looked at the information available and found that for data-logging a pc would also be required. The EMS that I ended up with performs all that I need and allows for easy table editing. As a complete stand-alone system, the EEC is not present to "learn" around any tuning inputs made by the PMS. If you want to check out the EMS, just go the the AEM website and get into the forum and download the actual software used not just a demo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyF350

The PMS would have been able to help your problem out with no problem IMHO.

As far as Rick not knowing anything, Rick is the man when it comes to PMS tuning. I have spoken to him MANY times with questions and problems and he ALWAYS has an answer. He is great to deal with. Doug at EFI Systems(the maker of the PMS) also is great to deal with. Some of the best tech support I have had to date.

Yes you do need a laptop if you want to datalog. I run the Interacq program and LOVE it. It's a great tuning tool. I highly recommend it. Between PMS and Interlog/Interacq programI feel that it would work well for 98% of the users.

There are better systems out there though I have to admit. The best thing about the PMS is the ease of use. I don't think you can find an easier system to use that does as much that just plugs right in. A system like the AEM, FAST, DFI etc does have more bells and whistles. I am pretty familar with them. The biggest thing that I do miss is the wideband correction. These sytems are not for the beginner in my opinion though.

I would not bad mouth the PMS espically if you have not used it. There are a ton of happy people that are using it.

This is my .02 if anybody cares.
Well said. Glad this didn't turn into a rumble. See, PMS (www.stangtuning.com) users are a different breed! Easy going! Just a little weak humor, hahaha!
1986 GT Hatchback: Vortech V2 SQ, AFM PP, Series III PMS, Pro-M 80 N/A cal, E7s, Performer RPM intake, 75mm TB, 42lb injectors, GSS340, LT headers, 31-spline axles & 9" ends, Pro3i adj. LCA's, FRPP HD UCA's, '99 Cobra wheels, Mach 1 springs, Bilstein HDs, Bullitt/SN95 13"/11.65" brakes
Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #18

Yes I am on there just about everyday (underpsi68). One of the best sites out there. A great bunch of people. Let's keep it that way.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjumper
Yes I am on there just about everyday (underpsi68). One of the best sites out there. A great bunch of people. Let's keep it that way.
Same here...
Old 02-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #20

Hey Grumpy, my feelings aren't hurt, lol. I'm glad the AEM unit works for you and you're happy with it. I actually did look at it previously. I just believe the PMS will do everything I need, won't require as much time to set up, and I'll be able to tune with the wideband, datalog, and make adjustments without hooking up the laptop if I so desire. And if you look at it this way, for every AEM system out there, there are probably 100 PMS units out there working wonders for people. Not to say the AEM won't become a legend, but the standalone market seems to be getting pretty intense and it will have it's competitors.

Glad to hear ya found your solution though, that's what it's all about.

Paul
ET's --> 11.00@124 w/1.50 60ft
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #21

Trader Feedback: (15)

I realize this thread is older than DIRT and the Mayflower's combined age, but would a PMS be something for a person who has experience with building engines but no experience with tuning? I guess I am asking if it is easy to catch on and do what I want with the tuner. Thanks and sorry again for responding in a thread older than dirt.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #22

The PMS is a very good tuner. It is one of the easiest if not the easiest to use. Like everything in life, it is only as good as the time you invest in it. The problem with most people running the PMS is they buy it than don't want to invest any time in it. The just ask for a "tune". There is no one tune. You have to tune each engine seperately. There are quite a few "startup tunes" on stangtuning.com to get you started.

The PMS does have it limitations. Do a search and you will find out what they are as it has been discussed numerous times.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #23

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #24

Trader Feedback: (19)

Garage
I know this thread again is last stated by Rock4451 "older then dirt" but i have also been looking into the AFM PMS for my 1995 with a 5.8 and to my understanding im going to have to put in the time to learn it, stangtuning.com doesnt seem to have much info to learn up on the pms.
Im going to be dropping in a bigger cube motor with a ysi supercharger and snow perf with bigger injectors Id rather learn how to tune it myself rather then keep going to a dyno to get it tunned.
A good item to get for any stang?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #25

Carbs are older than dirt but are still used with great success today. There is a place for everything. Is the PMS a good system? Yes Is it the best out there? It depends on your goals and abilities are.

There isn't to much on how to learn the PMS because it is really just +/- on the fuel and timing at different rpms/loads. It is that simple. Now how to tune an engine is another story. Most don't really know how to tune correctly. They buy the PMS and post up that they need a "tune". There is no one tune. You have to tune YOUR combo. If you know what to look for tuning isn't as complicated as most believe it is. There are classes out there that will teach you how to tune, but they can get costly. There is tuning info on the web but just be careful on who you listen to. There is a LOT of bad info out there especially on this web site. To many keyboard jockeys that haven't done it themselves but have heard this or that.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #26

I completely agree with you stangjumper, a lot of the people out there do exactly that. They buy a system without knowing what they are doing and complain that it doesn't work, which leads to them talking trash about a product. I have a PMS gen 4 and it works great.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mustang4me View Post
I completely agree with you stangjumper, a lot of the people out there do exactly that. They buy a system without knowing what they are doing and complain that it doesn't work, which leads to them talking trash about a product. I have a PMS gen 4 and it works great.
I just bought an S-trim vortech that's going on a stock shortblock (for now, r-302 blocked 331 stroker soon) would this allow me to easily tune the combination(s)? Basically i'm just asking if they're worth the money to get this up and working correctly.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #28

Dangerdan408, I have had the pms on 3 different combinations with success. I would highly recommend the PMS and wideband o2 setup to anyone.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #29

Cool enough, I guess when some of that student refund money comes in I'll spend some on trying to snag a used PMS unit off someone and get that R302 block machined for the 331 setup.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #30

Trader Feedback: (143)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mustang4me View Post
better yet buy a system and never read the instructions and try to tune

i love the simplicity yet its effectiveness... 705rwhp 775rwtq

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Old 06-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik5oh View Post
Another happy PMS user... simply an awesome tool! I also bought the whole kit and kahboodle (sp? LOL!) 2004 PMS, InterACQ tuning/datalogging software, and WB02.

The Original Stang Tuning.com is the place to be if you have a PMS! Great people as well!
that stangtuning link takes me to a web page but i can seem to enter the site. how do i get into the site to read post?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #32

Trader Feedback: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyruststang50 View Post
that stangtuning link takes me to a web page but i can seem to enter the site. how do i get into the site to read post?
Looks like that 7 year old link is dead?

Try this: Stang Tuning

That appears to be the same site to me, although I haven't been on either in quite some time.

Last edited by rel3rd; 06-01-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #33

Trader Feedback: (26)

yes it is now stangtuning.net from what I hear some guys from the old site that got shut down opened a new site and are running it now. Lots of good info.

84 Mustang GT, 408 super Vic intake, high port heads, pro system 1000cfm carb, inductions solutions sledge hammer nitrous system, glide. Full TeamZ suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement